Sorry Ross....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Sorry Ross....

....but you need to find another trick.

Can anyone out there name a game where we've won and looked good when Roo didn't blitz?

I can't think of any.

I think our 'top 4' season and finals win against a junior and undermanned Collingwood can be accredited to one man - Riewoldt.

Then look at the games when we've been poor. Guess what? Roo had a bad one.

Even on Saturday, the only glimmer of anything was when he kicked 3 in 10 minutes in the 3rd quarter.

Got a bit of work to do over summer to stop this reliance.

Imagine this year if Roo had have fully snapped his ACL as opposed to just tweaking it?

The 'master coach' wouldn't be overly popular I wouldn't think and we'd be asking some pretty serious questions.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sorry Ross....

rodgerfox wrote:....but you need to find another trick.

Can anyone out there name a game where we've won and looked good when Roo didn't blitz?

I can't think of any.

I think our 'top 4' season and finals win against a junior and undermanned Collingwood can be accredited to one man - Riewoldt.

Even on Saturday, the only glimmer of anything was when he kicked 3 in 10 minutes in the 3rd quarter.

Imagine this year if Roo had have fully snapped his ACL as opposed to just tweaking it?

The 'master coach' wouldn't be overly popular I wouldn't think and we'd be asking some pretty serious questions.
Beaten by a side that is 5 wins in a year better than us. Nothing the coach could do. Not a huge fan of RL but cannot blame him for the loss.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I can't think of any.

Beaten by a side that is 5 wins in a year better than us. Nothing the coach could do. Not a huge fan of RL but cannot blame him for the loss.

Not blaming him for this loss directly, however the reliance on Roo was once again highlighted.

He needs to fix this. It's been the major factor all year.

Note we beat Hawthorn comfortably last time. Note Roo was BOG that night.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The two best teams are playing in the Grand Final this year (and I couldn't care less about either). Lyon did a pretty good job getting the team up there, but Sat. night's game showed all our weaknesses. Hot and cold one-dimensional midfield, hot and cold one-dimensional forward line, too many players with not the mental toughness to get us into a Grand Final. No doubt heads will roll and new players recruited. I would think the handful of players who have been in our three most recent prelim final losses, would be under close scrutiny, as they have proved to be duds when it counts.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I can't think of any.

Not blaming him for this loss directly, however the reliance on Roo was once again highlighted.

We lost in the second quarter and that had nothing to do with the reliance on Roo. We couldnt get the footy in our hands because we just didnt have enough good players around the ball. Apart from Birss and Ball that was our best midfield and it clearly isnt good enough with players like Mini, CJ, Fiora and Eddy in there.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I can't think of any.

We lost in the second quarter and that had nothing to do with the reliance on Roo. We couldnt get the footy in our hands because we just didnt have enough good players around the ball. Apart from Birss and Ball that was our best midfield and it clearly isnt good enough with players like Mini, CJ, Fiora and Eddy in there.
I think we lost all night.

Milne's 2 easy misses early set the usual tone for mental softness.

Lenny's half arsed token bump on Hodge set the tone also. Note how hard Campbell hit Roo when he was hurt? He meant it. Lenny seemed almost like he was obliged to do it.

It seems to me, that outside of the coaches box we still have the issues in our heads to fix.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Round 7. Vs Richmond. Riewoldt had 9 touches, kicked 1.1 and didn't play the second half. Yet we came from 11 points down at half time to win, with no one on the bench and an two injured players (Maguire & Baker) on the field.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
Round 7. Vs Richmond. Riewoldt had 9 touches, kicked 1.1 and didn't play the second half. Yet we came from 11 points down at half time to win, with no one on the bench and an two injured players (Maguire & Baker) on the field.
I said 'and looked good'.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I can't think of any.

I think we lost all night.

Milne's 2 easy misses early set the usual tone for mental softness.

Lenny's half arsed token bump on Hodge set the tone also. Note how hard Campbell hit Roo when he was hurt? He meant it. Lenny seemed almost like he was obliged to do it.

It seems to me, that outside of the coaches box we still have the issues in our heads to fix.
we have lost that asshole attitude since hammer, powell etc stopped playing

we were the inventros of unsociable football as it is now called...when we played well we played rough, hard and at times over the rules...we were suspended however in my opinion it was worth the weeks

and yes the easy missed from kosi and roo set the standed for the night really...4 goals each at quarter time and the game might have been different...however the year that milne has had its unfortunate his last game wasn't his best and this will probably be used as another reason why we should get rid of him

agreed we look bad when rooey has a poorer game however when he is beaten our other forwards usually get dominated anyway due to a better defence...and again its all about supply and we broke down big time off half forward...

one good point was that our quick ball movement from broken play from our back 50 was superb...the quick handballs and movement was pleasing from what i could see on the tv...much space to be had whether that is just the way hawthorn zoned and gave us space running out to man up our attackers or not im not sure

ah well it looked promising...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Beno88 wrote:
Quote:

You have a good point, we didn't play outstanding footy, however to beat a side in good form with only 16 fit men looks good to me. Having said that, if not for another Riewoldt at the other end we could have easily lost.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
Beno88 wrote:
Quote:

not really, that kick from mini roo was outside 50 and most players would have struggled to get the distance so it was hardly his fault

You have a good point, we didn't play outstanding footy, however to beat a side in good form with only 16 fit men looks good to me. Having said that, if not for another Riewoldt at the other end we could have easily lost.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Beno88 wrote:
Beno88 wrote:
Quote:

not really, that kick from mini roo was outside 50 and most players would have struggled to get the distance so it was hardly his fault

Only a minute earlier the young bloke hit the post from 30m out directly in front too though.

