Weaknesses Addressed?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

Weaknesses Addressed?

I love the Sainters. I cry at a win and bleed at a loss. The boys may disappoint from time to time but I'll never be one to bag them and call for scalps. I trust that Ross will put together the best team possible as Grant attempted before him. :)

We haven't been on song but I think the Hawks game announced some serious efforts to overcome weaknesses that have been identified this year. :D

1. Forward pressure - Clinton Jones' tackle inspires and identifies a renewed effort to put pressure on. Jones ran from the forward side of the HFF square to the 50 defence line to lay a tackle. Phenomenal! Reiwoldt was still chasing like a man possessed in the last quarter as the hawks tried to run from defence. Armo laid a defender flat to earn a shot at goal! 8-) :twisted:
2. Fiora too soft - I saw him backing into packs, attempting tackles. Yes there are weaknesses but as Dim Lane pointed out, when he has room to move, his long raking left footers are accurate and hurt the opposition n end. 8-)
3. Dal not hard enough at it - The third quarter showed the class, efficiency, precision and gut-running of Dal. That goal was a beauty! He had control of the quarter and yet spent time on the bench during it! :D
4. King not taking contested marks - What a beauty in the final quarter. Not only set himself well and marked strongly, he nearly had his head knocked off in the process. :lol:
5. Reiwoldt has the yips - 6.0 ( I reckon I saw quite a fist on Nick's stray one so fair enough it was rushed) was quite an answer. Dim Lane called early that one of his early goals was a captain's goal. Nick set the tone for the forward line accuracy as well as all over intensity. At one stage we were 13.3! Fantastic compared to the many soft misses we have scored this year at crucial times. 8-)
6. Milne is a one trick pony - Great use of Milney in the third saw him smashing the ball forward from the midfield. Milney got the handle on the ball and did great work. Great experience to help Armo out on the angle and great sharing of the ball in the final quarter to set up others. :D

The trick is to get everything clicking at once. Confidence builds performance which strengthens confidence and on we go. I think we have seen a number of our perceived weaknesses turned around during the year but at different times. Last we I think we saw plenty of elements all click at the same time. Footy is not just a game of strengths, it is covering the opposition strengths and our own weaknesses!

I thought we played well all game but things weren't quite falling into place. That second half our intensity lifted and bang! Everything clicked into gear at once.

The question is can we maintain the effort and intensity that is needed to turn our weaknesses into strengths and build the belief, power and passion to recreate the sencond half consistently?

I don't have the answer to that. Only 22 boys out on the padock can answer that, not Grant as commentator or even Ross as coach. All I can say is that the Saints are loaded and in the gun. They have shown they can fire but it takes 100% commitment from all, at all times.

I for one am looking forward to how this and all remaining games unfold.

:D Go the Sainters! :D

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

good post.......and good coaching too...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
aussiejones
Club Player

Question is ..are they listening and hearing the coach..
Or Has the coach realized and modified his instructions.

A bit of both .

Last week showed what happens when they 'Click'.....
and have few injuries....

Goals win games ....restricting opp doesnt (usually)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote: Question is ..are they listening and hearing the coach..
Or Has the coach realized and modified his instructions.

A bit of both .

Yes I am sure that the coach has evolved some things...and tewaked others....however when the Saints were playing badlu both coaches and players said that their play should have been more attacking when they had the ball.

So I think it is mainly that the playerrs confidence has lifted TOGETHER with the whole team being fulling committed to the gameplan.

That is it is pretty hard for one player to be attacking if his teams mates do not have the confidence and committment to run and support or find space to be passed to.
aussiejones wrote:
Last week showed what happens when they 'Click'.....
Yes indeed.
aussiejones wrote: and have few injuries.... .
I think we had more out than the Hawks though:

Goose
X
Gardi still get fit via Casey
Baker
aussiejones wrote: Goals win games ....restricting opp doesnt (usually)
Our game plan has two parts.

Personally the way we play when the opposition has the ball has been pretty good for a while..
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 25 Jul 2008 3:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Personally the way we play when the opposition has the ball has been pretty good for a while..
But it has severely impaired our style when do get the ball.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Looked ok against the Hawks.....

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Looked ok against the Hawks.....
Looked very good.

Wouldn't have though if we played the same way we did prior to Q time against North.

Thankfully Lyon changed his strategy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Looked very good.

Wouldn't have though if we played the same way we did prior to Q time against North.

In your opinion.

In mine...the strategy has not changed...just the players delivery of it.

That first quarter was error riddled.

Yes having Roo knocked over by a ball is never a good look...nor Bally kicking in space to a NM player to set up an easy goal..

Against the Hawks Ball has said the half time message was to improve their tackling and contested ball....nothing on changing the gameplan.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Looked very good.

In your opinion.

In mine...the strategy has not changed...just the players delivery of it.

That first quarter was error riddled.

Yes having Roo knocked over by a ball is never a good look...nor Bally kicking in space to a NM player to set up an easy goal..

Against the Hawks Ball has said the half time message was to improve their tackling and contested ball....nothing on changing the gameplan.
No, Lyon said he's changed things. It's not my opinion (although it's quite obvious he's telling the truth), it's what Lyon said publicly.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Our style of play was the same all day against Hawthorn. We just played better in the second half - plus they were coming off a 6 day break and were potentially already thinking about Geelong.

However, after the Freo game things changed. Lyon said this publicly.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: However, after the Freo game things changed. Lyon said this publicly.
Can you state what he said exactly...or point me to the article.
Thank you.

Otherwise I stick to our gameplan (with and without the ball) not having changed.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It would sound like to me that Lyon has been foccussing on:

* team structure
* consistency/4 quarter efforts
* contested ball
* tackling

......and not on changing the gameplan.

June 15

Lyon suggested the group was lacking enthusiasm and energy. He said that one of the ways to overcome that problem was by bringing in younger players that were currently impressing in the reserves.
While admitting he would begin playing a few more inexperienced players, Lyon said he had not given up on the finals, with his side still ninth on 20 points.
Lyon explained that one of the current problems with the Saints was that the team was “predictableâ€

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Just finished watching the Cats v Hawks....

Both teams looked a lot like the Saints of late.....and little sign of the long bombing that many say the saints should adopt.

Indeed looking at that game and the two teams involved...you can see why Lyon is so hot on winning the contested ball and tackling....and playing well consitently.

Do those well and I reckon that we could have the measure of those two teams.