Thoughts on Farren Ray

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Thoughts on Farren Ray

Thought this deserved a separate thread... 4get the actual deal itself (was it good or bad)

what do we think of him as a player. Here's something that a Doggie supporter posted on bigfooty:

This is what I've posted on St.Kilda's board.

I've been a fan of Ray for a while and reckon he'll really kick on with a change of club. He was looking good this pre-season but sustained an injury at the wrong time and that ruined his season.

"For those interested, he is a light winger with decent pace and evasive ability, a very good overhead mark and contrary to popular opinion, heart. He has been known to back into marking contests, and has also played tagging roles to varying effect. Often gets the ball in the right spots, but his disposal and decision-making can be suspect at times.

Is what you would call an 80 metre player, run it 30 and kick it 50. Is very fit and is equally skilled on both feet. Bulldogs supporters have been dissapointed by his disposal in the past, running into goal from 50 will see him convert about 20% of the time, so he is frustrating in a sense and thus became the Bigfooty's boards whipping boy (Something I don't entirely agree with because he does do some good stuff).

Really its a good trade, you just downgrade a pick while we effectively trade him by himself for pick 31, as we won't be using more than 3 picks in the draft. A win-win."

S.A Saint
Club Player

went on the dogs website it say that he put on 3 or 4 kilos during the off season...which is pretty good...but then he got injured....if he can put on that much this pre season that would be great because he does look the be on the light side...he is not a bad player overall and can run and break the lines....he is not a soft player as some people have said...would be a definite upgrade of fiora birss and co....he will get a good in our starting 18 infront of jones eddy and mini...

JeffDunne

Re: Thoughts on Farren Ray

skeptic wrote:Bulldogs supporters have been dissapointed by his disposal in the past, running into goal from 50 will see him convert about 20% of the time,
Sounds like just the player we need. :?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

He has definite potential, I would call him a similar player to Xavier, however Xavier's best is a bit higher IMO...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

welcome to the Saints Farren
anyone got some info on the new kid :)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

If POTENTIAL is a dirty word then Farren is very DIRTY.

I've watched some great games from Farren i've also watched some shockers.

At 1st was a bit angry we got him but now i'm all aboard the Farren train.

Can kick running goals from 50

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Compliments of the Phanton Draft by Matt Burgan way back in 2003 -

4. Western Bulldogs – Farren Ray
(Peel Thunder) 29 March 1986, 183.1cm, 74.5

With the Bulldogs netting several much-needed talls during the exchange period, the Dogs have positioned themselves beautifully to snare some of the best available talent in the National AFL Draft with its first two selections at No.1 and No.4. And with Cooney already claimed, the Bulldogs will also be able to boast about landing one of the most exciting young guns in the country – Farren Ray. The dynamic inside midfielder has already been likened to a young Simon Black, while there are similarities to the great Robert Flower with his creativity and ability to elude opponents in the air or on the ground. A member of the AIS/AFL academy in 2003, Ray was All-Australian and named Western Australia’s most valuable player after this year’s National AFL under 18 championships. He also had an outstanding National AFL Draft camp, where he recorded the best beep time of 15.03, while he was in the top 10 per cent for the 3-km time-trial. He should develop into something special at AFL level.

Likened to Simon Black and described as an Inside Midfielder! - Interesting given his current assessments.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thoughts on Farren Ray

JeffDunne wrote:
skeptic wrote:Bulldogs supporters have been dissapointed by his disposal in the past, running into goal from 50 will see him convert about 20% of the time,
Sounds like just the player we need. :?
Should fit nicely...put him in our forward line :shock:

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Compliments of the Phanton Draft by Matt Burgan way back in 2003 -

4. Western Bulldogs – Farren Ray
(Peel Thunder) 29 March 1986, 183.1cm, 74.5

With the Bulldogs netting several much-needed talls during the exchange period, the Dogs have positioned themselves beautifully to snare some of the best available talent in the National AFL Draft with its first two selections at No.1 and No.4. And with Cooney already claimed, the Bulldogs will also be able to boast about landing one of the most exciting young guns in the country – Farren Ray. The dynamic inside midfielder has already been likened to a young Simon Black, while there are similarities to the great Robert Flower with his creativity and ability to elude opponents in the air or on the ground. A member of the AIS/AFL academy in 2003, Ray was All-Australian and named Western Australia’s most valuable player after this year’s National AFL under 18 championships. He also had an outstanding National AFL Draft camp, where he recorded the best beep time of 15.03, while he was in the top 10 per cent for the 3-km time-trial. He should develop into something special at AFL level.

Likened to Simon Black and described as an Inside Midfielder! - Interesting given his current assessments.

Maybe a inside mid at under 18 level but clearly a outside mid playing with the big boys.

It's his run and carry that i'm looking forward to watching

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Also -

Same draft as Raph Clarke - Both taking time to develop!

Saint Mik
Club Player

Just Utubed Farren Ray, Roo has a few words to say about him :lol:

[TRANSLATED] Reiwoldt tells Ray
Rooey gives Farren Ray a talking to on the hafl time siren ...

