Another season review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Another season review

Am somewhat bored,so might do a review and let myself be shot down by the masses.

I'll give a report on each player and what I think there future is at the club. In fairness to some I haven't seen a great deal of scorpians games(what I had hasn't impressed),but a few will be chopped anyway.

So here it is

Jarryd Allen - Good size about him,didn't show much in the seniors when he was in,but needs another year or two. Won't be a star,might be reasonable at best.

David Armitage- Started ok, but lost form. Looks a good type though,won't be a superstar that we always pray a first rounder to become,but I think he will be a handy/good midfielder for us. He did struggle with the pace of the game in the finals , but I think he'll be a solid player for us in 2 years time.

Jayden Attard - Feel sorry for him after doing his knee in Sydney last year,but we can't be a charity down at Moorabbin,so Attard go's. Was an honest battler,but really how many honest battlers that don't get much of the ball do we need?

Steven Baker- Unsure if he'll get back to what he was,even before the injury this year he was struggeling. Unsure how he'll come back after this knee injury,he's never had any issues in the past,so this will be a major test for him??? If he gets through a good pre season he should be right for another two,if not it could be the end

Luke Ball- Pretty good year. He showed glimpses that he was nearly back to his best at times,yet othertimes he still looked hampered by OP or whatever is troubling him? It's yet another tragedy for the club that he hasn't been able to blossom into the player he was going to be. You wonder how long he has in the game considering the battering his body gets. You wouldn't think he will go past 30 at AFL level

Shane Birss- Thought he was good whenever he did play. Obviously Lyon didn't? Think he got dropped after the Gabba game,which was baffeling as he was one of our better players at that stage. He is a good backup player to have on the list,a depth player.

Jason Blake- Had his best year at the club easily. Good on him. I've been critical of him in the past(like most),but he's certainly got a big heart and you have to respect that.

Glenn Chivers- Never seen him play. Reports are average...goodbye

Raphael Clarke- Raphael...if ever there was someone to save there career at the 11th hour then he is the case. I had him written off as finished, but he saved himself in the past 5 weeks. He's not over the line yet,but if he performs like he did late,he might still have a reasonable future

Xavier Clarke- At the crossroads as a footballer. Another 'gonna be star' that has been crippled by injuries. Serious question marks on his body? If any other club will do a reasonable trade I'd jump at it... don't think we'll get one though. If he gets his body right we'll be so much better for as a club...but how long have we been saying that for?

Eljay Connors- Surely this guy is not going to be able to cut it at AFL level ? He's built like a twig!! He will have to be one talented kid to make it in the rigours of AFL football

Nick Dal Santo- Worst year of his career,but was still capable of playing some great football. There's talk to trade him,personally I wouldn't unless it meant we are going to get Kerr,then I would. Also he may well want out? His body language appears that way at times.

I dunno,Dal's Dal. He is never going to be a crash and bang contested footy midfielder. He's always going to be loose on his man. However you have to look at his positives......sublime skills, one of the few in our side who can deliver the footy...we can't be giving away players that can actually kick the ball as we have very few of them!He can...and at times does,cut sides to shreds. If Dal played for Geelong he'd win the Brownlow. He is a brilliant flat track bully and that's what we have to expect from him. When the chips are down he's probably going to dissapoint a lot of times,but is a supreme icing on the cake player. The better our midfield is,the better Dal is.

Trade only if it means we get Kerr...or someone of that ilk

Sean Dempster- Ordinary early,then became a handy tagger as the year progressed. Probably the best of our plodding taggers, so he holds value to the side,but we can't have too may of his types

Robert Eddy- Won the club raffle this year in where the 1st prize was being a compulsory starter in the firsts,even if you contribute and show little.
Try's hard,and is still young...but meh..he'll want to show more next year in the two's before he egts another crack at it

Matthew Ferguson- He's almost there as a senior player...he almost looks to good for Casey...almost! To long been an almost,time to go

Aaron Fiora- Not much to see here. Think he's contracted for another year. So he should be kept as an injury crisis player,then delisted soon as he contracts up

Leigh Fisher- He may not be there next year. Having said that,we can't delist half the list , he may survive as a depth player. Dissapointing the way he truned out,he was promising 4 years ago.

