Changes this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saints11
Club Player

Changes this week

Anybody Have any good thoughts on who we should bring in Cos I have no Idea cos I wouldn't like changing a winning side.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

allen out

in schneider

is the only change i would make. wouldnt drop Gwilt like everyone is saying

sainter27
Club Player

probably, Schnieder and M Gardiner in- Gwilt and Allen out.

Red
Club Player

Wouldn't bring Gardiner in. Kosi plays better if he is allowed to play around

the ground. The team looks better with the smaller side, we seem to have

more run.

4ever_saint
Club Player

geary should get a game this week, been BOG at casey two weeks in a row. probably a good match for Cyril Rioli in the backline for us.

so for mine

in: geary, schneider
out: gwilt, allen

Quixote
SS Life Member

I reckon Jimmy will stay - for this week anyway. Gets another chance.

Don't see MG coming in either.

If Allen goes I'd like another tall to replace him - Ferg.

Who goes out for Schnieder is anyone's guess.

I wouldn't agree with it, but Armitage may be in trouble for Roy.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
mick13
Club Player

I dont think we can risk Gwilt having another bad game against a quality side. Against Carlton we can make up for it but Hawks will punish his mistakes.

Gwilt, Allen out. Gardiner and Birss in.

rexy
SS Life Member

If we drop Allan for Scneider we are to short up forward when Kosi is rucking, There 2nd tall will be able to play loose and double team Roo which will cause easy turnovers. If Allan is dropped it will be to bring in a second ruck man however I dont want Kosi left as a permenant forward?

In Geary Out Gwilt or Armitage depending on size balance wanted?

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont think we can just keep Allen because he stops another person matching up on Rooy. He needs to get some possessions and goals and he has had neither the last 2 weeks.

Outs Allen, Jimmy
Ins MG Schneider

iceman
Club Player

Gwilt had a dog of a game last week, but as strange as it is, i wouldn't mind seeing him given another crack.

I would probably only make Allen out for MG.

Yes it's good to get Kosi out and about, but we can get a good swing happening with Gardi, King and Kosi, MG is handy up front aswell.

It will be good to have 3 blokes have a crack at 2 Hawthorn ruckman who are in good form.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont think we can just keep Allen because he stops another person matching up on Rooy. He needs to get some possessions and goals and he has had neither the last 2 weeks.

Outs Allen, Jimmy
Ins MG Schneider
Yeah, although RL might keep it to 1 change only. Could be any combination of the names mentioned !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iceman wrote:Gwilt had a dog of a game last week, but as strange as it is, i wouldn't mind seeing him given another crack.

Yes it's good to get Kosi out and about, but we can get a good swing happening with Gardi, King and Kosi, MG is handy up front aswell.

It will be good to have 3 blokes have a crack at 2 Hawthorn ruckman who are in good form.
I dont think either ruckman can play forward. Neither can take a contested amrk and are to slow. MG probably hasnt kicked a goal for 4 years or if he has it wouldnt be more than 2.

iceman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
iceman wrote:Gwilt had a dog of a game last week, but as strange as it is, i wouldn't mind seeing him given another crack.

I dont think either ruckman can play forward. Neither can take a contested amrk and are to slow. MG probably hasnt kicked a goal for 4 years or if he has it wouldnt be more than 2.
When he came back after all his issues injuries etc. for West Coast, was played as a permanent forward while Cox was in the ruck, was having an ok year in either their premiership or runners up year before I can't remember if it were injury or losing his s**t again cost him.

Does move pretty well infront of the footy and will attract opposition attention.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

To get the Kingy, Gardi, Kosi combo to work would require lots of rotations between ruck, FF and bench

King to play mainly ruck, then bench

Gardi to share most of the ruck duties with a bit of FF and a bit of bench

Kosi to play mainly FF with a 5 minute burst in the ruck each Q and minimal time on the bench.

For this to work, it would require plenty of precision, discipline and organization. Because of the complexities of it, there wouldn't be much room for flexibility !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

MG has the capacity to create a contest deep in the forward line. That is when the little blokes (Milney) come into their own !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

When he came back after all his issues injuries etc. for West Coast, was played as a permanent forward while Cox was in the ruck, was having an ok year in either their premiership or runners up year before I can't remember if it were injury or losing his s**t again cost him.

Does move pretty well infront of the footy and will attract opposition attention.
Did you see him GF day when they lost against Sydney. They lost that game because played FF instead of Lynch. No his days of forward play are over I think.

JeffDunne

I reckon the question should be who's earnt a call up.

We don't need to making changes for the sake of it.

rexy
SS Life Member

To play forward in todays game you must also provide preassure on the ball coming out and chase your defenders down the ground or they will expose you. Dont think MG or King can do this as a FF. If Allan goes out we must have another option to fill his space/go short or use Kosi as a permenant FWD.

