Cousins faces not playing again!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainter09

Cousins faces not playing again!!!!

Apparently the Lions just released a statement that said they have completely ruled out signing Cousins at either the National or Pre Season Draft!!!!

Looks like the end of the road for Benny boy. Sad really.

BUT...... it makes you wonder if our Board had some information that we didn't to help them make the decision that 15 other clubs have now also made?????????

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't make me wonder at all.

I am convinced they did.

Bad luck Ben - WAFL for you.

AFL gets their vindivtive wish.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ace
Saintsational Legend

THE BRISBANE Lions have announced they will not recruit fallen AFL star Ben Cousins.

The Lions were the last club to decide whether they would sign the 2005 Brownlow Medallist, who registered for the national draft on Wednesday.

"The Brisbane Lions wish to confirm that they are no longer considering recruiting Ben Cousins," the club said in a statement.

"This means the club will not pursue Ben Cousins at the AFL pre-season draft on December 16 or at Saturday's AFL national draft as already advised."

Cousins is trying to make a comeback after the league de-registered him a year ago for bringing the game into disrepute.

Brisbane were the last club yet to officially declare their hand on the former West Coast captain.

St Kilda surprisingly decided on Tuesday night not to recruit Cousins.

The only way Cousins will now return to the AFL next year is if a club belatedly decides to call his name in the national or pre-season draft.

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabi ... wsId=70397

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
sainter09

Something is clearly rotten in the state of Denmark...

ace
Saintsational Legend

DAYS after Ben Cousins was cleared to return to football, the former West Coast captain flew to Melbourne for the funeral of a convicted drug trafficker.

John Anthony Giannarelli was buried in Melbourne Cemetery eight days ago, just 48 hours after Cousins' 12-month exile from football for bringing the game into disrepute was brought to an end, Perthnow reports.

Cousins is understood to have informed St Kilda of the reason for his funeral visit and even conceded to people around him that it might harm his case for a second chance in the game.

The Saints were then his strongest hope of a return, one of only two clubs known to be still debating the idea of overlooking his wayward final years with the Eagles that have been attributed to a drug addiction.

St Kilda decided last Tuesday night not to recruit the 30-year-old, leaving Brisbane as the one club with an admitted interest in the 2005 Brownlow medallist.

Giannarelli, at one time an employee of the Melbourne nightclub Heat, pleaded guilty in the Victorian County Court in July last year to importing a commercial quantity of drugs.

The court accepted that the then 44-year-old was terminally ill with mesothelioma and imposed a three-year suspended sentence and a $55,000 fine as punishment for his attempt to import 34,310 pseudoephedrine tablets from Malaysia in 2006.

The tablets were estimated to have a street value of $171,500.

His co-accused, Jon Vestic, pleaded guilty to aiding, abetting or procuring a marketable quantity of drugs and was sentenced to 12 months, with a non-parole period of six months.

Giannarelli was said to have been close to Cousins last year, a tough time for both men.

It was, conceivably, Cousins's last in the AFL. Cousins's manager, Ricky Nixon, was unavailable for comment last night.

Mick Gatto, a figure in Melbourne's gang war, was among those to publish a funeral notice for Giannarelli, offering "deepest and sincerest condolences''.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 77,00.html

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Former Eagle Karl Langdon summed it up best on his radio show this week: "Please, please please . . . we are over Ben," he said.

Yesterday, he was even more pointed when asked why AFL clubs were not interested in Cousins.

"I think it has a little bit to do with who he is still hanging around with, to be totally honest," he told the Herald Sun.

"Collingwood's investigations are what scared them off, and maybe for St Kilda it was pretty much the same. Unfortunately he hasn't severed ties with those people. It is the reason West Coast gave him the flick. They told him to stop hanging around those people, but he still does."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

NOW WE ALL KNOW WHY NO ONE WOULD TOUCH COUSINS - HE SIMPLY CAN NOT OR WILL NOT DUMP HIS CRIMINAL FRIENDS.

The games up Ben.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Jesus, I'd have gone to the funeral too if I knew him. And credit to Ben for telling us that.

But I suspect that once he was given a second chance, all bets would have been off.
Last edited by evertonfc on Fri 28 Nov 2008 8:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Mabye Gardiner did get rid of the dodgeys from his life while Big Bad Benny is just too much of a gangsta :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Mabye Gardiner did get rid of the dodgeys from his life while Big Bad Benny is just too much of a gangsta :roll: :roll:
And how would that suit the arguments of all the people calling for a board spill? :wink:

Now, had the club come out and stated that the reason was this... what legal implications would there be?

I notice that the filth never really stated their reasons.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Jesus, I'd have gone to the funeral too if I knew him. And credit to Ben for telling us that.