Sam Fisher- Mr Reliable down back. What an excellent footballer he has turned out to be. Don't need to say much more

Charlie Gardiner- Stays on the list for mine. As a depth player. He is capable of contributing in times of player shortages...he can play a role. His best game was in Sydney,looked dangerous that night. Unfortunatly doesn't do it enough

Michael Gardiner- Was worth the punt,but his time is gone,well and truly. Hopefully he might persuade Cuz into coming down to Linton st but?

Jarryn Geary- Good player at VFL level,severley struggles with the pace of the game at AFL level. Having said that he was ok early,and excellent in the NAB cup. He might mature into a player...only a 'might' though, we seem to have a lot of these.

Gtrain- Thanks for the memories

Sam Gilbert- Most dissapointing player of the year for mine. Last year I had him down a star of the future,this year he did a complete 180...looked like he wasn't up to it. Started to show bits of 07 form later in the year, but his skills are abyssmal. Interested too see how he go's next year.

Brendon Goddard- He's almost working his way into the elite bracket...he did late in the year. One to watch for 09 is BJ

Jason Gram- I rate Gram highly in the importance of our football side. He breaks the lines and provides valuable carry. He is almost our barometer, if he's having a good day we generally win. If the opposition shut him down we struggle. Was horrible early in the season,but his second half was terrific and no coincidence of our form reversal

James Gwilt- Keep him for one more. He's not going to be a star,but he's worth persisting with for one more year. Lovely long kick, strong body...was drafted as a project player,and to this day still is you'd have to say. He looks ok up forward..shocking down back

Khan Haretuku- No idea

Robert Harvey- Thanks for the memories. Second best player I've seen at the club. The mid to late 90's he was unstoppable and literally couldnt be tackled..people have forgotten how good at that he was.

Lenny Hayes- Good year from Lendog. However is having problems with his disposal these days,hasn't been as sharp since the knee op.

Brad Howard- Goodbye

Max Hudghton- Better as the year went on. Go again Max

Clinton Jones- Admire his efforts. Let's be honest here though,he's not a premiership player

Steve King- Was ok for us. Valuable pick up. Wouldn't say he was great like many on here do. His hit outs are questionable at times,seem to to go backwards to an opposition player, but he's been ok...

Justin Kositcke- Terrible season for all the hype that surrounds him. If someone wants him and they offer us a reasonable trade we take it. Might be better for both parties . Kosi looks like he thinks he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Need a fresh start..and we need some more running type players. Do the deal

Matthew Maguire- Project full forward for mine. Unless he trains the house down in the pre season.

Ben Mcevoy- Can take a grab. Won't be a star like many suggest. Needs to lift his attitude from reports I've heard

Andrew McQualter- Looked ok a couple of games,but that was as good as it got. Maybe retain him as a depth player...unsure?

Luke Miles- Haven't seen him play.

Stephen Milne- Very good year for yapper. People said he wouldn't get a game once we recruited Schneider...showed them up,and showed he is better than Schneider. He's always going to have the tag on his head of struggling against good opposition,it's probably fair enough. Missed 2 he should of kicked early against the hawks,was a chance at silencing some critics after a good game against Collingwood.
He's a must on the list. An entertainer,provides spark,something we don't have a lot of

Leigh Montagna- Joey can be good. You could argue he is a flat track bully. He's not consistent enough for mine to be rated as high as some do.

Nick Rewoildt- After an ordinary first half of the year where he at times seemed to have the 'Kosi chip on the shoulder' look, he completly turned it around in the second half of the year and silenced his critics,me included. He went the next level,and became the captain we wanted him to be. He stopped dropping his head and sulking after kicking points,he was a leader. Dragged us over the line a few times on the run home.
He went to the next level

Michael Rix- The man mountain. Will they keep him on for one more as a back up back up? Love to see him get angry and use that huge frame and polax a few players...but he's a gentle giant.

