Is King the best recycled Ruckman we've had recently?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Is King the best recycled Ruckman we've had recently?

In the last 8 or so years we've picked up the following 'recycled' ruckmen:
Monkhorst
Capuano
Knobel
Brooks
Ackland
Rix
Clarke
Gardiner
King.

Have any of them performed consistantly well enough to be termed a 'success'?

Has any of them performed better than King for us (I know it's noteven a full season from him yet)?

If you go back another decade we have had guys like Lazar, Harding and Wow who performed reasonably well for us.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

easy, noone talks about him or gives him credit for giving us at least half a chance in comparison to none

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:easy, noone talks about him or gives him credit for giving us at least half a chance in comparison to none
agreed. i have liked the way he has gone about it this season.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

King had a good patch midway through the season but I think he's slowing down a bit now. I'd like to see him rested this week and Gardiner (who could turn out to be better than King) to take the rucking duties).

In terms of actual performance of our recycled rucks then King would probably be just below Ackland (who did finish 8th in our B&F).

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

yes - easily the best recycled ruckman

although if M Gardiner could put together an uninterrupted season he may just surprise a few

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Gee having a look at that list he has got daylight behind him for the next best recycled ruckman.

I won't pump his tyres up, but suffice to say a few of my manic Geelong mates were gutted they gave him away for nothing.

Having his experience is going to be invaluable in the next 1-5 weeks.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Ex club captain, premiership player, experienced campaigner, and it shows.

Just from what I have seen on the field, he has embraced his mew club and teammates. At the end of games goes to all of the other players and really pumps them up.

I really like his attitude and as i said you can see why he was a club captain - born leader.

We got smashed in the clearances in qtr1 on Sunday. IMHO it was a mistake to start Kosi in the ruck. When King came on the team steadied and eventually started to win the clearances.

Really happy with King this year and Charlie to a lesser extent. Two good valuable players for nothing. Schnieds has also started to show something and Dempster has been probably best of the lot.

Nice selections Ross :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints94
SS Life Member

Looking at that list King would flog them all but

still very injury- prone

suss
Club Player

I really like the way he stands up for his team mates e.g. the Ball incident against the Dockers earlier in the year. And he was at it again on Saturday too after someone was pole axed near bay 40. Go KINGY! :twisted:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:I really like the way he stands up for his team mates e.g. the Ball incident against the Dockers earlier in the year. And he was at it again on Saturday too after someone was pole axed near bay 40. Go KINGY! :twisted:
Leader.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Thought the most memorable part of last week, was when we got a run on in the 4th quarter.

About 5 minutes in, after Milne (i think?) just kicking a goal, King got a

direct tap out straight to Goddard, who straight away kicked it to the

forward line...only to land in the hands of Riewoldt - 40 out straight in

front...

It followed with not only another goal, but both Goddard and King receiving the biggest pump ups i've seen in a while.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

if we have success later this year a bit would be attributed to king, it seems like he really enjoys playing with us and encouraging all and being part of it

he is always one of the first there after a goal is kicked

champ...lets hope he has a few more years like this yet!

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:King had a good patch midway through the season but I think he's slowing down a bit now. I'd like to see him rested this week and Gardiner (who could turn out to be better than King) to take the rucking duties).

In terms of actual performance of our recycled rucks then King would probably be just below Ackland (who did finish 8th in our B&F).
according to those who went to training, Gardiner is still injured. if he doesn't play this week doubt he will get back in this season.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Having a big impact and more proof as to why you can take short-term fixes in the ruck position - so long as you have a long term options waiting in the wings.

By the time King is finished with the Saints, McEvoy should be ready to go.

I guess the key with 'short-term' fixes is that they have to be able to add something to the team in that time, not just fill a hole. I don't believe in that; they need to be value-added players capable of improving the team.

King is doing exactly that. Well done to the big man.
Last edited by evertonfc on Thu 28 Aug 2008 2:21pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We have not had many ruckmen from other clubs that have gone well for us.

Vidovic is about the only earlier one that readily springs to mind..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:King had a good patch midway through the season but I think he's slowing down a bit now. I'd like to see him rested this week and Gardiner (who could turn out to be better than King) to take the rucking duties).

I think he that far in front of Ackland it is not funny.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

In 2005, Ackland was very good for us. Don't forget that.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i copped a fair bit when we picked him up (crows and power fans)
saying we had done it agian, taken an aging ruckman who is past his prime.

i was rather happy that we got him, and i looked forward to him becoming a solid part of our team.

looking back now..........i would say im very happy of his efforts, skills and leadership this season.
be nice if could play ALL the games, but hey, thats what happen as u get older.
best ruckman we have had in friggin ages.
step it up for the finals kingy!!!!

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm very impressed with him. He's also come packed with a fair whack of professionalism and determination. He gets the big thumbs up from me! Great stuff from Kingy!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Red
Club Player

His ruckwork has being reasonable but I wouldn't say his around the ground

work has being all that good. He has played his best against those teams

that have no ruckmen, but soundly beaten by the better ruckman around.

I think he has done a job, but I wouldn't want him going around again next

year.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I really like him. He has so much enthusiasm, he is a great team player, and he always gives 100%. I've been really impressed with him. Glad he plays for us.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Probably the best on the list but apart from 2 or 3 games he has been an average player. Will not figure in top 10 for B&f says about where he is at.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the thing i like about him is he genuinely wants to succeed with the team he puts in the effort like hes always been a saint ... unlike Clarke last year who treated it as a one last payday King actually seems to Want to be there and wants to give it his all .

nice bloke to talk to aswell i think we did well

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ackland was very good in 2005......

Vidovic is extremely overrated on here.....he spent over half of his 10 years at Moorabbin in the reserves......he played 90 games from 1990 to 1998....

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'd still like to see him float up and be another forward marking option (if he has been at any stage I can't remember seeing him up there??). Apparently HE CAN kick goals!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!