St Kilda V Bulldogs !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda V Bulldogs !!

I am talking about the difference between the way a couple of true champions exited the game

St Kilda (not for the first time) handled and orchestrated Robert Harvey's exit with the professionalism and dignity that a champion deserves and let Harvs go out on his terms

The Bulldogs de-listed Scott West after 320+ games

Makes me feel proud to be a sainter !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Interested you say on "his own terms"......he said post match on (I think) 3LO that his mind and body were still capable, but it was time for some new blood.....sounded like a lot of regret about the retirement and some resentment.

....just my take on it....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

to be fair to the Doggies, West hadn't played for a long time and Harvs was still well and truly holding his spot in the side. If West had still been playing he would probably have had a send off as well.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

criticised if they kept him and criticised if they didnt

they were going to be lambasted regardless

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Interested you say on "his own terms"......he said post match on (I think) 3LO that his mind and body were still capable, but it was time for some new blood.....sounded like a lot of regret about the retirement and some resentment.

Sheesh..thats twice you've tried to insinuate something sinister about Harv's retirement :?

I also heard him say on Brownlow night that he, in all honesty, couldnt wait for the final siren to go on Saturday Night as he knew his time was up.

Leave well enough alone eh? He's retired, the whole process was handled wonderfully and I reckon Harv's knows he's done exactly the right thing..for himself AND the team.

Must there be a conspiracy theory in everything? Next youll blame the AFL or the Bracks Government :roll: 8-) :wink:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Interested you say on "his own terms"......he said post match on (I think) 3LO that his mind and body were still capable, but it was time for some new blood.....sounded like a lot of regret about the retirement and some resentment.

Sheesh..thats twice you've tried to insinuate something sinister about Harv's retirement :?

I also heard him say on Brownlow night that he, in all honesty, couldnt wait for the final siren to go on Saturday Night as he knew his time was up.

Leave well enough alone eh? He's retired, the whole process was handled wonderfully and I reckon Harv's knows he's done exactly the right thing..for himself AND the team.

Must there be a conspiracy theory in everything? Next youll blame the AFL or the Bracks Government :roll: 8-) :wink:
no i blame kevin rudd and his little sidekick swan

they are the reason for everything bad both home and abroad

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

Well I am so sorry for talking about what I heard on the radio and my take on it....won't do it again I promise.

Re the brownlow comment, at that stage the decision had been made (well it was made a month+ ago), so sure, regardless of what really transpired I coudn't blame him for wanting the game to finish at half time, like most of us at the game did (I included!).

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:criticised if they kept him and criticised if they didnt. they were going to be lambasted regardless
i haven't heard too many criticise the actual decision. it's just the way it was handled.

they should have let him know months ago that he didn't feature in their plans for the future.

poor bugger was hanging on to false hopes and delusions for months and until yesterday afternoon had high hopes of going around again.

sad end for a champion player and, by all accounts, a great bloke.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:criticised if they kept him and criticised if they didnt. they were going to be lambasted regardless
i haven't heard too many criticise the actual decision. it's just the way it was handled.

they should have let him know months ago that he didn't feature in their plans for the future.

poor bugger was hanging on to false hopes and delusions for months and until yesterday afternoon had high hopes of going around again.

sad end for a champion player and, by all accounts, a great bloke.
Exactly, hence the OP !!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Must say Eastern, I love the way the Saints shafted Nicky Winmar.

How can you compare the exit of Harves and West?

Harves announced his retirement and played the season out.

West was injured and unable to play the season out.

What would we have done, if Harves had missed the last 8 or 9 games?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
lendog heaven
Club Player

can tell you one thing - if King Ego Thomas was still our coach, Banger's career would have ended in 2006. Thank you Ross for letting us farewell our champ in such a protracted and memorable way.

Tramps like us.............
LennyBoy
Club Player

You think :roll: :roll: :roll: What the hell you honestly have no clue on any football matter whats so ever, and especially on the great man.

Once again clearly your ego comes out here. How dare you question the timing and retirement of a great of the St Kilda Footy Club. It was done with the highest level of respect at club level and the decision was made on Robert's terms.

How about you retire and take a back seat, its long overdue. This place doesn't need any more egotistical clowns like yourself.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

St.Kilda v Bulldogs

The other Grand Final

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Must say Eastern, I love the way the Saints shafted Nicky Winmar.
There is much more to that story, but this is NOT the forum to discuss it !!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

:
I am note sure what you heard...but when I heard Banger speak on this he was talking from the view that the game was over at half time and so he could not wait till the final siren due him knowing that he would not make the GF. He said it was uncharactertic for him...

When I heard him on this it was ot on Brownlow night...but was on the radio.

From all the hints I have heard...I would guestimate that Harvey would like to have played on next year......but that he knows it is time to give the kidsa go.