Adam Schneider- After a terrible first half he turned his season around. Early on he looked unfit and disinterested..looked like he was missing Sydney. However as the year went on he found some good patches of form. If he can get his body right and do a good pre season he'll be very good for us in 09 and beyond

Jack Steven- Some good wraps on him,haven't seen a lot of him to comment. Hopefully the wraps are right and he can become a player for us,as good god we need some young talent!

Luke Van Reenan- Unsure?

Season 08...it's a hard one. Round 11 or 12 when we played the dogs at the dome was the lowlight for mine. The entire playing group looked disenchanted with the game, disinterested,we had no system,no heart. Then we just hung on against Freo and there was a change in the attitude it seems? Was this a result of the dropping of Dal Santo and Milne? Possibly so,and Lyon has to be given credit for that,he was widely critisised at the time,but you'd have to say it worked.

It wasn't all rosy on the run home,but it was a vast improvement from mid season. I think at the end of the day 4th flattered us. We had a lot of luck on the run home,playing some very ordinary sides that were ravaged by injuries. We put in some shockers still in the second half (undermanned West Coast,Collingwood,and even the Port game which we just won).

The season for mine ended up being a pretty good result for us considering where we were at round 12. I was convinced we were heading back to the bottom the way we were looking,but the club fought it out,and scratched and fought it's way to 4th spot.

However the finals losses showed we are a long long way off a premiership. We were an absolute rabble against the Cats and the Hawks. The pies win was a good one, but let's face it,they had a young list in.

Improvement in 09? We have a lot of work to do from where I sit. I can't see too much improvement coming from this current list, if any. We need some additions if we're going to be able to have another shot at it in the near future. This list won't win us a flag. Will be interesting to see what approach the club takes. Whether it trades heavily,or whether it's rebuilds through the draft. I think we can do a mixture of both. I'll leave that to the 'experts' .

We badly need to be able to find players who can kick, and we need players who can win the contested footy,these are our weaknesses,and they're pretty big floors if you put it into context for winning a flag.
Last edited by jonesy on Tue 23 Sep 2008 11:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bring back the Lockett era
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Re: Another season review

Ben Mcevoy- Can take a grab. Won't be a star like many suggest. Needs to lift his attitude from reports I've heard

Give it some time mate geez

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree with a lot of your post....except

"Justin Kositcke- Terrible season for all the hype that surrounds him. If someone wants him and they offer us a reasonable trade we take it. Might be better for both parties . Kosi looks like he thinks he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Need a fresh start..and we need some more running type players. Do the deal"

I need more detail from people who want to trade Kosi, some examples of someone who we can pick up that is as versatile as he is? I just think we would be crazy to get rid of a 197cm forward/2nd ruckman, wouldn't we?

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Re: Another season review

jonesy wrote:Am somewhat bored,so might do a review and let myself be shot down by the masses.

I'll give a report on each player and what I think there future is at the club. In fairness to some I haven't seen a great deal of scorpians games(what I had hasn't impressed),but a few will be chopped anyway.

So here it is

Jarryd Allen - Good size about him,didn't show much in the seniors when he was in,but needs another year or two. Won't be a star,might be reasonable at best.

David Armitage- Started ok, but lost form. Looks a good type though,won't be a superstar that we always pray a first rounder to become,but I think he will be a handy/good midfielder for us. He did struggle with the pace of the game in the finals , but I think he'll be a solid player for us in 2 years time.

Jayden Attard - Feel sorry for him after doing his knee in Sydney last year,but we can't be a charity down at Moorabbin,so Attard go's. Was an honest battler,but really how many honest battlers that don't get much of the ball do we need?

