Phantom Draft - Herald Sun Forum

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Megamaguire
Club Player

Phantom Draft - Herald Sun Forum

I just googled 'Phantom Draft 2008' and got the following from the Herald Sun SuperFooty Fan Forum...

This is Dave's Phantom Draft. Dave is a Pie man and has Yarran going to us @ P.13 There is also a sainter & tiger responding to Dave's top 20.

This is my first go at a phantom draft, only doing the top 20. Don't forget things can change pretty quick in trade week, so this is just a rough idea to start with.
1. Melbourne- Daniel Rich. Best kid in the draft. Melbourne would be crazy to let him get past them.
2. West Coast- Nicolas Natanui. 2nd best kid, WCE need a back up for Cox.
3. Fremantle- Jack Watts. Freo need a nother tall forward to help Pavlich. Best one in draft.
4. Port Adel.- Hamish Hartlett. Midfielder/forward is a SA. boy and they wanted Didak, so this kid could fit in well.
5. Essendon- Jack Ziebell. Bombers need midfielders more than talls, Ziebell is a good fit.
6. Carlton- Michael Hurley. Tall backman that the Blues need. Best tall back in draft. AA under 18 fullback.
7. Brisbane- Jordan Lisle. Key position player, can play forward or back, was AA under 18 CHB.
8. Richmond- Tyrone Vickery. 2nd best Ruck in the draft, Tigers need a ruckman more than a tall forward, I think.
9. North- Shaun McKernan. Key forward/ruck, can replace Thompson.
10. Adelaide- Lewis Johnston. SA. boy who was AA under 18 CHF, but might fit into the Crows back line as well.
11. Collingwood- Mitch Robinson. Tall,muture ball magnet. Just what we need and could play next year.
12. Swans- Steele Sidebottom. Hard at it midfielder/defender, would learn a lot under Kirk and co and later replace Kirk.
13. St.Kilda- Chris Yarran. Medium forward who kicks goals and can take a mark on the lead. Good fit with Riewoldt/Kosi/Milne. :?
14. Bulldogs- Ayce Cordy. Father/Son pick, Word is that the Swans will take him at 12 if Bulldogs pass on him.
15. Geelong- Jackson Trengrove. Skinny tall, who could replace Harley/Scarlett in a few years.
16. Hawthorn- Sam Blease. Fast midfielder with a good kick. If there's no really good key backs left, then Hawks should go for Blease.
17. Melbourne- Aaron Cornelius. Tall forwards. The Dees need them.
18. West Coast- Tom Swift. Wa. boy who has had injuries, but has also been compared to J Selwood. WCE will grab him if they miss out on Rich at 2.
19. Melbourne- David Zaharakis. Fast midfielder who wins plenty of the ball, would fit the Dees midfield.
20.West coast- Matthew DeBoer. Another ball magnet the Eagles will go after if they don't get Rich.
So what do you think? Can you do any better at this stage?
Feel free to add to Dave's view of the draft..

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Thats the first phantom draft I've seen that has Rich going at #1 to Melbourne and Watts at #3..

:shock:

Sam23
SS Life Member

Watts guaranteed to go to Melbourne

Goddard.
bethb7
Club Player

Steel Sidebottom is coming to us!! I hope he does anyway :shock:

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
TassieJones
Club Player

Blease would be a far better pick for us than Yarran I reckon

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

TassieJones wrote:Blease would be a far better pick for us than Yarran I reckon
Agree...Ash Smith or that lad from South Australia Schoenmakers would be excellent 2nd round picks to fill that key defensive void...

The Saints are coming!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I don't agree with the top three at all. I think Watts is a lock for the top spot. Rich/Nat will probably go at #2/#3 in some order. I'd also be surprised to see Port and Essendon pass on Hurley. Port and Adelaide are too smart to pick local boys just because they're local. Witness Adelaide passing on Ebert for Dangerfield last year and Port taking Boak in 06.

Jordan Lisle at number 7 is a stinker. It's way too early for him at a team that already has a number of similar type players. I think North will go for mid help this year - absolutely no way Sidebottom gets past that pick IMO. Robinson's a ball magnet, but he doesn't have the greatest skills. I reckon Collingwood will go for Someone like Stephen Hill there.

Yarran to St. Kilda seems unlikely to me. He just doesn't fit the mould of players we like to draft. If the board fell that way, I'd be tempted to go for Swift or Trengove. Maybe even Blease or Heyne. I don't think Trengove will end up at Geelong and I'm sure somebody will take the chance on Swift before we get out of the first round.

And those are my thoughts. Feel free to save them and use them against me when it turns out I'm completely wrong.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i know for a fact the saints were looking at a few WA boys last time they were here but i cant say who or where .... as for yarran he would be a decent pick up definatly would be rerady in his first year he has got a bit of mongrel in him as well but unsure if he would go as early as 13

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
Agree...Ash Smith or that lad from South Australia Schoenmakers would be excellent 2nd round picks to fill that key defensive void...
Would be very happy with Schoenmakers!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:
Would be very happy with Schoenmakers!
i can imagine the nick names now ........

