more good news

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

4ever_saint
Club Player

more good news

heard on sen this morning that apparently a number of the west coast eagles players have come down with gastro. this is not a joke- john worsfold said they have isolated the player it has originated from. cant remember which player they said was worst effected.

did anyone else hear this or have i somehow managed to make this up?

if it is true, this is surely good news for us this week :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Stenglein is the smitten one I do believe....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
El Wood
Club Player

Also from the Herald-Sun this morning:

WEST COAST captain Darren Glass has been sent for scans to determine whether he has strained a quad muscle.

Assistant coach Peter Sumich said Glass could miss up to two matches.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

El Wood wrote:Also from the Herald-Sun this morning:

WEST COAST captain Darren Glass has been sent for scans to determine whether he has strained a quad muscle.

The Boards had this as mainly precautionary with the injury most likely being a corky. But time will tell.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

El Wood wrote:Also from the Herald-Sun this morning:

Hey El Wood,
Was that you on Hungry for Sport this morning with KB and Denham?

ThePunter
Club Player

Considering the Eagles' priorities at the moment, expect them to err on the side of caution with regards to injury and illness.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Well i'd still rather play them at full strength.....

But.....in sport when you have your opponent on the ropes, you beat the living daylights out of them till they can take no more.

Right now, even before the game, the Eagles are on the ropes.

I just hope the boys don't think it's gonna be an easy win.

100+.....percentage booster.

GrumpyOne

ThePunter wrote:Considering the Eagles' priorities at the moment, expect them to err on the side of caution with regards to injury and illness.
Is that a Tank I see coming towards us? :wink:

sainter2631
Club Player

Yeah, heard that as well. They mentioned that quite a few players were infected but Stenglein was the main one. The way it was said it seemed that most of the playing group had been effected by the virus (much in the same way that collingwood came down with gastro in the first nab cup game this year).

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:Well i'd still rather play them at full strength.....

But.....in sport when you have your opponent on the ropes, you beat the living daylights out of them till they can take no more.

Right now, even before the game, the Eagles are on the ropes.

I just hope the boys don't think it's gonna be an easy win.

100+.....percentage booster.
I'd rather the 4 points regardless

didn't see anyone stepping off the pedal against us when we were on the ropes over the years.

if we made the GF and the opposition had 5 or 6 players injured or sick, so sad too bad.

no one but a few saints remember the hit from ablett in 91 that saw burke and grant shelved. the score shows that they won and not us.

no one remembers or cares the mechanics of teh off field situations, or the mechanical breakdown of the coachs phone, or anything in the 97 GF, adelaide won, and thats the scoreboard.

I don't care if WCE have to elevate 9 rookies and play 15 men, 4 points is 4 points.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Club Player

as long as we don't catch it

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Dan

I was at that final where Gary Ablett hit Nathan Burke, from behind and behind play, on the wing as I recall. Terrible dirty act. I was really amazed at the time... Danny Frawley was on Ablett, and he was really thrashing Ablett that day... but in the moment it happened, I was incensed and hoped Frawley would fly the flag and rough up Ablett.... didn't happen, though. Frawley kept his mind on the game, and on the ball. Ablett couldn't win the ball, so he tried thuggery.

The loss of Burke cost us the match.

Very dirty player, was Ablett.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:Dan

I was at that final where Gary Ablett hit Nathan Burke, from behind and behind play, on the wing as I recall. Terrible dirty act. I was really amazed at the time... Danny Frawley was on Ablett, and he was really thrashing Ablett that day... but in the moment it happened, I was incensed and hoped Frawley would fly the flag and rough up Ablett.... didn't happen, though. Frawley kept his mind on the game, and on the ball. Ablett couldn't win the ball, so he tried thuggery.