Steven Baker- Unsure if he'll get back to what he was,even before the injury this year he was struggeling. Unsure how he'll come back after this knee injury,he's never had any issues in the past,so this will be a major test for him??? If he gets through a good pre season he should be right for another two,if not it could be the end

Luke Ball- Pretty good year. He showed glimpses that he was nearly back to his best at times,yet othertimes he still looked hampered by OP or whatever is troubling him? It's yet another tragedy for the club that he hasn't been able to blossom into the player he was going to be. You wonder how long he has in the game considering the battering his body gets. You wouldn't think he will go past 30 at AFL level

Shane Birss- Thought he was good whenever he did play. Obviously Lyon didn't? Think he got dropped after the Gabba game,which was baffeling as he was one of our better players at that stage. He is a good backup player to have on the list,a depth player.

Jason Blake- Had his best year at the club easily. Good on him. I've been critical of him in the past(like most),but he's certainly got a big heart and you have to respect that.

Glenn Chivers- Never seen him play. Reports are average...goodbye

Raphael Clarke- Raphael...if ever there was someone to save there career at the 11th hour then he is the case. I had him written off as finished, but he saved himself in the past 5 weeks. He's not over the line yet,but if he performs like he did late,he might still have a reasonable future

Xavier Clarke- At the crossroads as a footballer. Another 'gonna be star' that has been crippled by injuries. Serious question marks on his body? If any other club will do a reasonable trade I'd jump at it... don't think we'll get one though. If he gets his body right we'll be so much better for as a club...but how long have we been saying that for?

Eljay Connors- Surely this guy is not going to be able to cut it at AFL level ? He's built like a twig!! He will have to be one talented kid to make it in the rigours of AFL football

Nick Dal Santo- Worst year of his career,but was still capable of playing some great football. There's talk to trade him,personally I wouldn't unless it meant we are going to get Kerr,then I would. Also he may well want out? His body language appears that way at times.

I dunno,Dal's Dal. He is never going to be a crash and bang contested footy midfielder. He's always going to be loose on his man. However you have to look at his positives......sublime skills, one of the few in our side who can deliver the footy...we can't be giving away players that can actually kick the ball as we have very few of them!He can...and at times does,cut sides to shreds. If Dal played for Geelong he'd win the Brownlow. He is a brilliant flat track bully and that's what we have to expect from him. When the chips are down he's probably going to dissapoint a lot of times,but is a supreme icing on the cake player. The better our midfield is,the better Dal is.

Trade only if it means we get Kerr...or someone of that ilk

Sean Dempster- Ordinary early,then became a handy tagger as the year progressed. Probably the best of our plodding taggers, so he holds value to the side,but we can't have too may of his types

Robert Eddy- Won the club raffle this year in where the 1st prize was being a compulsory starter in the firsts,even if you contribute and show little.
Try's hard,and is still young...but meh..he'll want to show more next year in the two's before he egts another crack at it

Matthew Ferguson- He's almost there as a senior player...he almost looks to good for Casey...almost! To long been an almost,time to go

Aaron Fiora- Not much to see here. Think he's contracted for another year. So he should be kept as an injury crisis player,then delisted soon as he contracts up

Leigh Fisher- He may not be there next year. Having said that,we can't delist half the list , he may survive as a depth player. Dissapointing the way he truned out,he was promising 4 years ago.

Sam Fisher- Mr Reliable down back. What an excellent footballer he has turned out to be. Don't need to say much more

Charlie Gardiner- Stays on the list for mine. As a depth player. He is capable of contributing in times of player shortages...he can play a role. His best game was in Sydney,looked dangerous that night. Unfortunatly doesn't do it enough

Michael Gardiner- Was worth the punt,but his time is gone,well and truly. Hopefully he might persuade Cuz into coming down to Linton st but?

Jarryn Geary- Good player at VFL level,severley struggles with the pace of the game at AFL level. Having said that he was ok early,and excellent in the NAB cup. He might mature into a player...only a 'might' though, we seem to have a lot of these.

