butterss is a turkey, says archie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

butterss is a turkey, says archie

sunday herald sun

by JACKIE EPSTEIN

FORMER St Kilda president Rod Butterss has slammed the club and its board saying they have no direction and no plan for the future.

Ousted by Greg Westaway's Footy First ticket, Butterss also said the club would struggle to recruit Ben Cousins because there was no strategy in place.

"Ben's a quality player, but you've got to have a plan, a strategy," he said.

"One thing I know about football and footy clubs is you must have a plan, a clearly identifiable plan of how you're going to achieve your goals."

"We've always had a position on recruiting that was very simple. Will the person you're about to recruit play in our next premiership side."

"If you genuinely believe that he is then you recruit him. If you think you're far off, then you're better off going with kids. Having said that I don't know what their plan is."

Butterss said the board contained no one with business experience and was led by an "ordinary performer" in Westaway.

He labelled chief executive Archie Fraser "a goose" and blasted the club's move to Frankston.

"I think it's a terrible decision. How many players do you know live in Frankston or want to live in Frankston or desire to? They all live around bayside in Elwood, Middle Park, Albert Park. That's where they want to be. But that's Archie. He'd pick a fight with a blowfly. He's a goose."
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

ST KILDA president Greg Westaway yesterday hit back at predecessor Rod Butterss, saying the former club boss had left the Saints with "a legacy of liabilities and no strategic plan". Westaway was responding to a scathing attack by Butterss at the weekend when he said the Saints had no direction or plan for the future.

Westaway called his predecessor "old news" and "juvenile" and said he needed to "grow up".

Chief executive Archie Fraser, who was appointed by Butterss in 2006, said the former president had been overwhelmingly ousted by Saints members 9000 votes to 135 a year ago.

"I doubt even his own family voted for him with such a dismal result," Fraser said yesterday.

In an interview with the Sunday Herald Sun, Butterss said the Westaway-Fraser administration had no strategy.

He called Westaway "an ordinary performer" and Fraser "a goose" who "would pick a fight with a blowfly".

"There's nobody on the board that's ever achieved anything in business," said Butterss, claiming only one of this year's board had their own business.

Westaway said the members had wanted change and "voted with their feet".

"We've made significant progress but we still have a long way to go," he said.

Westaway said the attacks on his board's credibility were laughable.

"There are actually five board members who have owned their own incredibly successful businesses. The fact that Rod said only one, only further hits at his credibility. Not that there is much more of that left.

"If I could say one thing to Rod it would be, 'You've had your go, now move on and do it with grace, please'. You said you would do it with grace . . . and I have to say its been anything but graceful."

Butterss claimed the club's finances would reveal incompetence, the decision to make Frankston its base was "terrible", and it had no idea of how to handle the potential recruiting of Ben Cousins.

Fraser said moving to Frankston was a long-term deal to "cement an ownership of the Bayside region".

"Staying at Moorabbin was not an option," Fraser said.

"We were left with a legacy of bad relationships and economically it couldn't work. Our deal at Frankston is the best financial deal in the competition and our players and members are looking forward to us finally having the elite facilities they deserve.

He (Butterss) is obviously still bitter and twisted but for the sake of the football club he really needs to get over it. If I'm being called a goose by a turkey I'll take it as a compliment."

Fraser said the bickering was not good for the club.

"The more aligned a football club is with past administration, I think the better it is for everyone," he said.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 22 Oct 2008 4:31pm, edited 11 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

some of what he says rings true - i must admit.

but i think butterss hired arche didnt he?

pot calling the kettle black. i think they are both gooses (geese).

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Frankston = Stupid idea.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Re: archie a goose, says butterss

bigcarl wrote:sunday herald sun

by JACKIE EPSTEIN

FORMER St Kilda president Rod Butterss has slammed the club and its board saying they have no direction and no plan for the future.

Ousted by Greg Westaway's Footy First ticket, Butterss also said the club would struggle to recruit Ben Cousins because there was no strategy in place.

