Want to know why our games and quarters are so up and down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Want to know why our games and quarters are so up and down

This is an extract from an article on Goddard. (the article in another thread is a good one on BJ on weight losses. injuries etc and so I did not want to take that thread off topic..and so have started this one on a specific point that caoght my eye).

Tired of what he felt was the overly offensive style of some of his senior players, Lyon made a statement by axing Nick Dal Santo and Stephen Milne.

It was a reality check for many Saints, but the right move according to Goddard.

"Ross definitely had to make a stance somewhere," Goddard said.

"Those blokes weren't buying into the team rules and playing their part in the team.
"They have copped it on the chin and responded really well.

"It hit home, definitely; not spurred everyone on, but it was a real reality check to where everyone was.

"Not enough blokes were buying in. We eventually stripped it back and went back to the basics . . . head down and contested footy, tackling, forward-50 pressure, areas that we focused on.

"Everything evolves from that."

Not enough blokes were buying in....Geeze, that says it all does it not.

What hope do we have to see good TEAM performances when individual's are out there doing what they want?

What BJ has basically outlined is that players were doing what they wanted rather than playing team football.

How can you possibly deliver as a team when some parts of that team are playing to their own set of rules?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Might explain too why BJ looked a touched agitated against WC when he kept looking up to see WC midfielders running in space bouncing the ball under no pressure running towards him and the other defenders???????????

markp
Saintsational Legend

If that's the case we're in trouble..... the rock stars need to pull their heads in for good, or go.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lets all hope the the WC game was the last MESSAGE they needed that they need to play as a team.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Have said it before and will say it again...

RL, has a philosophy which he believes can win a flag. When we play accordingly, we look good.

if some refuse to "buy in" let them go to another club.

Also explains why Blake and Cj will get a game.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Want to know why our games and quarters are so up and do

saintsRrising wrote:This is an extract from an article on Goddard. (the article in another thread is a good one on BJ on weight losses. injuries etc and so I did not want to take that thread off topic..and so have started this one on a specific point that caoght my eye).

Tired of what he felt was the overly offensive style of some of his senior players, Lyon made a statement by axing Nick Dal Santo and Stephen Milne.

It was a reality check for many Saints, but the right move according to Goddard.

"Those blokes weren't buying into the team rules and playing their part in the team.

"It hit home, definitely; not spurred everyone on, but it was a real reality check to where everyone was.

"Not enough blokes were buying in. We eventually stripped it back and went back to the basics . . . head down and contested footy, tackling, forward-50 pressure, areas that we focused on.

What hope do we have to see good TEAM performances when individual's are out there doing what they want?

What BJ has basically outlined is that players were doing what they wanted rather than playing team football.

How can you possibly deliver as a team when some parts of that team are playing to their own set of rules?
So we changed our game plan?

We stripped it back to basics, and started winning?

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:This is an extract from an article on Goddard. (the article in another thread is a good one on BJ on weight losses. injuries etc and so I did not want to take that thread off topic..and so have started this one on a specific point that caoght my eye).

Sounds more like the coach broke it down to its most basic form to get it through a few thicker skulls.... and then we started winning.

What game plan has a chance if some players refuse to follow it?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:

Sounds more like the coach broke it down to its most basic form to get it through a few thicker skulls.... and then we started winning.

What game plan has a chance if some players refuse to follow it?[/quote]

Very few.

Why aren't they following it though?
How long will it take for them to follow it?
Why did they only begin to follow it when it was changed?
Did they follow it last week?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

before it gets into the old "game plan... ex coaches" debate

the best thing that came out of it was the leadership and commitment BJ shows. I think he is one of the few that bleed for this club. He does jobs that are not suited to him and is willing to play a defensive team game then pick up 30 cheap possies...

those I would include in that are

maxy
BJ
Lenny
Blake

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Why aren't they following it though?
How long will it take for them to follow it?
Why did they only begin to follow it when it was changed?
Did they follow it last week?
Maybe they don't feel like it
Maybe whenever they feel like it
Maybe they felt like it (no one said it was 'changed')
Perhaps not

I thought when Max had his melt down at Goose that there was serious built up tension there.... maybe its like a team of rowers, if one stops rowing it all goes pear shaped.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
the best thing that came out of it was the leadership and commitment BJ shows.
Giving away frees and 50s is not good leadership.

It's pathetic, undisciplined and becoming a habit.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Solar wrote:

did you actually watch the vision, most of what he said happened after the umpire called the 50....

seriously some umpires need to harden the f*** up, they can stop calling players by name and pretending they are bigger then the game.

