Riewoldt to CHB? Poor Coaching Display

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LennyBoy
Club Player

Riewoldt to CHB? Poor Coaching Display

I was extremely disappointed with some key decisions made from the box tonight after such a great display against Collingwood last week.

* Blake on Hodge from the opening bounce was a negative tactic
* Dal Santo clearly should have played forward to drag Bateman away from the play
* Rooey should have been in the action in the first half (not getting the ball forward and with the great form his in) why not try a CHB role.
* Sam Gilbert is not a key position back and they exposed him very well 1 on 1.

We had to win the game not save it, clearly we were too safe e,g. with Blake going into the ruck, the contest was already gone. We played the game on their terms which was very disappointing.
Last edited by LennyBoy on Sun 21 Sep 2008 2:10am, edited 1 time in total.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt to CHB? Poor Coaching Display

LennyBoy wrote:I was extremely disappointed with some key decisions made from the box tonight after such a great display against Collingwood last week.

* Dal Santo cleared should have played forward to drag Bateman away from the play
* Rooey should have been in the action in the first half (not getting the ball forward and with the great form his in) why not try a CHB role.

We had to win the game not save it, clearly we were too safe e,g. with Blake going into the ruck, the contest was already gone. We played the game on their terms which was very disappointing.
Havent been a huge fan of RL but wouldnt blame him at all tonight except picking Fizz over Birss. Made no difference at all though.

LennyBoy
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
LennyBoy wrote:I was extremely disappointed with some key decisions made from the box tonight after such a great display against Collingwood last week.

* Dal Santo cleared should have played forward to drag Bateman away from the play

Havent been a huge fan of RL but wouldnt blame him at all tonight except picking Fizz over Birss. Made no difference at all though.
Surely plugger though you would have to agree that our best player needed to be in the action when the game was on the line - especially in the 2nd term.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Not fussed over that. We needed someone to stop Hodge from dominating at half back (though Birss would have been ideal).
* Dal Santo clearly should have played forward to drag Bateman away from the play
That is an absolute no-brainer and I am amazed that it never happened. Bateman was slaughtering us and Dal gave us nothing. Either Bateman would follow him forward and be taken out of the game, or Dal would finally be able to get away from Bateman and try to create something for us.
* Rooey should have been in the action in the first half (not getting the ball forward and with the great form his in) why not try a CHB role

Roo needs to play forward every week. We do not have any other reliable marking option and he is our only consistent avanue to goal.
I think the problem was that they weren't playing him as a key position back. He was on the quick midget Williams and just couldn't keep up on the lead. Sam has been very good recently when played on talls and should continue in that role.

At the end of the day we just didn't have the cattle and no coaching moves could have won us the game.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Roo to CHB????

Was Duddy and Roughead running riot?????

I do not think the problem tonight was in our backline.

Midfield
Midfield
Midfield

Porr Disposal
Porr Disposal
Porr Disposal

Then we get onto other issues...but the above were the biggies.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
LennyBoy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Roo to CHB????

Was Duddy and Roughead running riot?????

I do not think the problem tonight was in our backline.

Midfield
Midfield
Midfield

Porr Disposal
Porr Disposal
Porr Disposal

Then we get onto other issues...but the above were the biggies.
Clearly you have Kerr on your mind. :lol: :lol:

goodie
Club Player

I don't know why Lyon persists in playing Gilbert on small forwards.

Gilbert vs. Eddie Betts - didn't work
Gilbert vs. Medhurst - didn't work
Gilbert vs. Williams - didn't work

He's not quick enough, and concedes too many frees. That was the most glaring error of tonight

Ross Strudwick

Thought our tackling was awfull tonight, some of our players still refuse to believe, when not in possesion, tackling is is an option. Found out badly.

Batnoe

Number 1

RL has equalled GT, both taken us to qualifying final

there is not- if only we had GT threads, RL has proven his worth IMO