Maybe this year?
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I reckon the question should be who's earnt a call up.

We don't need to making changes for the sake of it.
Like I said before:

A very good headache for RL and the selectors to have !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

IMO we can afford to keep MG and Schneider out for another couple of weeks...
So for me the only 2 up for selection are Birss and Geary...
If i were in charge it would be Gwilt out for Geary and Allen out for Birss...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
rexy
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:IMO we can afford to keep MG and Schneider out for another couple of weeks...
So for me the only 2 up for selection are Birss and Geary...
If i were in charge it would be Gwilt out for Geary and Allen out for Birss...
I think that makes the side to short personally.

Maybe this year?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I would not like to see Armitage dropped, this week is an excellent chance for him to measure himself against the likes of Hodge and Mitchell, two onballers he could learn a lot from for his style of play.

Rioli worries me so unless Gwilt can match him I think Geary should be brought in. I'm expecting Gilbert to get Williams and hopefully exploit him with some run as well as cutting across to give Max a chop out on Buddy or Blake a hand with Roughead.

MG could do with some more match time at Casey, get some ks in the legs. Allen should be given another week to taste what it's like against a top 4 team. He's a bit like Greg Chappell in that he's doing everything right except getting the pill and kicking some goals, this weeks experience and intensity will be invaluable to his development. Unless of course we go small with Schneider and alternate Sam Fisher or BJ through the middle from the forward half.

elphie
Club Player

option 1 -go small with SCHNEIDS 4 ALLEN will help stop Hawks famous run out of backline, as ALLEN is slow. But SCHNEIDS must be enforced to exert more tackling pressure.
option 2 - go tall and leave ALLEN in will allow long-kicking GRAM & MONTAGNA & GODDARD to play on at all opportunity and kick long. Our forward crumbing, esp. MILNE & JONES, were red-hot last week and we would want to encourage that kind of CATS game-style for maximum scoreboard pressure.

i don't know which option that's why i'm a SAINTS fan at home with laptop.
but noice to have some depth and these options! i'm confident to leave it to the selection panel, aren't you?
so just wait for Thursday teams!

To the top
SS Life Member

M. Gardiner should be an automatic "IN".

Koschitzke is starting to play to the ability we all know he has, because after so many disruptions he is finally getting strength into his legs, but - a ruckman he is not.

His benefit is his ability to pack mark, plus he has awesome below knee abilities for a 197cm player.

But, as we saw v. Carlton, when rucking, he has to jump and reach over bigger bodies to get a hand to the ball - leading to Judd in particular putting himself in the only place Koschitzke could tap the ball to.

When King came back on half way thru the last quarter, and we were under the pump, he put his big body under the ball and was able to direct his palming work to our advantage.

There is the difference.

Gardiner also has the true ruckman abilities of King - and to keep the pressure on by directing the ball from ball ups instead of just getting a hand on it, we need both rotating - and even both on the ground from time to time looking for a mis-match.

In regards Gardiner, he played very well against Sydney (and in games prior to that, improving each week to be in good form), was shifted forward at the start of the 3rd quarter, took a grab, kicked the goal and was then injured - at a cost to the side which was starting a fight back.

Both of these guys also use their big bodies in the crushes, creating space.

And again, Koschitzke is just too good a player to thrash him at ruck contests where he lacks a few inches and lacks a few kg's. And he is just too good and too valuable to have him play at full forward.

Who to leave out?

Well, from a winning side someone is going to be stiff.

Mid-field depth and match-ups will dictate.

I like the idea of Allen because he gives the opportunity for Riewoldt and Koschitzke to get around the ground as they see fit. If Hawthorn bomb long looking for their height, well Koschitzke can drop back to either mark or destroy - as he did last week, remember the destroying defensive punch at the Member's end? - then go forward to create may-hem.

The players chosen will have the opportunity to say "catch me if you can" if St Kilda win the game, because winning form is good form.

But, conversely, a loss will open opportunities to those continuing to show good form at Casey - and those like X. Clarke returning.

This is a crunch game, not only for the Club but particularly for the players taking the field.

This is the chance to say "We are playing finals, and I am in the team".

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:

But, as we saw v. Carlton, when rucking, he has to jump and reach over bigger bodies to get a hand to the ball - leading to Judd in particular putting himself in the only place Koschitzke could tap the ball to.

When King came back on half way thru the last quarter, and we were under the pump, he put his big body under the ball and was able to direct his palming work to our advantage.

There is the difference.

The above is worth highlighting.

I have read numerous posts this week about how great Kosi was in the ruck...which puzzled me as what I saw was that he good around the ground....but that his actual ruckwork against very poor opponents was only so so.

Whereas King's ruckwork in the same game was well...ruckwork.

The Hawks will most likey have Campbell and Taylor...and with King and Gardi to combat we can gaina vital initial edge.

If Gardi is match fit...bring him in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....