Davis a danger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

Davis a danger

A match up for Leon Davis is a big concern for me. The first time we played them Gramm got him and got an absolute bath, Davis by far their best. The second time I dont recall who had him or how he played.

I cant hink of an obvious match up and half thought X might be retained to run with Davis as at least he has the speed. Gilbert had Rioli if I remember correctly, so he may be an option? but not one I am overly keen on.

I like Blake on Cloke for endurance, Max on Medhurst for smarts and possibly Fisher on Anthony. Gilbert could get Dawes(spelling?) as they both have similar builds.

This leaves there two smaller fwds, Thomas, Davis, Macarthy, Lockyer and Pendlebury rotate through those spots, I expect Mini to get a run with on Pendlebury which probably means Goddard/Gramm and Raph/Gwilt will take their small Fwds. We miss a fit and in form Steven Baker more than we acknowledge I think.

Maybe this year?
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

the second time he ripped us apart and nobody sared to stand near him because he ripped the game apart.

he has really matured from a flashy player to a consistent, reliable performe and its a credit to him.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He's only a danger if Gilbo is on him again. Need someone smart, who can force him up the ground - like Nick Dal Santo. Still leaves the problem of the player with Gilbo.

Young Georgie
Club Player

This topic has had a run in previous threads throughout the week as Neon Leon lights up every time he plays us and its obviously a huge concern. There seemed to be some serious suggestion that CJ have him though the jury seems out with the theory being hard, close checking early with plenty of solid tackles to worry him into thinking someone's constantly on his tail throughout the game - even when CJ runs out of puff midway through the 3rd.

CJ probably doesn't have the smarts to read him was the fear but the logic seems OK. Maybe rotate as he moves up and down the ground with CJ working him in close and someone like Dal running with him when needed.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Great thread spot on he kills up because he is sooo quick and we have a slowish midfield... if we can shut him down it is a big step in the right direction

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Mini??.... does he have the pace?.. probably not, but he is the right size...

Also worried about Swann.. Cant really think who will go to him, but he is crucial to winning this match...

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

God damn hes annoying, whats the bet he'll kick a goal 50m out on the most acute angle <_< and i dunno if we have a good matchup on him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not saying it is a great match up but CJ will probably get Davis. Not a lot else IMO.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Yer probably CJ is the best match up we have... we really cant let him loose...

rexy
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Not saying it is a great match up but CJ will probably get Davis. Not a lot else IMO.
Best suggestion yet IMO.

Maybe this year?
jackal
Club Player

My strategy if I was coach would be to target Davis and actually smash him hard. Have a designated player to take him out at every stoppage and make him sh!t his dacks. The only reason he is going ok is that opponents are soft on him. Look at last week, the Cats sorted out a few of our boys (see Hunt on Harvey) by making sure that there are no soft kicks to be had.

Furphy
Club Player

Davis tore us to shreds both times this year, if we can shut him down, we will win.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I've looked at our team list that was sent through via email before, and in reality we look very strong. It's the effort we want to bring to the fight that'll count tomorrow night, and whether or not we were hurting after our scrap with the Cats?? Personally I didn't think we did too much against the Cats. We'd probably run out of legs from our game against the Bimbos the week before.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Not saying it is a great match up but CJ will probably get Davis. Not a lot else IMO.
I think its a good one myself, he has been playing further up the ground as a mid in recent weeks....CJ is fast, a good tackler and stronger overhead than we credit him for....

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

That's why Birss should be in the team

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:That's why Birss should be in the team
Birss is waaaaayyyyyy tooooooooo slow.

Need someone quicker to match up on him...he seems to revel in playing us...I'd hope its Jones.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:the second time he ripped us apart and nobody sared to stand near him because he ripped the game apart.

he has really matured from a flashy player to a consistent, reliable performe and its a credit to him.
I'm with you I used to class him as one of the most overrated players in the AFL that does nothing for 3 1/2 quarters but he's taken a big step up in the last year or so.

Still can go missing a bit but tends to cut you up a lot more now than he used to and such an accurate kick at goal from anywhere.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Joey to Davis?

Just a thought...

Cro
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:Joey to Davis?

Just a thought...
I think it might take him out of the game a bit too much. He seemed to struggle a bit in the first last week when Bartel went forward. I'd rather they have to put a match up on Joey then him go to Davis.

If we can shut out Davis and Thomas we should have the game won I would think, looking at the last two outings at least.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Gram on thomas

eddy or minnie on Davis