Saints Take Note!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Saints Take Note!

The Dogs game tonight proved two things IMHO!

1) There isn't a Tomorrow!
2) The Cats Bleed!

Make em both count!

From what I saw tonight, we'd have had the Cats measure! :evil: MY GOD, Bring it on! :twisted:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm not going to start posting thoughts on Geelong. Our opponents are Hawthorn.

If we win tomorrow night, then expect some lengthy posts from me on Geelong and our performance (or lack thereof) in the Qualifying final.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We'd have had there measure? Turn it up!
Love your optimism but we haven't played anywhere near that intensity and skill that the dogs dished up tonight. The dogs foot skills are 5 times better than ours,yes there kicking at goal was ordinary,but to say we'd have had the cats measure is laughable

Bring back the Lockett era
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm I thought at our best we would have outplayed them tonight. But each to their own I guess. Sure, the dogs looked pretty good, and maybe we would have looked great last time...IF we'd turned up to play. We looked real ordinary last time we met Geelong. I was extremely disappointed in what we brought to the fight! Very disappointed! Run & Risk my a$$!

Might as well throw it in tomorrow and let the Hawks through then hey?? No point going on?? Seriously...where is the faith?

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Saints Take Note!

St. Luke wrote:The Dogs game tonight proved two things IMHO!

1) There isn't a Tomorrow!
2) The Cats Bleed!

Make em both count!

From what I saw tonight, we'd have had the Cats measure! :evil: MY GOD, Bring it on! :twisted:
well they bled last year against the pies.... then smashed Port

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Geelong will be up next week as they were last year.

I dont care I just want to beat Hawthorn.

“Yeah….nah””
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Well F%$# it... I want both of their heads! :evil:

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:Hmmm I thought at our best we would have outplayed them tonight. But each to their own I guess. Sure, the dogs looked pretty good, and maybe we would have looked great last time...IF we'd turned up to play. We looked real ordinary last time we met Geelong. I was extremely disappointed in what we brought to the fight! Very disappointed! Run & Risk my a$$!

Might as well throw it in tomorrow and let the Hawks through then hey?? No point going on?? Seriously...where is the faith?
I'm with you Lukey :wink:

Lets get there first though mate...then anything is possible :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

the dogs would have won that match if they'd had any sort of a forward line.

it was the kind of match that disproves blanket statements such as "games are won in the midfield".

from what i could see the dogs dominated use of the ball for much of the second half but had no real solid avenues to goal. they kicked eight behinds in a row at one stage.

give 'em a fevola, a franklin or a riewoldt and they would have won or gone very close indeed.

btw, otiman is right in what he said. not much point in worrying about whether the cats can be beaten unless we win tomorrow night.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 19 Sep 2008 11:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:We'd have had there measure? Turn it up!
Love your optimism but we haven't played anywhere near that intensity and skill that the dogs dished up tonight. The dogs foot skills are 5 times better than ours,yes there kicking at goal was ordinary,but to say we'd have had the cats measure is laughable
You obviously were not at the MCG last Saturday night.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

It was the "Play on at any costs" factor that gave the Dogs an element of unpredictability. You slow the game down and make it "readable" and you give the Cat's time to counteract. I thought there was something very valuable to take out of tonights game, AND a good thing we played the Cats first.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
jonesy wrote:We'd have had there measure? Turn it up!
You obviously were not at the MCG last Saturday night.
At our best we can match the Cats...the players must believe it and the unthinkable is possible....

But again...the Hawks are all we need to worry about until 9.45 pm tommorrow night :roll: :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

IF we outplay the Hawks tomorrow night...surely we are in with an honest chance. I truly believe that!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

what we should have learnt tonight is that having the week off can sometimes means you don't come out firing at 100% straight away.

Key will be coming out firing and getting the jump on them. I would back our fitness to run over them after half time but it's the start where we need to make a statement.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
happy feet
Club Player

Umpires and Geelong

I thought the Dogs tackled and applied pressure tonight for little reward. The Cats have the umpires spooked - the do not call free kicks against them when they are tackled. Very poor show indeed and no consistency whatsoever.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

anyone love the look on abletts face when he was slung 360 in the tackle and the umpire had the gall to call holding the ball....

agree happy feet, how that was not a free to johnno????

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I thought the umpires tonight were more onto the Cat's cheating.