Anyway, my point stands.

We have a very unhealthy reliance on Roo.

His efforts this year have masked how ordinary our young blokes are, and how average our year really was as a team.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Beno88 wrote:
Beno88 wrote:
Quote:

Only a minute earlier the young bloke hit the post from 30m out directly in front too though.

Anyway, my point stands.

We have a very unhealthy reliance on Roo.

His efforts this year have masked how ordinary our young blokes are, and how average our year really was as a team.
agreed, the youngen's look a bit average...no real glimpses or moments apart from an armitage tackle of bump to really get us excited...

at least with raph he had the balls to get the ball and run despite his shocking kicking and footy smarts earlier on...there will still signs there that kept us all interested

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

agreed, the youngen's look a bit average...no real glimpses or moments apart from an armitage tackle of bump to really get us excited...

at least with raph he had the balls to get the ball and run despite his shocking kicking and footy smarts earlier on...there will still signs there that kept us all interested
Raph and Armo I'm happy with.

But as I've said all along, the 'depth' we've added in Eddy, Jones etc. is no better than having Schwarze and Murray on the list.

I don't think we've improved in that area one bit.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Raph and Armo I'm happy with.

But as I've said all along, the 'depth' we've added in Eddy, Jones etc. is no better than having Schwarze and Murray on the list.

I don't think we've improved in that area one bit.
100% correct, its younger versios playing similar positions/filling in gaps whilst the better players are on the bench

at least both ts40 and murray won a game or two for us...

Solar
Saintsational Legend

very good point

our forward line became a joke on saturday night

gwilt and kosi are no the answer. chralie gardiner is not the answer.

I want to see allen start the year down forward but outside that the cupboard is bare.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
GrumpyOne

You can't build a castle if you haven't got the bricks, no matter how good a builder you are.

Plainly obvious we haven't got the cattle up forward, hence our one-dimensionistic approach to goals. GTrain is gone, Kosi is going through the motions only, and not enough spills for Milney and Schnieder and there you have it.

Pace and toughness in midfield is essential. Ball and Lenny provide the toughness, however the only consistant performer with pace is Joey.

Ross did well to get us to 4th with our limitations.

makemytime
Club Player

Solar wrote:very good point

our forward line became a joke on saturday night

gwilt and kosi are no the answer. chralie gardiner is not the answer.

I want to see allen start the year down forward but outside that the cupboard is bare.
Allen has got a strong body and should thrive in one-on-one marking contests. I saw him in the kangaroos game and he split three defenders while trying to take a mark.

During preseason, we should try allen at full-forward, so that we can take some pressure of roo to score and take cont. marks

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:You can't build a castle if you haven't got the bricks, no matter how good a builder you are.

Plainly obvious we haven't got the cattle up forward, hence our one-dimensionistic approach to goals. GTrain is gone, Kosi is going through the motions only, and not enough spills for Milney and Schnieder and there you have it.

Pace and toughness in midfield is essential. Ball and Lenny provide the toughness, however the only consistant performer with pace is Joey.

Ross did well to get us to 4th with our limitations.
I think we have a pretty good fwd line. It is the mids that are really ordinary.
Hopefully now RL has shored up the gaping holes left by the previous admin, he can get to work on the midfield strength.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spert
Saintsational Legend

Allen needs to be groomed as FF for 2009 and for the recruiters, I would like to see a taller running half forward flanker.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I can't think of any.

So we no longer have a top 4 list that you've maintained all year???

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Red
Club Player

Midfield is the problem. When we win in the midfield we kick enough goals.

When we get smashed like on Saturday night we don't get enough clean ball

to the forwards to kick goals.

On saturday night they felt pressure even when they had space and would

bomb the ball in which played into the Hawks hands instead of putting the

ball to the advantage of the forward. How many times did you see a saints

player standing under a ball and a hawk come over the top to spoil.

Only time we looked good was when Goddard went in the middle and he

can't be evry where.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:

I can't think of any.

I think it's even more clear that we do.

It's purely the talent of our good players that got us into the top 4.

When they play well, we win. When they don't - we don't.

When they don't, Lyon doesn't have any tricks left.

Now, that's not neccessarily a dig at Lyon, he did well in the 2nd half of the year to get the good players playing well - but he needs to have some form of plan in place to be able to compete when our guns dom't play well.

It's been 2 years, and his game plan seems to rely solely on the guns putting in matchwinning games.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

I can't think of any.

I think it's even more clear that we do.

It's purely the talent of our good players that got us into the top 4.

When they play well, we win. When they don't - we don't.

When they don't, Lyon doesn't have any tricks left.

Now, that's not neccessarily a dig at Lyon, he did well in the 2nd half of the year to get the good players playing well - but he needs to have some form of plan in place to be able to compete when our guns dom't play well.

It's ben 2 years, and his game plan seems to rely solely on the guns putting in matchwinning games.
Bullshyte. 200% Bullshyte. If we rely on match winners only, then the rest aren't up to it. Now I've heard it all Rodge.

:roll:

You are really full of it sometimes. You refer to 'the master coach' yet then say you're not having a dig at RL. :roll:

If the rest could carry the can, then we wouldn't have to rely on Roo now, would we? So if we rely on our stars to win... then how can you seriously state that we have a top 4 list???

HAwthorn have talent down to player 22, so do the Cats... We don't.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
markp
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote: You are really full of it sometimes.
Too generous.