Hypothetical: If you could play one game for the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Hypothetical: If you could play one game for the Saints

Hi

I was daydreaming today, and thinking about what it would be like to put on the Saints jumper, just once, and play with the team.

Then I was thinking... how would that actually pan out?

I'm a little years older than the young kid Harves, and I realized that I probably couldn't even run off the field to the interchange bench.

So... I was thinking... come on, about one minute before the end of a quarter (that way, I don't have to run off... just walk off when the siren goes each quarter).

Ok... so in my 4 minutes per game (1 minute each quarter), I was thinking that there's still time to kick the winning goal (so for the last quarter at least I'd have to be close to goal), but I was thinking that it would be better if I was close to the interchange bench so that I didn't get
too tired getting into position.

And in the rooms after the game, as all the boys were standing around congratulating me, my daydream involved Harves pushing his way through (cause he'd still be around the club) and asking if there was anything he could do for me. So then I'd ask him one favour (and he'd obviously oblige)... the conversation would go something like this.

"Robert, would you mind signing something for me?"
"Sure. No problem"
And I pull out a photo of the great man.
"Would you mind signing it 'To Mark'?"
"No Problem".
"And could you write, 'You champion', as well?"
"Sure", he says with a smile.
He signs it...
"And just one more thing..." I say, as he thinks our conversation is over...
"Would you mind adding 'Thanks for teaching me everything I know about football"?
(Alright, it might not be realistic but it's my daydream so humour me)>

So I was thinking about what an amazing experience the whole thing would be ... and that lead to a couple of questions:

1. Is there room in the salary cap for me? (Oh, that reminds me... gotta get a player manager).

2. If you had a chance to play one game... what would it involve?

Cheers
Mark

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If I was in that position, with a chance to kick the winning goal, I would have to be in the goal square with no one in front of me, in order to make the distance nowadays.

GrumpyOne

This isn't on subject but it reminds me of a game I once played.

Back before interchange.... was named 19th man.

Got a run 10 mins before end of game.

Ball immediately kicked towards me.

Went up for the contest.

Knocked out cold.

Carried off and replaced by 20th man.

Woke up in Casualty in Hospital. :(

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm flat running out to the letterbox these days :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
HarveysDeciple

GrumpyOne wrote:This isn't on subject but it reminds me of a game I once played.

Went up for the contest.

Knocked out cold.

shades of Mil Hannah's debut.

first minute of the game, flew up in a pack and took a screamer. Landed awkwardly, snapped his ACL and needed a reco.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Being 24, i'm prime for the leadership group, so things would start with me giving the speech in the huddle as Rooey is doing the toss. Then, when he comes back, it would be a bit of "all yours, Roo"

I think I'd play in a forward pocket, but I'd start at the opening bounce at half forward, come hard off the line, and pick off one of the opposition midifielders. Perhaps we're playing Geelong, Friday night footy, so i'd give a Stephen Powell-style sledge into the umps mic, like "you had that coming Ablett, you bald headed .....) If i'm only playing one game, going to the tribunal doesn't bother me :)

Then I'd park myself in the goal square. Lead into the space behind Roo, finish with 3 kicks, 2 handballs, for 1.1.

The real icing on the cake would be the squealing women outside the changerooms after the game. There'd be a lot of "...we love you..." and "...OMG we think you're so hot..." and i'd have to break the bad news, "Sorry Goose, they're talking to me mate". I'd keep the adoring fans happy, signing autographs outside the rooms until long after the game....

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I have actually played two games for St Kilda. One at Moorabbin and one at Victoria Park. Shows my age.

I ran around like a chook with my head cut off for the first quarter, but didn't get benched in either game.

Those were the days. Never gave an autograph though. :(

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Saint 58
Club Player

Hi Guys, (n Gals)

I haven't been on for ages, keep reading though, anyway ...

My one game for the Saints would be against Geelong, in a forward pocket.

Would start by punching Scarlett in the neck and then drop the knees in after he goes down. From there I would punch Scarlett in the head at every opportunity in a contest or shirt front him, depending on the situation.

When the ball in not in our forward line, I would continually abuse him and punch him in the neck like he did to Roo.

As he is finally carried off by two trainers, I would verbally abuse him and occasionally sprint up to the wing and abuse him some more.

When he comes back on it would be more of the same, and finally at the end of the game I would get into his face and abuse him, his family, his heritage and anything else I could think of. If he says one word I would snap him.

Sure I would get 10-12 weeks but it would all be worth it and also Roo would kick about 8 goals.

If you're wondering - yeah I hate that smug arrogant turd Scarlett.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:I have actually played two games for St Kilda. One at Moorabbin and one at Victoria Park. Shows my age.

I ran around like a chook with my head cut off for the first quarter, but didn't get benched in either game.

Seniors?

luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

Considering my age, I'd probably be made into a developmental player.
On my debut game I'd be designated benchwarmer for most of the first half.

As I make my way onto the field late in the second quarter, to the cheers of all the saints fans, the occasion gets to me and I completely lose it.
And then knowing me, as I was running around in the back pocket probably on someone a million times better than me... i.e roughhead the ball would com towards me, I'd get really anxious start running at the ball, knowing my opponent was right behind me and then trip over my own feet or something. Or even worse, have the ball hit me in the face only to be cleaned up by someone like... Fev.

eh. We can dream.. but in reality I'd be no good at football.
Ever.

And to cap it all off... I get a rousing sympathetic applause from the fans and the team a la ben mcevoy. ;)

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
Saintgaz
Club Player

I've thought/dreamt about this far too much actually (ask my wife). So great post.

It's the GF, I'm in the crowd watching when someone from the Saints comes over and says someone's hurt themselves in the warmup and can't play. There's no one else available so you look like the sort who could give us something.
So I play the game at FF. Kick ten goals and the best is the winning one and get chaired off by the guys and completely idolised for my one and only game.

As I say, it's something I've dreamt of often. Whilst Harv's was still playing I sort of held out this vain hope that it could happen. I'm a month younger than him so I thought it possible.
However his retirement has scuttled my dreams.
Though together we've played 383 games of Senior footy!

One day it's all got to be worth it.
Right????
Batnoe

To be honest with you..... and i am not gay....

As long as i was named and got to hang around the Saints in the showers after the game, i couldnt care if i didnt play a minute... Be honest... wouldnt they make you turn too?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:This isn't on subject but it reminds me of a game I once played.

Went up for the contest.

Knocked out cold.

Geez Grumpy !!

That sounds remarkably similar to how Matthew Hardy described a game he was involved in as written in his book SATURDAY AFTERNOON FEVER !!

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:I have actually played two games for St Kilda. One at Moorabbin and one at Victoria Park. Shows my age.

So thats 2 games between us then :wink:

As a kid remember going to Moorabbin really believing that It was just a matter of time before I was old enough to play for the saints...was absolutely convince it would happen :roll:

For years have had dreams of running around with the boys and I still have them at 49 :oops:

After playing for Sorrento under 18 ,s made the second cut for the Vic school boys when a guy with the name of Neil Pope was running the show..

After a couple of good games I couldn't get hold of the pill in the 3rd selection game and didn't hear from him again.

Dropped out of footy at 18 after being seduced by the Muso dream...was going to be famous there as well.... :oops:

I am the original coodabeen....but the dream of running out with my beloved sainters still gives me goosebumps...

Sigh :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
GrumpyOne

Eastern wrote:

Went up for the contest.

Knocked out cold.

Geez Grumpy !!

That sounds remarkably similar to how Matthew Hardy described a game he was involved in as written in his book SATURDAY AFTERNOON FEVER !!
Mine was true though.

And I've still got the bend in my nose as a result of the collision. :lol:

I've got that book somewhere. I'll have to check.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Went up for the contest.

Knocked out cold.

No votes that week hey.Good fun waking up after the game isnt it

hotdish
Club Player

Great thread!

I would play the 2004 Prelim v Port Adelaide at AAMI stadium. I would come on after Gehrig has returned to the field after kicking his 100th and we have a sizeable lead...

I would then proceed to take Gavin Wanganeen out, who kicked two dagger goals to win PA the game...I would then take my 15 week suspension with pride, missing the GF and our premiership!!!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

im lucky enought to have helped the club on perth visits and i can tell you the warm up looks like it would kill the average human never mind the game . as for the showers with the boys ... ill pass .
i was never a good footy player so i get my kicks out of being part of the team by volinteering to help out during the perth games the last one against Freo i was lucky enough to be in the rooms while the boys sang the song and i can tell you its up there with my wedding day as the most memorable moments of my life i litterally had goosebumps then having the job of collecting the boys gerseys after the game really capped it off holding the #35 in my own hands (even with the sweat drenching it) it was magical ... cant wait to help out again next time !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/