Next week I think they will be brought to earth and pinged every time they try to take on the tackler.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:I thought the umpires tonight were more onto the Cat's cheating.

Next week I think they will be brought to earth and pinged every time they try to take on the tackler.
Loved it. And the whinge like a bunch of girls every time they get pinged. Hope the umpires maintain the rage...Geelong are a great team, but they've had far too much 'assistance' over the last two years.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Must say aside from the fact they comprehensively outplayed us that irked me most from our loss to them - you swing Ablett/Bartel round 3 times before the ump decides to blow a......ball up.

Hayes gets touched once, inside their fwd 50 = automatic Girlong free.

They are blessed.

I did enjoy watching Ablett squeal like a stuck pig.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:you swing Ablett/Bartel round 3 times before the ump decides to blow a .... ball up.
they must be under instructions to try to break every tackle and use this ploy very effectively.

the umpires are completely hoodwinked. perhaps it's something we'll have to introduce down the track.

thing about ablett, as they mentioned on the commentary tonight, is that he keeps his feet so well in a tackle.

he's strong and still in control of the ball and like many very good players it's difficult for the umpires to ping him.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'll be content just shutting up those frigging hawks tomorrow night!

I say that now...but come Grand Final day I'll be screaming for the head of Geelong! :evil:

You don't go through a whole season to get this far, and play cautious!

You don't go through a whole season and get this far to play our opponents game!

You don't go 21 seasons to see your team-mates not give 100%

NO! It's not all Harvey, it's about the team as a whole and what we want to deliver! It's about making a stand, pathing a way and etching your names in the history books!

Tomorrow night gives our boys a chance to place their names in the history books! Not only will we help an all-time great achieve the impossible dream, but the story,the struggle and guts of the matter will go down as one of the greatest all-time great fairy-tale endings! You'd just have to give it everything! I've got my faith in Lyon. he could be the greatest tactics coach of the modern era and pull this off for us! You gotta believe it!

(PS: Anyone tell I'm into the Wild Turkey??? 8-) )
bigcarl wrote:
they must be under instructions to try to break every tackle and use this ploy very effectively.
That is Hawthorns tactic! Watch it tomorrow! It's as frustrating as f###!!
Last edited by St. Luke on Sat 20 Sep 2008 12:43am, edited 1 time in total.

4ever_saint
Club Player

wow folks, quick to say that the saints have already won tomorrow. far from it. when we played hawthorn last, the top 4 spot was already stitched up and they were preparing for geelong the next week. expect them to be a completely different team and the win is definately not guarenteed as a lot of people are making it out to be. if we do win, i'll eat my words and we can all talk about geelong. but for the momnet, we are playing hawthorn and the odds of us winning are not great.

i would love to win, but, we need to be realistic. we've lost 2 preliminary finals in 4 years, they are not our specialty. just take it one week at a time.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

4ever_saint wrote:wow folks, quick to say that the saints have already won tomorrow. far from it. when we played hawthorn last, the top 4 spot was already stitched up and they were preparing for geelong the next week. expect them to be a completely different team and the win is definately not guarenteed as a lot of people are making it out to be. if we do win, i'll eat my words and we can all talk about geelong. but for the momnet, we are playing hawthorn and the odds of us winning are not great.

i would love to win, but, we need to be realistic. we've lost 2 preliminary finals in 4 years, they are not our specialty. just take it one week at a time.
Worse things than losing to Hawthorn...like Collingwood! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Geez that's funny! 8-) :lol: :lol:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

confidence is an amazing thing...like a natural steroid.....Geelong are choc full of it but tonight....just for a while.....they looked twice, their disposal not as clean and they had some perceived pressure applied.......they are human.
Collingwood showed us and Dogs again exposed the Cats posession/corridor game...pressure, pressure, pressure and man on man and you give yourself a chance.

Lets practice on Hawthorn first....

“Yeah….nah””
pftxc

Sorry, first post but have been a saints supporter since 1964 and been through it all. Watched the game tonight ..for a while the Cats looked to be tired and vulnerable. The Dogs lack a forward line and were inaccurate. If we get up against the Hawks and I have some confidence, the cats look a little vulnerable. Two more games to go and I really believe that the current group of saints have the motivation and the fitness. If we get over the hawks, we have a real chance.

True, one game at a time. But if we win tomorrow night, we are in with a real chance.

Peter

Saints in 08