Gtrain- Thanks for the memories

Sam Gilbert- Most dissapointing player of the year for mine. Last year I had him down a star of the future,this year he did a complete 180...looked like he wasn't up to it. Started to show bits of 07 form later in the year, but his skills are abyssmal. Interested too see how he go's next year.

Brendon Goddard- He's almost working his way into the elite bracket...he did late in the year. One to watch for 09 is BJ

Jason Gram- I rate Gram highly in the importance of our football side. He breaks the lines and provides valuable carry. He is almost our barometer, if he's having a good day we generally win. If the opposition shut him down we struggle. Was horrible early in the season,but his second half was terrific and no coincidence of our form reversal

James Gwilt- Keep him for one more. He's not going to be a star,but he's worth persisting with for one more year. Lovely long kick, strong body...was drafted as a project player,and to this day still is you'd have to say. He looks ok up forward..shocking down back

Khan Haretuku- No idea

Robert Harvey- Thanks for the memories. Second best player I've seen at the club. The mid to late 90's he was unstoppable and literally couldnt be tackled..people have forgotten how good at that he was.

Lenny Hayes- Good year from Lendog. However is having problems with his disposal these days,hasn't been as sharp since the knee op.

Brad Howard- Goodbye

Max Hudghton- Better as the year went on. Go again Max

Clinton Jones- Admire his efforts. Let's be honest here though,he's not a premiership player

Steve King- Was ok for us. Valuable pick up. Wouldn't say he was great like many on here do. His hit outs are questionable at times,seem to to go backwards to an opposition player, but he's been ok...

Justin Kositcke- Terrible season for all the hype that surrounds him. If someone wants him and they offer us a reasonable trade we take it. Might be better for both parties . Kosi looks like he thinks he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Need a fresh start..and we need some more running type players. Do the deal

Matthew Maguire- Project full forward for mine. Unless he trains the house down in the pre season.

Do the rest later,Underbelly's started :wink:
Actually I agree with absolutely everything you've stated but I also think Gwilt has to go barely up to our standard now if some better players come in and our level goes up he won't be up to it.

Gilbert needs to sharpen up It's bad enough that he turns the ball over and gets caught with the ball and gives away frees when spoiling marks but it's in the worst area on the ground. It wouldn't be as damaging if it was down the other end.

I'm going to throw a couple of curve balls in too and say IMO Baker and Maguire wont be able to make it back to the level and are finished.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

great post jonesy. not sure who you are but i agree with everyting u said here.

i usually argue with most people on this site. and most people call me names. bbut you are right on the money in my humble opinion.

especially like your post on raf. i had sold him off years ago. but 2 good finals is equal to to 20 good home and away games in my book. talk about saving his ass at the 11th hour!

my only difference from you is i am worried about matt maquire. i have heard his injury was quite horrific and he may never be the same again.

rockchick

Jonesy! Cut CJ some slack.....the kid played with a lot of heart and guts all season....something that the whole team was totally lacking. I think that if the right people take real intereast in him he will really suprise a lot of folks.

groupie1
Club Player

on the question of trading Kozi - how does a straight swap for Kerr sound?

Or how about a swap to the Dogs for a couple hard runners?

Kozi to Dogs.
Couple runners and a pick to WC.
Kerr and a low pick to St Kilda.
Two low picks and Maguire to Hawthorn for Boyle.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

rockchick wrote:Jonesy! Cut CJ some slack.....the kid played with a lot of heart and guts all season....something that the whole team was totally lacking. I think that if the right people take real intereast in him he will really suprise a lot of folks.
Thought I did.....said I admire him,but honestly,not a premiership player

Bring back the Lockett era
battye
Saintsational Legend

Agree with Eddy/Allen/McEvoy. Granted I don't know how they have performed in VFL (not that it's an indication, AFL is a much different ball game) but from what I have seen of them it doesn't look like they are star material. Eddy and Allen each had quite a few chances and did not a lot.... McEvoy can be excused because he played just one game.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD