Previous Management have put us here

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Previous Management have put us here

As i ponder the start of the 2009 season I was thinking back over the last 5 or so years and the opportunities missed by those in charge of the club. Not the ones we all talk about - Guerra's missed kick, Hall's punch, Hamill's injuries etc, I mean the ones which could have moved the StKilda FC into the top bracket of clubs in Victoria.

The club had a great opportunity during a boom time int he economy to establish a number of basis financially which would have carried forward. StKilda were the glammer club of the comp during end of 04, 05 and 06.

Decisions which have failed us as members and seen the club move backwards or tread water in a number of areas:
* StKilda do not have a block buster game. Geelong and StKilda seriously did not like each other. The coaches did not like each other. They were 2 teams young and on the rise, yet the opportunity to create a blockbuster rivalry was missed. Easter Thursday/ Easter Monday, Saturday of Queens Birthday , plenty of dates which could have been used. Hell it doesn't even need to be a date ala Rich v Ess now. Horse has bolted now, big money opportunity missed.
* Tasmania. Short sighted decision based purely around games results and game styles resulted in StKilda leaving Tasmania and leavign the gift revenue stream and membership to another club. Whether tis was based on the coahcesinability to playmore than 1 style, the opponents we played ( always struggle against Port) or poor management who knows, all we know now is Hawthorn get a heap of money from the Tas Government ( recession proof sponsor) and memberships at say$100 per head?
* Moorabin/Frankston/Seaford relocation. After sprooking for ages to members how the club was going to redevelop Moorabin and it was going to be fantastic etc, the whole thing falls over because proper due diligence wasn't done with council re poker machines. Councils are nothing more than groups of people who can be pressured into decisions if it helps their own cause. We will never know the whole story yet it mst have been quite a b*lls up. StKilda is now potentially to be in the last 2or 3 clubs to get state of the art facilities for their players, and this is at a location which is not easily accessible to some of the suporter base.
* payouts etc: Wasted money through litigation and settlements with GT again has seen hard earned members funds, which members want to see spent to make the team and club better , is used to again rectify a F*ck up by management.

The club has made a loss in 2008, ok allowing for write downs etc.

I really hope the new board etc learn from the past and grab opportunities with a long term veiw. The problem is now that we are no longer in economic boom times and while it will turn it appears to me the club off field is once again starting from a position it was 3 years ago. What a waste

jays
Club Player

i blame rod butters

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cannot wait for JB or B4E to read this. You could find as many faults with the current board if you look hard enough. To simple to just blame previous board. The best thing the last board did was make the club successful on and off the ground so they may have done a few things wrong but they certainly did that right.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Yeahy true Plugger66, but after I had high hopes initially, this board really does seem to be dragging its feet badly. Besides all the other issues mentioned already, where the bloody hell is our profile? We Do not hear from anyone hardly ever in the media. And YES, it is part of it and it is important!

What happened to the membership advertising campaigns?? I seem to recall saints adds being on TV very regularly in the 04- 06 era. Now, nada zip nuthin, SFA.

The level 2 SC fiasco is disgraceful and the entire board as a whole deserves to hang their heads in shame , its pissweak really. Besides the ones it actually effects, its hardly good PR for the rest of the members and , importantly potential members!!

As above, Moorabbin is a complete and sad disaster. Yeah yeah , previous admin, BUT Archie had more than onehand in all those shenanigans.

Footy First huh? Dare I say , BC?! Hmmm, maybe one has to say the jury is out on that one so far, but I have a terrible feeling. What would have that done for membership and PR?

Overall, I have to say im disappointed in this board. Are they ashamed of this club FFS? Get the hell out there and start screaming from the rooftops! Will ANYONE on day actually take the bull by the balls and really shake this club up?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

When i become a business man i will take over the club. :lol:

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
older saint
SS Life Member

Please do not see this as an endorsement of the current management, more a look back at what opportunities were not grabbed.

In this time we were a team that wonmore game sthan we lost but without a GF appearance, let alone a premiership you can not say we were successful, as all teams should play for 1st not 3rd

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Please do not see this as an endorsement of the current management, more a look back at what opportunities were not grabbed.

In this time we were a team that wonmore game sthan we lost but without a GF appearance, let alone a premiership you can not say we were successful, as all teams should play for 1st not 3rd
This is not 'rose coloured glasses' but maybe you should also list the things they achieved as well as the negatives.

IMHO they managed something that hadn't been done in many years prior, by succesive Boards - they wiped out the debt that was hanging like a noose aroiund the Club's neck.

That they managed to do it whilst also improving the on-field success is a credit to all involved. Maybe some/many will now disagree with the methods they used, but the results are undeniabe - no more debt to fund.
Financially we're better off than at any time since Lindsay Fox organized the 'scheme of arrangement' that artificially wiped out our debts.

Maybe, just maybe the previous Admin felt that the debt was a bigger issue than any of the ones you have raised.

Incidentaly the decision to move from Tasmania was a 'Football' recommendation based on teh fact that we had reduced the debt sufficiently to enable us not to take their money.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Yup all those losses were the previous admins fault :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Yup all those losses were the previous admins fault :roll:
Is that all you have for us on this topic?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
older saint wrote:Please do not see this as an endorsement of the current management, more a look back at what opportunities were not grabbed.

This is not 'rose coloured glasses' but maybe you should also list the things they achieved as well as the negatives.

IMHO they managed something that hadn't been done in many years prior, by succesive Boards - they wiped out the debt that was hanging like a noose aroiund the Club's neck.

That they managed to do it whilst also improving the on-field success is a credit to all involved. Maybe some/many will now disagree with the methods they used, but the results are undeniabe - no more debt to fund.
Financially we're better off than at any time since Lindsay Fox organized the 'scheme of arrangement' that artificially wiped out our debts.

Maybe, just maybe the previous Admin felt that the debt was a bigger issue than any of the ones you have raised.

Incidentaly the decision to move from Tasmania was a 'Football' recommendation based on teh fact that we had reduced the debt sufficiently to enable us not to take their money.
Agree

He took it too far and his obsession with the bottom line went a year or two too long, but without the Butterress adminstration's early prudence and budgeting...we may not have a side to follow right now. What he did from 2001-2004 was exactly what had to be done..make hard decisions to get the Club financially stable

After 2005..well..thats where slowly but surely the wheels started to fall off

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote: He took it too far and his obsession with the bottom line went a year or two too long, but without the Butterress adminstration's early prudence and budgeting...we may not have a side to follow right now. What he did from 2001-2004 was exactly what had to be done..make hard decisions to get the Club financially stable

About the best summation of events on the thread.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saint66au wrote: He took it too far and his obsession with the bottom line went a year or two too long, but without the Butterress adminstration's early prudence and budgeting...we may not have a side to follow right now. What he did from 2001-2004 was exactly what had to be done..make hard decisions to get the Club financially stable

God bless you ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
No1_Saint
Club Player

Don't forget the monumental job that Plympton and his board completed before they were succeeded by Rod and his board.

When Rod took over the club was surviving but not thriving. One of his aims was to make the club thrive and be a powerhouse and yet here we are facing the same issues again when he took over:

*Flagging membership numbers
*Stagnating home crowd numbers
*Falling corporate support
*Decreasing profts and increasing losses
*A poor balance sheet with little or no assets to speak of
*Unfavourable deal with the Telstra Dome...STILL!!!

These issues are not the making of the current administration, but it is one they need to face during a global recession which is likely to get worse.

The reality is the club doesn't make enough money. Money comes from:

*Increasing and maintaining membership to at least 35,000
*Increased walk up home crowd numbers to lift ticket and catering revenue
*Increased merchandise sales with an apparell sponsor that designs wearable clothes not some hybrid knock off that is a throw back to the 80's (the bad parts)
*Getting a better deal with the home ground
*Fixed blockbusters as suggested previously in the thread to maximise profits and strengthen the brand to attract larger sponsorship deals

I think the club should apply for a significant capital injection to build up assets and focus on non football related revenue streams to try and future proof the club.

IMO of course. :roll:

Saints43
Club Player

No1_Saint wrote:Don't forget the monumental job that Plympton and his board completed before they were succeeded by Rod and his board.
Did Plympton do that great a job?

(And I fully understand the time, effort and dedication that the honorary position of President requires. This is not a go at AP personally)

He announced a $550K profit to the papers every year which never appeared in the Annual Report.

He ran the club like a personal fiefdom. Was matey with the players (a big mistake for presidents IMO) and made decisions on coaches based on personalities (allegedly).

Appointed a news reader as coach.

The AFL had to appoint a CEO (Don Hanly?) to run the club properly.

Had to be removed with a crow bar (perhaps everyone in power does) when a superior ticket (RB et al) came along.

I will always be grateful to the people who give their time and expertise to the club but I believe that APs reign was a pretty ordinary one. (Especially considering we had two bouts of on-field success during his time)

saintly
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

yep i agree with that.

same with GT should have left after his first 3 year contract. oh well, should've, could've its always the same

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

yep i agree with that.

same with GT should have left after his first 3 year contract. oh well, should've, could've its always the same
Yes most coaches leave after getting a side to a preliminary final.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
saintly wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

yep i agree with that.

Yes most coaches leave after getting a side to a preliminary final.
Should never had been coach in the first place. They hit the panic button with Blight.

Oh, and don't forget his promise to step aside if someone was available to do the job better. Obviously, nobody was better than him... must explain why so many clubs offered him a job. :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: * Moorabin/Frankston/Seaford relocation. After sprooking for ages to members how the club was going to redevelop Moorabin and it was going to be fantastic etc, the whole thing falls over because proper due diligence wasn't done with council re poker machines. Councils are nothing more than groups of people who can be pressured into decisions if it helps their own cause. We will never know the whole story yet it mst have been quite a b*lls up. StKilda is now potentially to be in the last 2or 3 clubs to get state of the art facilities for their players, and this is at a location which is not easily accessible to some of the suporter base.