I was there also, sitting opposite the emptish hawthorn members area, heading towards wing away from teh old goal Big V screen..

we were 13 or 14 points up at half time, and plugger was having a day out, (9.6 he scored?) with billy brownless playing the game of his career.

of course the passage through half forward was cleared by felling burke and David Grant.

when folks talk about the early 90s, folks mention plugger, loewe, spud and winmar.

david Grant was such a domiinant player in the air at the time. Couragious too, for younger saints fans, david Grant was as good as in the air than any other player in the club including winmar, except loewe and plugger.and was famous for pulling forwards 10 kgs heaver and 3 inches taller.

back then Russell Morris was the dashing CHB,, spud the rock in the defence, and football was, lets be honest, harder physcially then.

Grant would stand his ground and get pollaxed by mass units running through him.

91 we were edged out of the finals because of two dog acts, and as good as gablett was, he was flogged that day.

anyway, its done, we lost and while we reminisce about what might have been, it wasn't and the scoreboard stands.

that is the attitude we should take to the WCE. if they field 22, thats the team the saints have to beat.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

that game still burns me up.....we finished third...lost one game to filthy cat tactics and a drug taking....yes even in those days....child killer......... and were out of the finals...if we had won that day we would have gone on to win the premiership......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

...and Mooney will try it when we get our shot this year, what's the bet!?!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

If memory serves me correctly, Ablett also took David Grant out of the game illegally leaving us with virtually no bench from about 1/2 way through the 2nd Q !!

older saint
SS Life Member

The thing which killed us in 91 was the AFL and the ridiculous final 6 system. 3 v 4 and 5 v 6 . 5 v 6 was Ess v Mebourne both about 3-4 wins behind Geelong and StkIlda.
The year after they changed it to the fairer 3v6 and 4 v 5 where we beat Collingwood.

The other things in 91 - Plugger poor kicking in the 1st quarter, Vidovic hitting Bourke ( i think) in last 1/4 we had ball and were only 5 points down. reversed decision and geelong scored. Harding on Brownless - he had never played full back before.

92 - Frawley achilies tearing in he last quarter killed us as we had no one for Chris Grant the next week who slaughtered David Grant.

93- Flying then one N Winmar got greedy wanting more funds , apparently put aside for T Watson ( ess beat us too punch) and that destroyed the Chemistry of the group and the confidence of the coach. Then the spiral started

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Was one of the great games. Ablett did the dog act,but that was finals football in those days, it would of been nice if we had someone to do that.

Unsure if we would of won the flag,it was such a massive thing for us to make the finals, against everything we knew. It was a great side,but we just weren't ready for it. The form Lockett was in that day,season, era,no one should of ever beaten us.

Getting back to this weeks game...hope they all fall over...never confident going interstate, we've taken a lot of injuries out of subiaco games over the years,and we have 2 to come there in coming weeks which is a concern. We need to just keep giving our all and not get ahead of ourselves,and a bit of luck for this footy club wouldn't go astray either. If end up finishing 5th it would be a magnificent effort and fightback to where and what we were 4-5 weeks ago

Bring back the Lockett era
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: more good news

4ever_saint wrote:heard on sen this morning that apparently a number of the west coast eagles players have come down with gastro. this is not a joke- john worsfold said they have isolated the player it has originated from. cant remember which player they said was worst effected.

did anyone else hear this or have i somehow managed to make this up?

if it is true, this is surely good news for us this week :lol:
Lucky for them that they won't be wearing WHITE shorts this week :roll: :wink: !!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:Considering the Eagles' priorities at the moment, expect them to err on the side of caution with regards to injury and illness.
I think the Wegales main priority at present is:

1/ Beating Freo the week after they play us

2/ tanking...after the Freo game just watch the number of players put in for surgery /preparation for next year rise.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

As long as they keep Cox in! He's captain of my Supercoach team & racking up HUGE points for me!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:As long as they keep Cox in! He's captain of my Supercoach team & racking up HUGE points for me!
Bugga that.. :wink:

If there was one player that would be nice to be out apart from Kerr it is Cox

bethb7
Club Player

Good news for us yeah but don't celebrate or laugh when I ever seem to do that we always get an injury to a good player :(

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
Schillaci
Club Player

I was there too.

Left the ground feeling very low. We were a great chance for the flag that year and to go down narrowly and in that fashion left a very bitter taste. As already mentioned the finals system didn't do us any favours either.