"Ben's a quality player, but you've got to have a plan, a strategy," he said.

"One thing I know about football and footy clubs is you must have a plan, a clearly identifiable plan of how you're going to achieve your goals."

"We've always had a position on recruiting that was very simple. Will the person you're about to recruit play in our next premiership side."

"If you genuinely believe that he is then you recruit him. If you think you're far off, then you're better off going with kids. Having said that I don't know what their plan is."

Butterss said the board contained no one with business experience and was led by an "ordinary performer" in Westaway.

He labelled chief executive Archie Fraser "a goose" and blasted the club's move to Frankston.

"I think it's a terrible decision. How many players do you know live in Frankston or want to live in Frankston or desire to? They all live around bayside in Elwood, Middle Park, Albert Park. That's where they want to be. But that's Archie. He'd pick a fight with a blowfly. He's a goose."
Well bugger me. How many premierships was Butterss involved in???
Must have been sleeping all this time

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Normally I would like to see the whole article and the context of the reported quote, but if I accept this quote on face value, then the only person who is a goose is RB for saying anything.
Re AF,
he was the President whose Board hired him
he was the President whose Board AF reported to

and if he is/was such a goose then
he was the President whose Board should have fired him.

Unless he is now saying that AF was o.k. during his tenure and is only no good under the new Board?

All in all it would seem very strange comments to make, on the face of it.

Does anybody know why he is in an article in The Sunday Herald Sun?
What is the context of the article?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Does anybody know why he is in an article in The Sunday Herald Sun?
What is the context of the article?
they must have asked him about cousins by the looks of it. i can't find the link, just typed that bit in out of my early edition.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

lost a lot of respect for Rod who is clearly showing hes a tool.

go away rod and taked your gf grant.

wankers.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:go away rod and take your gf grant
don't tell me they're an item again. :roll: wouldn't put it past them.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 19 Oct 2008 12:44am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: archie a goose, says butterss

bigcarl wrote:Ousted by Greg Westaway's Footy First ticket, Butterss also said the club would struggle to recruit Ben Cousins because there was no strategy in place.
didn't nixon say st kilda is the club who has a detailed plan on how to help and mentor cousins?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Thats what i thought aswell

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
ashjam
Club Player

Some of Rod's comments are a bit lopsided.

I mean surely when we recruited Fergus Watts, Mark McGough and Cain Ackland that Rod didn't answer in the affirmative that they would be in our next Premiership side!!

One thing is for certain & Rod is 100% correct.

Archie Fraser is a an 'absolute goose'.

Not sure why we have to put up with having by far the worst CEO in the competition.

Archie tried to hawk himself to Melbourne and Gold Coast and wasn't even in an iota of getting close to landing those jobs.

He is an absolute spastic, and arguably one of the worst things that has ever stepped foot into our Footy club in my time supporting the Saints.

Get rid of him Westaway, and get serious about having the best people in significant roles in our club...NOT THE WORST!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:lost a lot of respect for Rod who is clearly showing hes a tool.
Wouldn't lend you the ferrari this weekend, eh Teffers?

JeffDunne

I love the smell of vindication on a Sunday morning.

Someone I think owes me an apology too.

To quote the "great" man himself :

You've had your go. Now move on and do it with grace, please. You said you'd do it with grace at your press conference and I have to say it's been nothing (sic) but graceful.

JeffDunne

Re: archie is a goose, says butterss

Rod SoftAs wrote:"Ben's a quality player, but you've got to have a plan, a strategy," he said.

. . .