But I suspect that once he was given a second chance, all bets would have been off.
Sorry to repost, but mate, if you were in Ben's situation, trying to clear your name and get redrafted... surely you'd use some discretion.

Either he's getting the wrong advice, or he doesn't get it... or he doesn't give a stuff... or all 3.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
linz
Club Player

If I were BC and I really wanted to play again I would have:

1: Welcomed the Drug Tests. The more the better. I would also attend urine drug tests when they were requested.

2: I would have stated my aim of being a good role model to all young supporters and expounded the evils of taking drugs. By saying this the media would disappear within a heartbeat. Bit like dealing with Born again Christians. Like Gary Ablett :roll:

3: And I would make a really good effort to get off it. I wouldn't go to Crims funerals though. I may even book into rehab so that prospective clubs know that I am trying my darndest.

But alas Ben: sorry, shaving down to less than 1mm all around and avoiding media and not putting your face forward isn't a good look.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

So Ben's gonna be cast off into the real world with only his pretty face, a childish attitude and a few mil in his bank.
I'm pretty sure he'll find something else to do.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

duckduckduckgoose wrote:So Ben's gonna be cast off into the real world with only his pretty face, a childish attitude and a few mil in his bank.
I'm pretty sure he'll find something else to do.
Yep, Such is Life :lol:

undecided
Club Player

do u reckon he might start begging clubs for a second chance??????

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

SUCH IS LIFE.

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Doesn't make me wonder at all.

I am convinced they did.

This may be the exact reason why he didn't make the cut. They had to pass him to play for legal reasons (restraint of trade etc) but applied pressure to the clubs behind closed doors.

As a football fan I feel a bit robbed from watching a great footballer, no matter who he played for.

linz
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Doesn't make me wonder at all.

I am convinced they did.

This may be the exact reason why he didn't make the cut. They had to pass him to play for legal reasons (restraint of trade etc) but applied pressure to the clubs behind closed doors.

As a football fan I feel a bit robbed from watching a great footballer, no matter who he played for.
I thought Ricky Nixon was meant to be a good operator. So far he has done everything wrong. He has hidden Ben (when Ben needed to be out there). He has complained about Ben's conditional requirements for being re-admitted to the AFL (when he should have welcomed them).

But then, maybe Ben is still stoned and likely to be in the future and that has forced these so-called stupid management decisions. :?

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Richter
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:This may be the exact reason why he didn't make the cut. They had to pass him to play for legal reasons (restraint of trade etc) but applied pressure to the clubs behind closed doors.

100% correct. Such a waste......

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
ace
Saintsational Legend

The thing about having criminal friends is that 10, 20 years from now if he gets into trouble with the law he would be written up in the press as "former (insert club here) footballer Ben Cousins was ---------" .

The potential for him to do damage to a club's reputation exists for the remainder of his life but his benefit to a club is maybe only 3 years.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Shame - One of the best players in the modern era.......a bad note to finish on.....

Richter
SS Life Member

ace wrote:The potential for him to do damage to a club's reputation exists for the remainder of his life but his benefit to a club is maybe only 3 years.
Huh? The potential is for him to help a club (which could have been us) to a premiership.

That could conceivably have been what he was remembered for.

As it is..... well all 16 clubs have passed up on a modern day champ.

Albeit I've been peeved with the explanation given by our board..... it is clear that something ain't right and that he just isn't worth the risk. I doubt we'll ever know what the "smoking gun" is..... but be in doubt there must be one.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
matrix
Saintsational Legend

im over the whole cousins thing........
but it wont be long and the docco will be about and it'll all start again.

how many days left till the first bounce? :(

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

In the end the only person Ben Cousins can blame for his demise is Ben Cousins.

In all of this, he didn't show much remorse or acknowledgement of his mistakes, in fact he said very little.

Maybe he is still to convince himself that he has an addiction problem and believes he can breeze through life on his looks and ability.

For his sake, I hope he realises that there is much more to life than playing football and having a good time.

pluggernaut
Club Player

But gees, how good would life be if taht was all there was too it??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I guess there is still a chance that a club may just pick him up in the draft, stranger things have happened.

Well I wish him well, and hope that he continues the healing process and surrounds himself with a good support network. It really struck me yesterday that there is the possibility that he is getting to know himself all over again, and perhaps a lot of the cocky flamboyant character was in fact the result of his addictions? I know we have all judged the fact of his keeping a low profile, but he may not even know how to conduct himself in front of the camera's now and feels vulnerable? Truth is I don't know, but I will try to think the best...

I hope this will only be the end of chapter, and not the end of a story. I will certainly remember him as a remarkable footballer.