Milney makes a top ten

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Pilgram
Club Player

you'd love to see schneids become a hired gun up there aswell scoring two per game riewoldt with three or four kosi with a couple and gram or anyone else chipping in too. no wait, that was 2008.

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Mr Magic"][quote="plugger66"][quote="The Linton Street Flash"]Glaring omission -

ANDREW THOMPSON!!! - definitely worthy of a spot.[/quote]

Was he a rookie? I didnt think he was.[/quote]

Wasn't he picked up from teh amateurs after previously training (or being rokkied) by Footscray?[/quote]

The first rookie draft took place prior to the 1997 season.
Andrew Thompson was drafted at pick 62 in 1996 National draft (also prior to the 1997 season.)

Note: The upcoming pre season draft is known as the 2009 Pre Season Draft and the upcoming rookie draft is known as the 2009 Rookie Draft.
But the National draft a few weeks ago was the 2008 National Draft.
Did I mention that the AFL is run by Dimwit.

Thompson had been playing with St Kilda Reserves in the AFL Reserves competition prior to his drafting.
Playing in the AFL Reserves competition at that time was akin to being a Casey player this year or Sandringham player next year.
Senior and reserve players played together in the reserves competition but reserve players were not available for senior selection.

Milne was rookied by St Klida at pick 32 in the 2000 rookie draft prior to season 2000 having played with Essendon Reserves in the AFL Reserves competition.
Last edited by ace on Sun 14 Dec 2008 2:56pm, edited 3 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Pilgram
Club Player

:lol:

ace
Saintsational Legend

The first 2 rookie drafts attracted a lot of 'Not Utilised'.
But the last 10 rookie drafts contained 602 options with 511 players selected.
The most selected player remains "Not Utilised" 91 times in the 10 years.

Most often not utilised has been used by cash strapped clubs as means of saving money.
Although a rookie is paid $33,200 base pay which does not count against the total player payments cap, the real cost to employ a rookie is more like $100,000 according to a news report out of the Bulldogs.

Employment costs of clubs include a little under half a million dollars in payroll tax to the state government just for players and probably as much again for other staff. :shock: :shock: :shock:
State payroll tax is 5.05%. How else could the government employ Labor insiders to carry out so many reviews and prepare reports with pre determined conclusions. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Pilgram
Club Player

and then the goverment gives it all back in a process known only as 'looking like the good guys'.
either way i love the tiprat

TIP-RAT !

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Most often not utilised has been used by cash strapped clubs as means of saving money.
Although a rookie is paid $33,200 base pay which does not count against the total player payments cap, the real cost to employ a rookie is more like $100,000 according to a news report out of the Bulldogs.
Bulldogs have been very open over the last few year- or used as an excuse- the cost
apparetly there was a fundraiser held last Friday- according the eade- to gain funds for rookies-
the AFL paying for 2 :?: these days so all clubs Must/can have some.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:The first 2 rookie drafts attracted a lot of 'Not Utilised'.
But the last 10 rookie drafts contained 602 options with 511 players selected.
The most selected player remains "Not Utilised" 91 times in the 10 years.
This is a stupid conclusion. Dude, if there'd been four passes across the entire 10 rookie drafts then Not Utilised would still be higher than Luke Weller, who's been selected three times.
ace wrote:Most often not utilised has been used by cash strapped clubs as means of saving money.

Employment costs of clubs include a little under half a million dollars in payroll tax to the state government just for players and probably as much again for other staff. :shock: :shock: :shock:
State payroll tax is 5.05%.
Hmm. If state payroll tax is 5.05%, that suggests that the total wage cost of employing a rookie is $33,200 * 1.0505 = $34,876.60. This is a long way from your $100,000.

The total cost may be $100k, but that obviously has very little to do with payroll tax. You got a bias that you should be disclosing?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Good on them for giving the nod to Milne.

There are definately flaws to his game, and he doesn't play the "vogue" small forward style (i.e. fast paced tackling machine - never will as tackling's one of his flaws), but what he does, he does very well.

He also provided some bright spots in games during some dark times early in his Saints days.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford