Robert Harvey Retirement Tribute

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

happy feet
Club Player

Robert Harvey Retirement Tribute

In other sports overseas, when a great of the game retires, they also retire the jumper number. Is it feasible, or a good idea, or a fitting tribute that the St Kilda Football Club retire jumper # 35?

yank_down_under

I honestly hope they do retire the number 35..there will never be another humble faithful servant of the club like him to come again..He is so highly respected and decorated..I can't see anyone else even contemplating wearing that jumper..really..Retire 35 and may his memories last forever.

Sorry ..caught up in the emotion of it all..Harves was the reason I followed the Saints when I came from America..He is pure class talent dignity and nice bloke all rolled up into one..We are so lucky at St. Kilda to have him...sob sob.

ROBERT HARVEY IMMORTAL SAINT Fortius Quo Fidelius
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

im torn part of me would love to keep the number forever Bangers where as another part makes me think the reason Bangers is giving it away is to make way for a new era of saints so letting an younger player come in and make the number his own would also be fitting i dunno im prob leaning to it being given to a younge fella as i think honestly thats what bangers would prefer

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
hotdish
Club Player

Retire it for a year, or get Harvey to hand it over to a kid he likes. Perhaps Eddy...

widereceiver
Club Player

My vote is to save it for Connor.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

retire it with no timeframe...it has to be earnt.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterX
Club Player

Maybe it can be like Richmond where the captain receives Jack Dyers number.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
Ali92
Club Player

??

FWIW...Frawley wore #2, it was handed to Tony Brown, who played for a few years but was delisted b-cos rumour has it, he could only kick on the left (had no right side) among other reasons... Loewe gave #23 to Kosi who surely deserved the number as he proved to be fantastic in his debut year, but Kozi has been plagued by injuries, poor chap...you wonder whether the young fella who stores his gear in locker #35 and wears THAT jumper would feel the pressure...wow- could you do that to a starry-eyed 17 y.o. fresh out of draft camp? Not saying it's a poisoned chalice but imagine the pressure...

Global Warming? don't you dare question this or you'll be called a heretic...remember the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages? "the earth is flat !!!"
I thought science was all about finding the truth and asking questions...why do we all have to believe what we are told ffs ????
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Frawley didn't give his jumper to brown thou.

Ali92
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:Frawley didn't give his jumper to brown thou.
... I recall Frawley being quoted that he was happy it was going to someone "with a bit of skill" the implication being that Spud saw himself as just a battler, in his usual self-effacing style...
BTW I said the jumper was "handed" to Brown. No edits in my original post 8-)
Hey i just saw my signature, I put those words in over a year ago !! hahaha ah well, not rocket science, everyone knew Judd was going back to Vic 8-)

Global Warming? don't you dare question this or you'll be called a heretic...remember the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages? "the earth is flat !!!"
I thought science was all about finding the truth and asking questions...why do we all have to believe what we are told ffs ????
esaint66
SS Life Member

SainterX wrote:Maybe it can be like Richmond where the captain receives Jack Dyers number.

I like that, i think its brilliant. IMO and many others the player who will next wear the #35 will have to earn it and who better than the captain.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

for those who wish to post thoughts

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
iceman
Club Player

how was his press conference the other day when saying after being given #35 down from #52... he waited until the club would offer him a lower number.. but that day never came! A true gentlemen.