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:Just Utubed Farren Ray, Roo has a few words to say about him :lol:

Am at work til 9 tonight... what was the incident?

sainters man
Club Player

He is getting a bagging on big footy, so i hope he proves all them "footy experts :roll: " wrong

He has age on his side and is quick and we got a pick back aswell! so nice trade!

Legendary
Club Player

At his best, a terrific quick and hard running outside midfielder who can find the footy and kick a goal.

Experienced and good enough to play 100 games of AFL footy for the Saints, plus adds the outside pace and skill that our midfield is lacking.

Proven talent and ability, when you might draft a dud with pick #31.

Great trade Saints.

Saint Mik
Club Player

n1ck wrote:
Saint Mik wrote:Just Utubed Farren Ray, Roo has a few words to say about him :lol:

Am at work til 9 tonight... what was the incident?
Ray fumbles the ball just before the siren went Rooey comes in and tells him how shyte he is, I think Lenny come through with a bump after that, Rooey shakes his head as he takes his mouth gaurd out and runs back to his team mates for the half time break. :lol:

Now team mates Rooey had better show him how its done :wink:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I watch a lot of the Dogs due to family commitments (Mum's side...) and would have seen close to half of Ray's games.

What do I think?

Well, there are some aspects to his game I don't mind. He has some pace which can get him out of trouble. But he's not a jet. It's not like Lovett's pace, that's for sure. He doesn't mind some run and carry, though which is good. He's averaged 19.2 touches this season, so he can clearly get his hands on the pill. That's the good...

Now the rest.

He has poor upper body strength and is frequently buffeted off the ball. He panics under pressure and makes bad decisions; often costly ones which cause the oppostion team to lift (eg: caught holding the ball, fumbles, wobbly legs and hospital handballs).

He's not a finals player. Football is evolving into a tough, hard accountable game where outside midfielders are slowly being phased out. Now, because of rotations, everyone needs to be in-and-under to a point. Farren is not, but this is more due to his body shape rather than him mentally freezing around packs.

Unfortunately the comparisions with Fiora are fair. I actually prefer Fiora's body shape - robust enough - but mentally he must believe he has the body of a twig. Might be the opposite with Farren, so if he could add some bulk to his frame - ala Montagna - there is hope.

We needed an extra midfield runner, so we've got one. Watch that line get trotted out by RL and the club over the next weeks and months.

We should have tried much harder for Andrew Lovett. He was the gem of this trade period and while his contract was hefty, he is an intelligent runner with blistering pace. His run from the backline would have provided perfect cover for Gram, Goddard and Fisher to coast forward when necessary. We could have been the league's best rebounders, but I think Fisher will evolve into a KPP sooner rather than later as we groom Max's replacement.

So, as for the value of the deal, it's not ideal, but it's not terrible. It's ok. There won't be many gems who slip to 48, but there will be some real steals from 20-35 predicted to go higher.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we now have 47 and 48? I look at that and think we really, really should have moved that pick on for Harris or Boyle.

I certainly wish Farren all the best in his time at the club. He certainly showed something at junior level which suggests he can seriously play. Hopefully we provide him with a platform to find that inner ability.

If he can bulk up over summer and improve his disposal, we might have a player.

Maybe, hopefully. An outside chance to make it. Don't hold your breath - he is a very frustrating player to watch and if he gets the fumbles early, the early mail is spot on...he'll be a whipping boy for sure.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

can anyone comment on what role Ross Lyon played in this trade ie did he suggest it ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Zed wrote:can anyone comment on what role Ross Lyon played in this trade ie did he suggest it ?
I agree. And why didn't he consult this forum before making a decision?? :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintwill66
Club Player

I am more than happy with the selection of Farren Ray at relatively little cost. His senior experience is a distinct advantage for a team that has the potential with its current list to challenge for a premiership in the next 2 to 3 years. I felt it was important for St Kilda to get hold of an experienced midfielder to take the place of Robert Harvey, and Farren Ray's youth and obvious qualities fit the bill.

You would expect that St Kilda will now go for tall youngsters in the main draft - my first choice is Jordan Roughead, as I've posted elsewhere.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:He also had an outstanding National AFL Draft camp, where he recorded the best beep time of 15.03
That is pretty good considering the best recorded from this years draft camp was 14.6

Batnoe

LTN16 wrote:
Spinner wrote:He also had an outstanding National AFL Draft camp, where he recorded the best beep time of 15.03
That is pretty good considering the best recorded from this years draft camp was 14.6
if i remember correctly Jarrad McVeigh was the record holder?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
RL was quoted as saying he had a massive tank.

JeffDunne

fingers wrote:RL was quoted as saying he had a massive tank.
Sounds like he'd have been perfect for Carlton. :wink:

killa_gram
Club Player

Happy with him. He gives us the pace we so desperately need and IMO he can play a bit. Nowhere near the muppet like Fizz is.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
Legendary
Club Player

Averaged 20 disposals and 2-3 tackles a game for the past couple of years .... they are good numbers, and he is only 22, so he has room for improvement.

Jason Blake has shown us that you can never be too old to improve drastically as a footballer :shock: