Keep going Max and Happy Birthday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Keep going Max and Happy Birthday

just to keep teaching the new saints how a true backman works:

heard on radio, Tv and in print that Max is 'considering' his future.

I like to say that I feel he still has something to give after one of his better years in the recent past for consistency
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 02 Sep 2008 3:03pm, edited 2 times in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Things might have changed the second Dempsters knee went. With Goose due back early 2009 and assuming Goose takes 6-12 games to get back into it Max might be good insurance.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

any talk of Max retiring is a bit premature isn't it? He's still one of the best backmen in the comp for mine. His closing speed and ability to get a fist on the ball at the last minute is still right up there with the best.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

I'm mates with Matty Robbins.....retired Bulldogs player from last year.

I asked him a few months back who he though was the best player he's played against.

He said in terms of doing the job they are supposed to do, Maxy was the best he'd played against.

Bare in mind Matty was a forward, so he played against backmen.

But a great thing to hear a former opponent say.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

commentators during the telecast talked about how Silvagni has left his mark on maxxy with how similar they now are. Huge rap for the man, defianatly has more in the tank.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I know players know when their time is up. And as much as Harvey says his time is up, his form suggests otherwise. The exact same can be said about Max! Such an inspirational player! Heart on the sleeve stuff! I can't praise his efforts enough...and I dare say neither could his legions of fans!

Bravo to you Max! Keep it up!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
steph
Club Player

st.byron wrote:any talk of Max retiring is a bit premature isn't it? He's still one of the best backmen in the comp for mine. His closing speed and ability to get a fist on the ball at the last minute is still right up there with the best.
agreed 100%. why would max retire?? he's in basically career best form, and at the moment far too important to our backline for retirement to be an option.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

yep, condsidering I/we dont know how he feels, its crazy talk.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Isn't he a builder in his spare time?

Heard that he's keen to concentrate on that sooner rather than later.

I hope he stays, just as good as any fullback out there.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

"However, the rumblings within the club suggest the 223- game veteran is seriously considering retirement'
this was also mentioend during Sundays game
and once I'd heard it three times it was the comment that made me want to say- 'Don't do it Max'- as I also read that the club are saying.

re his Building company- he and several of the other players have ' joint' ventures- including Fraser- as stated in the MX story last week.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

oh no im hoping this isnt the year he does it!! Please max another few years!! You are a champion and we need you!

Go saints in '09!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

PLAY ON MAXXIE!!!!

you are a legend!!!

Legendary
Club Player

Goose is finished.

Dempster out until late next year.

Would leave Chips, Gilbert and Blake to take opposition forwards.

Our backline would struggle.

One more year please Maxy, unless we win the flag.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Goose is finished.

Dempster out until late next year.

Would leave Chips, Gilbert and Blake to take opposition forwards.

Our backline would struggle.

One more year please Maxy, unless we win the flag.
Goose isnt finished.

Legendary
Club Player

Yeah he is. Mate of mine broke his leg and then had stress fractures, but not as badly as Goose.

He played soccer and did some athletics, and it took him 3 years before he regained the strength and speed in his leg muscles. And that was with fairly intensive rehab and training.

To be a successful defender in the AFL these days, you must have reasonable speed. The days of brute strength wrestling in the square are gone.

Goose was never the quickest player, but he was pretty sharp. However, he will be too slow and bulky to play as a defender if he ever returns to the AFL.

His only option is to trim down, do as much running as he can and train himself to play as a forward IMO.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Yeah he is. Mate of mine broke his leg and then had stress fractures, but not as badly as Goose.

He played soccer and did some athletics, and it took him 3 years before he regained the strength and speed in his leg muscles. And that was with fairly intensive rehab and training.

To be a successful defender in the AFL these days, you must have reasonable speed. The days of brute strength wrestling in the square are gone.

Goose was never the quickest player, but he was pretty sharp. However, he will be too slow and bulky to play as a defender if he ever returns to the AFL.

His only option is to trim down, do as much running as he can and train himself to play as a forward IMO.
Difference is Goose has a team of Docs who are paid big dollars concentrating alot of time on making sure he does play again.

Goose will play again.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Things might have changed the second Dempsters knee went. With Goose due back early 2009 and assuming Goose takes 6-12 games to get back into it Max might be good insurance.
insurance?
under-rated even by our own.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
matrix
Saintsational Legend

he'd have to be getting tired too....had a far share of strains and pulls over the years.

i hope he stays, people dont mentiioned his name, its always scarlett or fletcher etc etc.
i still say he is up there with them, if not better in some if not most ways.

sleeve wearing of heart and a battler our max is...

once more, at least please max...it wouldnt be the same without seeing u close down ya opponent at the last sec to get a punch on the cherry.
and it deff wouldnt be the same without u doing that spit and rave at the umpies in disbelief when they pull a shocker of a decision out the bag.
i love it when he does that 8-)

SuperSaint
Club Player

The Saintsational Man wrote:
Difference is Goose has a team of Docs who are paid big dollars concentrating alot of time on making sure he does play again.

Goose will play again.
Did the 'team of Docs' get Hamill back to anywhere near his capabilities? Truth is when the injury is that bad, no guru medico can perform miracles. Goose will give it his best shot and for his sake, given his young age, I hope he has a better outcome than what Hamill had.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Well, I'm going to differ from you guys

I do hope Max retires this season. With a premiership.

It would be a totally fitting end to a great career. I can only think of one bloke who would deserve it more

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Well, I'm going to differ from you guys

I do hope Max retires this season. With a premiership.

It would be a totally fitting end to a great career. I can only think of one bloke who would deserve it more
As much as I love the guy, I'd go for this also! Our last two remaining battlehorses from the 97 GF going out in style!

There isn't a whole heap of players on the field you know you can forget about on the day and rely on to do their job like Max can.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

He's been one of the best backs in the competition for almost ten years, and showing no signs of flagging. Will leave a huge hole in our team if he goes - Gilbert's been showing signs, but there's still no-one to match Max's ability to do a job.

And how's his closing speed? There's nothing better than watching Max's last three strides eat up the gap, and then that superhuman stretch to get one fist on the ball without any body contact. Seriously the technically best spoiler I've seen.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

SuperSaint wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:

Goose will play again.
Did the 'team of Docs' get Hamill back to anywhere near his capabilities? Truth is when the injury is that bad, no guru medico can perform miracles. Goose will give it his best shot and for his sake, given his young age, I hope he has a better outcome than what Hamill had.
Goose's problem is his foot... not his broken leg. Compensating for his 'bad' leg may have brought it on but foot stress fractures can & do come good. His injury is very similar to Hird's & he came back & played some super footy.

Goose will be back & hopefully at the start of 09.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

steph wrote:
st.byron wrote:any talk of Max retiring is a bit premature isn't it? He's still one of the best backmen in the comp for mine. His closing speed and ability to get a fist on the ball at the last minute is still right up there with the best.
agreed 100%. why would max retire?? he's in basically career best form, and at the moment far too important to our backline for retirement to be an option.
from what i rwead/heard he has many interests outside of football. max is the one thinking of retiring not the club trying to get rid of him!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
steph wrote:
from what i rwead/heard he has many interests outside of football. max is the one thinking of retiring not the club trying to get rid of him!
Max is a very active and astute businessman and developer.

$$$ wise he may well now be adept enough to make more munning by not playing than playing.

However from a fotball perspective PLEAE play on Max as our backline needs you.

Your are it's rock....and unfortunately we are already down Dempster for next year....and I think BJ may be playing as a midfielder in 2009, as will be Gram.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....