Where do you think our goals are gonna come from?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Where do you think our goals are gonna come from?

Our more to the point, where are Collingwood's goals gonna come from?

When we player in round 8....

Saints 14.10 (94) Collingwood 16.7 (103)

Goal Spread Saints

2 - Dal Santo, Birss, Armitage, Milne

1 - Montagna, Harvey, Goddard, Gram, Kosi, Gehrig

Goal Spread Collingwood

3 - Didak
2 - Burns, Medhurst
1 - David, Pendlebury, Thomas, Johnson, Wellingham, O'Brien, Lockyer

It looks good doesn't it, we have Roo and they don't have Didak...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I am not that worried about goal scoaring..

I am worried about dominating the midfield. If we win the midfield we will win the game.

If we don't then we will be behind the eightball.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 10 Sep 2008 11:55am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergsone
SS Life Member

Milne and Schneider are 2 who we need goals from ,5-6 between them would go a long way towards winning.Have to have more score board pressure from more than just Roo

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Milne and Schneider are 2 who we need goals from ,5-6 between them would go a long way towards winning.Have to have more score board pressure from more than just Roo
That's what I thought last week. We didn't make it grubby enough for the Cats in our forward 50. Their defensive structure is too strong to just send stuff sailing in from the air.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i'd love it if we had the luxury of being able to play bj as a forward because another viable marking (and goalkicking) target would take enormous pressure off riewoldt.

gwilt and c. gardiner haven't offered much in the way of goals.

however, i take the point of those who say playing BJ there might weaken our on-ball division.

next season i'd be looking at possibly adding raph and sam fisher to the mids rotation to allow bj to ff to become a reality.

there is much to be said for a consistent spearhead, as franklin has shown this season for the hawks and as gehrig showed over many seasons for us.

players as talented as BJ and dal should be either on the ball or in the forward line, not picking up cheap kicks across half back.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 10 Sep 2008 2:35pm, edited 5 times in total.

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

Roo 3
Milne 3
Kozi 2
Schneids 2
Dal 1
BJ 1
Gram 1

That's 13 goals already in what I think is a pretty conservativ estimate.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I am not that worried about goal scoaring..

I am worried about dominating the midfield. If we win the midfield we will win the game.

I agree with this SrR, but also see it as a concern.

We need to be able to add 'scoreboard' pressure even when our midfield is down.

Our forward line is so disfunctional that we need our midfield well and truly on top to look anything remotely dangerous.

We need our forwards to still be able to manufacture goals if our midfield is down.

I know it's hard, and most clubs struggle when their mids are getting beaten, but we in particular look so limp up forward.

bergsone
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:i'd love it if we had the luxury of being able to play bj as a forward as another viable marking (and goalkicking) target would take enormous pressure off riewoldt.

however, i take the point of those who say playing BJ there would weaken our on-ball division too much.

players as talented as him and dal should be either on the ball or in the forward line, not picking up cheap kicks across half back.
Thats why i would consider Allen for a Gardiner or Gwilt,from memory we won when he last played just feel structure is better with 2 talls forward ,Roo playing more a forward go anywhere roll than a KPP

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i'd love it if we had the luxury of being able to play bj as a forward as another viable marking (and goalkicking) target would take enormous pressure off riewoldt.

however, i take the point of those who say playing BJ there would weaken our on-ball division too much.

players as talented as him and dal should be either on the ball or in the forward line, not picking up cheap kicks across half back.
Thats why i would consider Allen for a Gardiner or Gwilt,from memory we won when he last played just feel structure is better with 2 talls forward ,Roo playing more a forward go anywhere roll than a KPP

well he couldn't offer much less than they did last week. but you could say the same thing for much of the team.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

We need to stop the goals coming from their midfield...

Six goals from midfielders in Round 19 vs us (Swan 3, Lockyer 2, Thomas 1)

and ten on saturday vs Adelaide (Swan 2, Maxwell 2, Thomas 1, Clarke 1, Fraser 1, Shaw 1, Lockyer 1, Cox 1).

John Anthony is dangerous too. Kicked 3 on saturday and booted 3 against us in Round 19.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I am not that worried about goal scoaring..

That's exactly where it will be won. Last time I remember getting loads of clearances out of the centre. Can't let it happen this time.

saint vince
Club Player

I really love the idea of BJ being a full forward.

Great mark and awseome kick.

We have a chance of covering him in the midfield however his influence up forward would be significant

The other move I like is Milney on the ball in spurts. He runs straight at the ball and gets it. He takes risks and plays on at all times (sometimes a bad thing) and he uses it fairly well. Maybe just not fit enough but good in spurts.

IMO Milne is the one that got us going against Hawthorn when he went on the ball.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

RedWhiteBlack wrote:Roo 3
Milne 3
Kozi 2
Schneids 2
Dal 1
BJ 1
Gram 1

i reckon about the same thing... Riewoldt will come out firing
Riewoldt 5
Milne 4
Schneider 2
Jones 1
Harvey 1
Dal Santo 1
Goddard 1
Kosi 1
King 1

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:We need to stop the goals coming from their midfield...

Six goals from midfielders in Round 19 vs us (Swan 3, Lockyer 2, Thomas 1)

and ten on saturday vs Adelaide (Swan 2, Maxwell 2, Thomas 1, Clarke 1, Fraser 1, Shaw 1, Lockyer 1, Cox 1).

John Anthony is dangerous too. Kicked 3 on saturday and booted 3 against us in Round 19.
Good point, and we probably need goals from our midfield....

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the possitive is last week Roo played possibly the worst game of his life you reckon he might come out with some what of a point to prove on saturday ...... but this is finals footy this is where midfeild dominance is the be all to end all win the middle win the game ....and for christ sake lets have some on play Thomas he just loves playing against us

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:
RedWhiteBlack wrote:Roo 3
Milne 3
Kozi 2
Schneids 2
Dal 1
BJ 1
Gram 1

i reckon about the same thing... Riewoldt will come out firing
Riewoldt 5
Milne 4
Schneider 2
Jones 1
Harvey 1
Dal Santo 1
Goddard 1
Kosi 1
King 1
I was trying to be a bit more conservative in a worst case scenario, so I'd obviously prefer more output from our forwards! I tihnk a goal per quarter is a good benchmark for Roo and hopefully Milne bobs up with 3-4 as well. If our running midfielders can do what they have done for most of the season and chip in, I think we will be in good shape.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Our midfield need to start carrying the ball deeper into the forward line and kicking goals -this is one of our major problems. Too much spraying of the ball from our mids, and little penetration in their kicking. Allen needs to be brought in for Charlie.

Geezer
Club Player

roo will kick 3
kozi 3
schneid's 2
midfield will chip in with 4
(1 each dal, lenny, joey)
gram 1
milne wont kick a goal and we'll still win.
:)

Pies :
fraser 3
and all singles

doubt the pies will get to 10 goals for the game.

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig to have a day out and kick 10 - lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously - I will tell you on Saturday night - What a ridiculous thread - at the 45 second mark of the first quarter - in the pocket - Milne will snap his first of 5, .................... oh and Cloke will get none coz at the 19th minute mark of the 1st h will pull a hammy

Talk about who will fill our forward line if you want - but to quantify the amount and the goal kickers at this stage is impossible

Can guarantee you one thing - all of our goals will be kicked