Finals Footy - anything can happen (well, almost).

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Finals Footy - anything can happen (well, almost).

The pundits who are predicting run away wins in the two qualifying finals may be right but they would be well advised to consider some other "on paper" runaway victories of the not too distant past.

Last year, Collingwood finished 6th with 13 wins and just over 100%. Clearly, the pundits said, they would have no hope against Geelong. Enter the "finals factor". In the preliminary final, Geelong won by five points - yes - less than one lucky kick. Had that kick gone the other way, the monolith that is now Geelong would probably have imploded. But it didn't and the rest is history. But it just goes to show, nothing is certain in footy - just ask Adelaide!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the beauty of our position is that we win one match and we are through to a gf play off...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Anything can happen in finals.

1999 Prelim, Essendon v Carlton. Essendon were unbackable favourites, and flag favourites, they lost by a point.

StSteven
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:Anything can happen in finals.

1999 Prelim, Essendon v Carlton. Essendon were unbackable favourites, and flag favourites, they lost by a point.

Yes but what keeps me awake is last years Qualifying final and the GF?

JeffDunne

I know it's a different sport but the New York Giants last season are the perfect example.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:I know it's a different sport but the New York Giants last season are the perfect example.
I've been giving everyone I know that example.

The pats were 18-0 and looking for that superbowl win to become, arguably, the greatest team of all-time, I think it was the '72 Dolphins they were up against for the title "The Greatest".

The confidence you saw on the Giants in the days leading up was just awesome, they shut down the pats offence and made them look second rate with a 17-14 victory.

Just remember the pats averaged around 36 points a game during the regular season, so to cut that down to 14 was an awesome effort by the Giants.

Just shows anything can happen.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The pressure is on Geelong, but not from their opponents. It's from themselves. Back to back is a tough gig by any teams standards. The closer they get, the more it'll play on them.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

we'll win 8-)

(we bloody better its cost me 800 bucks in two weeks, i need a week off to get more cash)

JeffDunne

The Saintsational Man wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:I know it's a different sport but the New York Giants last season are the perfect example.
I've been giving everyone I know that example.

The pats were 18-0 and looking for that superbowl win to become, arguably, the greatest team of all-time, I think it was the '72 Dolphins they were up against for the title "The Greatest".

The confidence you saw on the Giants in the days leading up was just awesome, they shut down the pats offence and made them look second rate with a 17-14 victory.

Just remember the pats averaged around 36 points a game during the regular season, so to cut that down to 14 was an awesome effort by the Giants.

Just shows anything can happen.
What was stunning about the Giants win was where they came from. They fell into the playoffs in part because others couldn't close the deal (bloody Saints grumble, grumble).

Then had to go into Green Bay and play in conditions not fit for humans.

And like you said, then had to beat the stream train that was the Patriots last season.

As they say in the states, it's why we play the game.

Anything can happen in a two horse race and the reality is there's never as much between teams in playoffs as the bookies would have you believe.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Finals Footy - anything can happen (well, almost).

perfectionist wrote: Last year, Collingwood finished 6th with 13 wins and just over 100%. Clearly, the pundits said, they would have no hope against Geelong. Enter the "finals factor". In the preliminary final, Geelong won by five points - yes - less than one lucky kick. Had that kick gone the other way, the monolith that is now Geelong would probably have imploded.!
interesting playing the "what if game" say the filth had beat geelong what do you think would of happend the week after?? would we have seen the filth with the flag ?? would geelong been as dominant ? would collingwood been better this year ? and would port have been as bad without the humiliation of the g/f mauling ?? ... very interesting

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Geelong v Carlton in 94 Qualifying final.

Cats had Ablett, Bairstow, Couch & someone else out & beat a Carlton side that was unbackable favorites.

Let's hope we'll be adding 08 QF to the list of great upsets come Sunday night.