Passionless Saints Supporters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Passionless Saints Supporters

On Sat we went to the Sponsors Luncheon. Our seats were centre of the ground, 2nd level. Only saw 2 PA supporters in the area, yet you could have heard a pin drop. What the hell is wrong with people? Even when Harves went down, nothing................ I was telling them all off, Melbourne supporters truely don't know how lucky they area. During the game you could hear the PA supporters alot more than you could hear ours. Pathetic effort :evil:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
spert
Saintsational Legend

Yeah -what's the go Sainters..never heard such a quiet bunch as this year..YELL OUT LOUD..start this week against the pisspots from Vic Park -BE HEARD

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Agree you can hardly even hear saints supporters on the tv anymore,lost the angry roar. Most of them don't even get out of there seats for great goals,just sit and clap.

Never fear however, I'm back this week so the noise should go up by about 500 decibals :twisted:

Bring back the Lockett era
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Passionless Saints Supporters

Saint Bev wrote:On Sat we went to the Sponsors Luncheon. Our seats were centre of the ground, 2nd level. Only saw 2 PA supporters in the area, yet you could have heard a pin drop. What the hell is wrong with people? Even when Harves went down, nothing................ I was telling them all off, Melbourne supporters truely don't know how lucky they area. During the game you could hear the PA supporters alot more than you could hear ours. Pathetic effort :evil:
Hi Bev. Since I have come back to Melbourne, I have not missed a game down here and I lose my voice every week. My voice is still struggling this week. I know what you mean, Bev. I have some fair weather Saints mates who won't go on Saturday because it is too cold at the G. What do you think of that?

Pilgram
Club Player

on the contrary, i felt that there was a good level of vocal support v. port.

the trick is identifying what is "good noise" for their team from opposition supporters and what is merely "ignorant vocalisation" from them.

i have found that a lot of the time, and in particular this season, opposition teams have shown sheer ignorance at the dome and that it has cost them a competitive position within the mind's of the umpires.

a crowd of fifty-thousand people yelping for a free when clearly one does not exist only eats away at an umpire.

umpires do not fear fans and nor should they.

the umpiring was deplorable v. port.

questioning the vocal support in the game v. port is just an incorrect assessment.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I dunno, Harvs coming back on provided a damn big roar which sounded huge on TV. First game in Melbourne I have to miss in 5 years and I miss that moment! grr. :twisted:

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Agreed.

I hate the lack of atmosphere in our games. Some games, it feels like i'm the only person in my bay that's really actively using my voice and supporting the team.

In some instances, our voices can be heard, such as the Hawthorn game, and at other times, it goes missing...

The Saints are coming!
Huzzad
Club Player

It is like that in Sydney, but the other way around. The few Saints fans of us there made more noise and jeers than the swans fans. They all cheer when there is a holding the ball or a goal, but other than that they have nothing. Us saints fans were abusing the crap out of their players and when we screwed up the swans fans just sat quiet. I was surprised no one had a go back at us, but they have no drive until the final siren. After seeing a few games in Melbourne, I can poudly say at least our fans aren't as bad as Swans supporters.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

This topic has been raise repeatedly on here that frequently over the past couple of years that I think it is an issue somebody should take up with the club or cheer squad or some other interest group. Every game I come down for is disapointing from this point of view dating back to our loss to the swans in the 05 prelim. Our supporters only find voice if we are cruising or Robert Harvey returns from the dead.

There have been a lot of great suggestions each time this issue is raised on SS and it would be fantastic if somebody could run with some progressive idea that could create some noise at our games. Something that we become well known for with regards to our support culture.

Raven
Club Player

This week in particular, everyone was probably still in shock about the West Coast game. 8-)

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Guys, I think part of it is the way we are playing the majority of this year. Heres a tip, it BORES people.

Huzzad
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:Guys, I think part of it is the way we are playing the majority of this year. Heres a tip, it BORES people.
Well, we have only won one gf and have not been in a GF since 97. If people are supporting us becuase they wanna see fast football, pick another club. If you are gunna follow the saints, then follow them. Don't take approach it half-hearted.

Pilgram
Club Player

Huzzad wrote:It is like that in Sydney, but the other way around. The few Saints fans of us there made more noise and jeers than the swans fans. They all cheer when there is a holding the ball or a goal, but other than that they have nothing. Us saints fans were abusing the crap out of their players and when we screwed up the swans fans just sat quiet. I was surprised no one had a go back at us, but they have no drive until the final siren. After seeing a few games in Melbourne, I can poudly say at least our fans aren't as bad as Swans supporters.
i take sole responsibility for that game.
no-one in sydney was going to touch me and i let it all go that night!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Your preaching to the converted man, IM there every week. Last weeks game was the first one in Melbourne I have missed in 5 years. BUT..