"Having said that I don't know what their plan is."
:shock:

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: archie is a goose, says butterss

bigcarl wrote:Butterss said the board contained no one with business experience and was led by an "ordinary performer" in Westaway.
Huh hasn't this board got about a 100 times more business experience than the last?
bigcarl wrote:He labelled chief executive Archie Fraser "a goose" and blasted the club's move to Frankston.
He hired him

bigcarl wrote:"One thing I know about football and footy clubs is you must have a plan, a clearly identifiable plan of how you're going to achieve your goals."
i am sure they do
bigcarl wrote:"I think it's a terrible decision. How many players do you know live in Frankston or want to live in Frankston or desire to? They all live around bayside in Elwood, Middle Park, Albert Park. That's where they want to be. But that's Archie. He'd pick a fight with a blowfly. He's a goose."
And they still will live in those areas do all of Hawthorn live at Waverly, this is just a big bunch of sour grapes from Butters, he's still not over getting kicked out on his arse.

St Igmata
Club Player

Like the Terminator.
He won't die.

markp
Saintsational Legend

What sort of line is he trying to push now.....?

How many people work in the same suburb as they live anyway?

We need a plan do we mate?

Here's a plan...

F*** off.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

markp wrote:What sort of line is he trying to push now.....?

How many people work in the same suburb as they live anyway?

We need a plan do we mate?

Here's a plan...

F*** off.
HEAR HEAR!!!

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I think someone has a bit of white line fever.

Witnessed.

STFU. You are the goose RB. An absolute moronic, discredited goose.
Last edited by SENsei on Sun 19 Oct 2008 8:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
hotdish
Club Player

Why have we gone from a mill profit to a loss Rod?

Because our club is FINALLY investing in the best fitness and rehabilitation staff in the business!!!

All explained here - http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 93754.html

FYI - the footy first board - http://stkildafootyfirst.com/board.html

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

GT and RB did a good thing for st kilda at the time.

i think both have gone of the rails in the last couple of years.

as for westaway didn't he build a 200 m transport and logistics business as well? that would be a fair amount of business accumen to achieve that.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Like are RB has done and a few on here, we love to eat our own.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

lol - RB like the other bloke is yesterdays man.

Saw him hanging about with Waldron the other day. Mabye he might become CEO of the Storm :shock:

So there is no plan to get Cousins hey Rod? How in gods name would you know?

RB is gone. Move on. (Thats to you Roddy boy).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
happy feet
Club Player

RB

It is perplexing to see this story in the media. Must be quiet for news in Melbourne at present. A couple of points worth noting...

If any of you have had any experience in dealing with the media, then you know how often what you say gets printed in an entirely different context.

Rod was president for five years? Surely he should have figured out the media in his time. For what its worth I think Rod did a good job for us at the time of his presidency, but his time os over. Let someone else have a go, and more importantly, let go Rod. Sure, remain a proud and passionate supporter, but don't talk to the media.

Live our motto.

To the top
SS Life Member

Whilst some of the quotations attributed to Butterrs are a little crass and I know nothing of Fraser's positions or abilities, they do mirror concerns I have.

The response concentration is on recruiting - which always involves speculative guess work including because someone traded from another club is deemed better than what is on offer in the Draft.

My concern comes back to financial performance - and particularly in the current climate which may well persist for a couple of years and will sort out the Wheat from the Chaff.

We are unsettled in regards accomodation and there is expense attaching to re-location plus we have swung from a Profit of $1M to a loss of $400,000- even allowing for the prize money from the pre-season cup and finals appearances.

Exactly why? A funds movement analysis will shed light. Where did we get it from and where did it go type stuff. No doubt these issues are monitored on a week by week basis by the Club's Administration.

I will be very interested to see the revenue comparisons, including because attracting revenue will become much more difficult over the ensuing period.

And you need revenue before you can spend.

Debt and footy clubs do not go together.

Look at Carlton, look at Geelong, look at Collingwood. And others.

There are concerns and Butterss has commented on these.

If our revenue streams come under pressure, what is the profile of Westaway and his Board to re-dress the situation, or even contribute al-la Pratt (albeit with our money!)?

The tough questions need to be asked now and Butters addresses those questions, albeit with some crass observations re the socio-economic circumstances of certain jurisdictions!