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i know for a fact the saints were looking at a few WA boys last time they were here but i cant say who or where .... as for yarran he would be a decent pick up definatly would be rerady in his first year he has got a bit of mongrel in him as well but unsure if he would go as early as 13
De Boer?

The Saints are coming!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: definatly would be rerady in his first year he has got a bit of mongrel in him
Have heard this before... :roll:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Carlton will be hoping for Sam Blease to fall through to their 2nd pick. There are stories that Brett Ratten really liked what he saw in a 15yo Blease when he was coaching Norwood a few yrs ago !!

BradWA
Club Player

Take

Take Yarran is BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Mistake if we do not worth a first round pick

I am a member of Swans and see most games every year

He would have to be the Laziest player in the Swans camp

Michell Walters is the BEST player at Swans Colts
Tough
Suberb Skills
Pace
Mongrel
Plays in the Centre

Winmar Number 2

The Moderator Nazi,s strike again, Oh forgot, shyt im not in the purple circle.
Winmarvellous
Club Player

I reckon take him. Knows where the goals are and could be dangerous at the feet of Roo (don't know about Kosi).

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i know for a fact the saints were looking at a few WA boys last time they were here but i cant say who or where .... as for yarran he would be a decent pick up definatly would be rerady in his first year he has got a bit of mongrel in him as well but unsure if he would go as early as 13
De Boer?
its no secrect that most clubs have been keeping an eye on him

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote: definatly would be rerady in his first year he has got a bit of mongrel in him
Have heard this before... :roll:
true but going by his body size he would be ready in the first year unlike bigMac who was never going to be a big impact in his first year

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Take

BradWA wrote:Take Yarran is BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Mistake if we do not worth a first round pick

I am a member of Swans and see most games every year

He would have to be the Laziest player in the Swans camp
same could of been said about Rioli last year and Palmer also was critisied for being lazy . some players when put under the pump by an AFL standard Training program change habbits quiet quickly theres a Huge gap from WAFL to AFL in terms of bringing the best out of players

iceman
Club Player

i wouldn't be surprised if Melbourne get a bit worried about what they've seen happen with the Hawthorn/Franklin etc. draft and go for Natanui through fear of what he may be. Also for Marketing etc. purposes. Now i don't watch or pa too much attention to Under 18 football at all, but that's my gut feeling even if Melbourne don't necessarily want to do it.

Saints94
SS Life Member

As if we would go for a forward we need a key back or speed

vacuous space
SS Life Member

iceman wrote:i wouldn't be surprised if Melbourne get a bit worried about what they've seen happen with the Hawthorn/Franklin etc. draft and go for Natanui through fear of what he may be.
Watts is more like Franklin than Nat is. He's big, strong, athletic and unlike Franlkin is a long, accurate kick for goal. It's very reasonable to think that Watts could kick 80-100 goals in a decent team once he's matured. Nat reminds me a lot more of Jeff White (when he was good) than Franklin.

Lynch Beast
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
iceman wrote:i wouldn't be surprised if Melbourne get a bit worried about what they've seen happen with the Hawthorn/Franklin etc. draft and go for Natanui through fear of what he may be.
Watts is more like Franklin than Nat is. He's big, strong, athletic and unlike Franlkin is a long, accurate kick for goal. It's very reasonable to think that Watts could kick 80-100 goals in a decent team once he's matured. Nat reminds me a lot more of Jeff White (when he was good) than Franklin.
Watts is a real Riewoldt type of forward, terrible body on body but his contested marking & athletic qualities are awesome for a 196cm player. Pretty safe bet for a long term forward, not much x-factor about him and is more of the consistently good player (Riewoldt/Pavlich type consistency)

Nic Naitanui defines X-Factor - 201cm & 94kg's of raw aggression, enthusiasm and natural talent. Give him a good development coach in the right environment and you are looking at a player that could be listed as one of the all time greats of the game.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Watts is a real Riewoldt type of forward, terrible body on body but his contested marking & athletic qualities are awesome for a 196cm player. Pretty safe bet for a long term forward, not much x-factor about him and is more of the consistently good player (Riewoldt/Pavlich type consistency)

Nic Naitanui defines X-Factor - 201cm & 94kg's of raw aggression, enthusiasm and natural talent. Give him a good development coach in the right environment and you are looking at a player that could be listed as one of the all time greats of the game.

Of course your not saying because WCE are likely to get him.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Lynch Beast wrote:Watts is a real Riewoldt type of forward, terrible body on body but his contested marking & athletic qualities are awesome for a 196cm player. Pretty safe bet for a long term forward, not much x-factor about him and is more of the consistently good player (Riewoldt/Pavlich type consistency)

You're selling Watts more than a little bit short. He's got a big, strong body and he uses it well. He's just as much of an athletic freak as Nat is. He put up elite midfield type numbers in his sprint and agility tests. He's great on the lead, has sure hands and is an accurate kick for goal. He's also great at ground level, supports teammates and pressures opposing defenders. If there's some X-factor he doesn't have, then I'd like to know what it is, because he's the complete package. There's a reason he's going up the top of a loaded draft.