Many WILL have dropped off half way through this year with the disgraceful tripe we were serving up . Since then it has been a little better, in PATCHES only. To the fair weather supporter, thats it for them they are out of there. For some others still attending, and I said some, that style of play dosent inspre much voice. You can argue that all you want, but that is plain fact.

Huzzad
Club Player

Pilgram wrote:
Huzzad wrote:It is like that in Sydney, but the other way around. The few Saints fans of us there made more noise and jeers than the swans fans. They all cheer when there is a holding the ball or a goal, but other than that they have nothing. Us saints fans were abusing the crap out of their players and when we screwed up the swans fans just sat quiet. I was surprised no one had a go back at us, but they have no drive until the final siren. After seeing a few games in Melbourne, I can poudly say at least our fans aren't as bad as Swans supporters.
i take sole responsibility for that game.
no-one in sydney was going to touch me and i let it all go that night!
Where were you sitting?

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

well in all fairness after one of the 50 metre penalties at the cheer squad end there was a lot of finger pointing, screaming and booing.... oh and when Harvey went on we all went nuts!

Huzzad
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:Your preaching to the converted man, IM there every week. Last weeks game was the first one in Melbourne I have missed in 5 years. BUT..

Many WILL have dropped off half way through this year with the disgraceful tripe we were serving up . Since then it has been a little better, in PATCHES only. To the fair weather supporter, thats it for them they are out of there. For some others still attending, and I said some, that style of play dosent inspre much voice. You can argue that all you want, but that is plain fact.
Don't worry, wasn't directing it at you, just the passionatless Saints. Sure, I get really shitty when we are playing badly (especially this year when we have a decent list, litte injuries and decent draw), I just get sick of the excuses and watching a great team play like s***. But I still support my boys.

backit
Club Player

I would say if you were sitting there on saturday you were at the wrong game, I am sure it was sunday we played. :)

Solar
Saintsational Legend

hard to make postive noise when your in shock at the audacity of the umpiring...

22 k there didn't help..

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Stood up in L3, Lockett end and yelled out. People looked at me like I was a lepper.

No doubt, we have gone soft as supporters. Don't care if it's boring or not. It's our team and we should be a factor.

It shouldn't take the return of Harvey to get people fired up FFS.

We should be making noise from the 1st bounce!

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

One more thing...

We were up on Level 3 Aisle 25, and seriously, you could here th Port players calling out to each other.

Can't remember the last time that happenned.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Stood up in L3, Lockett end and yelled out. People looked at me like I was a lepper.

No doubt, we have gone soft as supporters. Don't care if it's boring or not. It's our team and we should be a factor.

It shouldn't take the return of Harvey to get people fired up FFS.

We should be making noise from the 1st bounce!
I got told to quieten down in the social club area by 2 old ladies so I told them to piss off to the libary.....

The dome seems to attract these types of suppoters....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintly_safes
Club Player

Can feel where your coming from Bev, (being a WA sainter) but I can also sympathize with the crowd on Sunday. In a game that was"supposed" to be a walk in the park, left the crowd a little stunned & I for one would rather them be subdued than abusive to our own which tends to happen when things dont go to plan

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Don't know what game you guys were at , but I have not heard a roar like when Harves came back on since the final siren on the 24th of September 1966.

Mind you there was not much reason to make much noise during most of Sunday's game. Not even the final siren.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
lefty
Club Player

Re: Passionless Saints Supporters

Saint Bev wrote:On Sat we went to the Sponsors Luncheon. Our seats were centre of the ground, 2nd level. Only saw 2 PA supporters in the area, yet you could have heard a pin drop. What the hell is wrong with people? Even when Harves went down, nothing................ I was telling them all off, Melbourne supporters truely don't know how lucky they area. During the game you could hear the PA supporters alot more than you could hear ours. Pathetic effort :evil:
If we actually played proper football that was good to watch maybe I would go alot more and actually get excited.

But just beating port by chance, and with our boring style of flood back type play, how can you get excited or cheer about it?

For examply, in 04-06 I would have gone to at least 75% of games, last year proberly 50%, this year I would say maybe 3 max. I dont like how Ross has the team playing, and to be honest, if im not going to enjoy going/watching then I wont need to by a membership next year.