Nah from now on players need to say "yes sir, you are correct, thankyou for even noticing me" when addressing an umpire. I am all for stamping down on actual abuse directed at an umpire but seriously this has gone beyond a joke.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Solar wrote:

BJ is pathetic and undisciplined?

Cloke got a 50 for pointing at the umpire on the weekend.... now that is pathetic.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I would much rather have the "pathetic" BJ....and "pathetic" Max who both give a stuff about beating their opponent and being annoyed when they are beaten.....that some of our players who are content to not go near their opponent and seem not phased at all to have them running in space under no pressure setting up easy goals.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:before it gets into the old "game plan... ex coaches" debate

the best thing that came out of it was the leadership and commitment BJ shows. I think he is one of the few that bleed for this club. He does jobs that are not suited to him and is willing to play a defensive team game then pick up 30 cheap possies...
those I would include in that are

maxy
BJ
Lenny
Blake
Exactly....

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I would much rather have the "pathetic" BJ....and "pathetic" Max who both give a stuff about beating their opponent and being annoyed when they are beaten....
Why would you call them pathetic? Particularly for Max, that's quite disgusting.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

No...RL just broke it down.

PS..in another thread today you are arguing that the game has not changed...so another split personality day I see.

You are also having a go about someone changing what they post over 5 weeks...whereas again you are doing it on the one day.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

We have a top 4 list, and they are not being coached well.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:I would much rather have the "pathetic" BJ....and "pathetic" Max who both give a stuff about beating their opponent and being annoyed when they are beaten....
Why would you call them pathetic? Particularly for Max, that's quite disgusting.
Well as you are onto fishing, do you normally catch flathead or trout?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
blind mullets are his forte.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:We have a top 4 list, and they are not being coached well.
But what makes a top 4 list? Potential? Yes we are a potential top 4 list ...BUT

Yes I think Lyon has still to come to grips with the workrate and committment of many in the playing group.

At the START of last season I posted that these factors above all else (as I believed our injury rate would reduce) would be Lyon's biggest challene, just as they had been a big challenge for GT the couple of year prior.

The St Kilda team remain flat track bullies who can looking stuning when all is on song, but all too often too many of them go missing in action, whether it be for a quarter or a game.

Some like Dal can awesome one week as he did against the Hawks, but then the next he lets a player like Staker who had never played midfield before run rampant.

many judge the St Kilda team based on individual players "best" gamnes , rather than there average games.

Based upon our "average" delivered ability we are nota top 4 team this year.

Based upon our "best" we are.

The Saints have very few players who have a narrow gap between their best and worse games and their best.

Now GT did not get on top of this variance and so far Lyon has not either.

Unfortunately our steady acchievers are all the pre-GT players in the main..Max, Banger, Lenny.

Roo of the next band is one of the few steady contributors along with BJ.

The others are in the main up and down and all over the place.

Apologies to CJ who this year has also joined the group of steady achievers.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

No...RL just broke it down.

PS..in another thread today you are arguing that the game has not changed...so another split personality day I see.

You are also having a go about someone changing what they post over 5 weeks...whereas again you are doing it on the one day.
Sorry, I must have missed something.

What have I changed my mind on today?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Well if you're going to call players pathetic, you shouldn't be surprised if someone calls you on it.

Particularly players such as Max Hudghton.

Get fair dinkum.

markp
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:We have a top 4 list, and they are not being coached well.
But what makes a top 4 list? Potential? Yes we are a potential top 4 list ...BUT

Yes I think Lyon has still to come to grips with the workrate and committment of many in the playing group.

At the START of last season I posted that these factors above all else (as I believed our injury rate would reduce) would be Lyon's biggest challene, just as they had been a big challenge for GT the couple of year prior.

The St Kilda team remain flat track bullies who can looking stuning when all is on song, but all too often too many of them go missing in action, whether it be for a quarter or a game.

Some like Dal can awesome one week as he did against the Hawks, but then the next he lets a player like Staker who had never played midfield before run rampant.

many judge the St Kilda team based on individual players "best" gamnes , rather than there average games.

Based upon our "average" delivered ability we are nota top 4 team this year.

Based upon our "best" we are.

The Saints have very few players who have a narrow gap between their best and worse games and their best.

Now GT did not get on top of this variance and so far Lyon has not either.

Unfortunately our steady acchievers are all the pre-GT players in the main..Max, Banger, Lenny.

Roo of the next band is one of the few steady contributors along with BJ.

The others are in the main up and down and all over the place.

Apologies to CJ who this year has also joined the group of steady achievers.
I think he was being sarcastic..... the top 4 list comment is about as meaningless a comment as you can make.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Well if you're going to call players pathetic, you shouldn't be surprised if someone calls you on it.

Particularly players such as Max Hudghton.

Get fair dinkum.

:|