Hence his comment about having had 21 shots ata flag.

In terms of West.....it is quite different situaton as west 100% wants to play on....but his body cleary is not right to do so. So player wants to go on...club wants him to go....so for the god of the club the Dogs have called time.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:St.Kilda v Bulldogs

The other Grand Final
what the grand final of the preenial losers?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I caught the tail-end of something today that mentioned Lowe & Burke (I think) had roped (or had invited) Harvs to play with them???? Apparently Harvs was quite pleased about the invite.

Maybe someone could further clarify???

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
saint66au wrote:

:
I am note sure what you heard...but when I heard Banger speak on this he was talking from the view that the game was over at half time and so he could not wait till the final siren due him knowing that he would not make the GF. He said it was uncharactertic for him...

From all the hints I have heard...I would guestimate that Harvey would like to have played on next year......but that he knows it is time to give the kidsa go.

In terms of West.....it is quite different situaton as west 100% wants to play on....but his body cleary is not right to do so. So player wants to go on...club wants him to go....so for the god of the club the Dogs have called time.
Take your point sRs, but I reckon theres a fair gulf between "time to give the kids a go" and "sounded like a lot of regret about the retirement and some resentment".

Maybe shouldnt have singled ya out SP, thre are others too, but it just irks me sometimes that people have to look for a grassy knoll or a shadowy conspiracy. To me, all the signs have pointed to Harv's being very comfortable about his retirement AND, just as importantly, just as comfortable with how its been handled by the Club

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the example used is incorrect?
Maybe we should compare teh way West was dispensed with against Hammil?
Both players had suffered long term injuries and apparently wanted to play on.

In Hammil's case, the Saints somehow convinced him to announce his retirement. Unfortunately the WB either didn't bother or weren't able to convince West to do similarly.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:I caught the tail-end of something today that mentioned Lowe & Burke (I think) had roped (or had invited) Harvs to play with them???? Apparently Harvs was quite pleased about the invite.

yeah to play for the amateurs

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
St. Luke wrote:I caught the tail-end of something today that mentioned Lowe & Burke (I think) had roped (or had invited) Harvs to play with them???? Apparently Harvs was quite pleased about the invite.

Old Hailabury. Jamie Shanahan (coach) & Stewie Loewe have invited Harvs down for a few games next yr. I think Brett Voss plays there too.

We all know that the amateurs isn't as strictly amateur as they would have us believe. I wonder where the kids of these guys will go to school, and the level of the "scholarships" !!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

LennyBoy wrote:
You think :roll: :roll: :roll: What the hell you honestly have no clue on any football matter whats so ever, and especially on the great man.

Once again clearly your ego comes out here. How dare you question the timing and retirement of a great of the St Kilda Footy Club. It was done with the highest level of respect at club level and the decision was made on Robert's terms.
Was it?

bozza1980
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Maybe the example used is incorrect?
Maybe we should compare teh way West was dispensed with against Hammil?
Both players had suffered long term injuries and apparently wanted to play on.

In Hammil's case, the Saints somehow convinced him to announce his retirement. Unfortunately the WB either didn't bother or weren't able to convince West to do similarly.
I'm far from the inside but from what I have read they initially told Scott West of the fact that he was not a required player. The meeting ended uprumptly as West stormed out.

They were unable to contact him the rest of the day so decided to tell the truth rather than try and stage the "retirement" announcement they were hopeful of before the meeting.

I think West's reaction was understandable as was the Bulldogs decision, it is an unfortunate way for them to see off one of their champions but there isn't much you can do if they player wants to play on and you don't want him too.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

saintly wrote:

Harves has already been approached to play footy for Mt Martha which is where he lives.

Rumour also has it that he may be donning the whites this summer and padding at the club where he played as a junior and where his brother Steve is an assistant coach...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
saint66au wrote:

:

Take your point sRs, but I reckon theres a fair gulf between "time to give the kids a go" and "sounded like a lot of regret about the retirement and some resentment".

Maybe shouldnt have singled ya out SP, thre are others too, but it just irks me sometimes that people have to look for a grassy knoll or a shadowy conspiracy. To me, all the signs have pointed to Harv's being very comfortable about his retirement AND, just as importantly, just as comfortable with how its been handled by the Club
When Harvs first announced his retirement, I said on here that I didn't care if it was his or the club's decision, as I was happy with how it was handled - even if I wasn't comfortable with him finishing up at the end of the year.....I don't mind if Ross was one pushing the decision - crikey, the bloke/sorry LEGEND is 37 and his time was up sooner or later - that we all know.

Harvs in a strange way may have been holding back the kids and others just by his sheer presence and aura on field.....just a mind thingy if you get my drift.

At the end of the day, all I hope for is that we can cover his loss and it doesn't hurt the club next season, and he returns to the club in a coaching/official capacity very soon.