Not just for the supporter base, for when asked privately what he thought of the Seaford reloaction a current long serving player said QUOTE " Yeah a few of the boys are not real happy about it"!

This will cost us in the future, when trying to lure and retain star players to/at our club, make no mistake about this!

When the inevitable cycle kicks in and we are once again down near the bottom of the ladder in an 18 team competition, located in the back blocks of Seaford it will bite us harder than a pillow in an Oxford st hotel during Mardi Gra!

iwantmeseats wrote: As above, Moorabbin is a complete and sad disaster. Yeah yeah , previous admin, BUT Archie had more than onehand in all those shenanigans.
Was this really the previous administrations fault or is more to do with the current administration?

Gdanski who announced to everyone in the press, QUOTE "I was the one that divided them, I was the one that broke the board up, I was the one that caused the s*** to hit the fan" remains on the board!

Most interesting that when Butterss arrives back from an overseas holiday, unbeknown to him/ the PRESIDENT, he is horrified to learn the CEO Fraser has already announced in the press that all negotiations with Kingston council are off and the club will not be staying at Moorabbin.

Butterss is obviously not on the same page as the CEO as he immediately issues a counter statement saying the club will be staying at Moorabbin!

Interesting, is it not?

Did anyone around here pay attention to any of this?

Who on the board was in with Fraser to allow these statements to made in the press, while the president is away on leave?

You do need to be Einstein, in fact even if you were blind freddy, it isn't very difficult to see that this was orchestrated by Gdanski, who has already admitted to be the clandestine operator who ( in his words ) divided and broke the board up!

I am absolutely convinced that the Frankston relocation was a part of Gdanski's agenda which FF embraced wholeheartedly and it is also interesting that once the result of the ballot was announced and FF were elected, almost within 5 minutes they announced that we are off to Frankston!

Mind you, the members were never told of their intentions regarding the location of the reloaction before the ballot, even though they knew at the time!

THEN when the Frankston park location falls over, the immediate response of the board is to drive around the Frankston area looking for a vacant lot.

So what we have here is a vacant lot looking for a vacant lot!

Gdanski is the architect behind this, he's already admitted to shafting the previous board, who under Butterss were committed to staying at Moorabbin and in the event of this not happening, relocating the club back to the St kilda area!

How hard is it to negotiate with the Kingston council filled with ephemeral people who are probably not even on the council anymore and have everything fall over for what amounts to about 8 pokie machines, unless of course there are hidden agenda's at play!

I would suggest that it is a member of the current board and the current CEO that everything to do with, not only the choice of location for the relocation but in making sure that the negotiations with Kingston went pear shaped, while the president was away on holidays!

Remembering of course that, in the event of Moorabbin no longer being an option Butterss was keen to locate the club back close to the St kilda area!

But unfortunately the club has once again done, what it has a history of doing, shooting itself in the foot!

Seriously basing an AFL club in the back blocks of Seaford is fair dinkum lunacy!
Last edited by barks4eva on Thu 19 Feb 2009 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

YES!! and we're still waiting to hear your alternative options... and when you intend to nominate for the board.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
PLUGGER14
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
Some times when you read through all his reposts you find a little gem like this. LMAO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
older saint wrote: * Moorabin/Frankston/Seaford relocation. After sprooking for ages to members how the club was going to redevelop Moorabin and it was going to be fantastic etc, the whole thing falls over because proper due diligence wasn't done with council re poker machines. Councils are nothing more than groups of people who can be pressured into decisions if it helps their own cause. We will never know the whole story yet it mst have been quite a b*lls up. StKilda is now potentially to be in the last 2or 3 clubs to get state of the art facilities for their players, and this is at a location which is not easily accessible to some of the suporter base.

Not just for the supporter base, for when asked privately what he thought of the Seaford reloaction a current long serving player said QUOTE " Yeah a few of the boys are not real happy about it"!

This will cost us in the future, when trying to lure and retain star players to/at our club, make no mistake about this!

When the inevitable cycle kicks in and we are once again down near the bottom of the ladder in an 18 team competition, located in the back blocks of Seaford it will bite us harder than a pillow in an Oxford st hotel during Mardi Gra!

iwantmeseats wrote: As above, Moorabbin is a complete and sad disaster. Yeah yeah , previous admin, BUT Archie had more than onehand in all those shenanigans.
Was this really the previous administrations fault or is more to do with the current administration?

Gdanski who announced to everyone in the press, QUOTE "I was the one that divided them, I was the one that broke the board up, I was the one that caused the s*** to hit the fan" remains on the board!

Most interesting that when Butterss arrives back from an overseas holiday, unbeknown to him/ the PRESIDENT, he is horrified to learn the CEO Fraser has already announced in the press that all negotiations with Kingston council are off and the club will not be staying at Moorabbin.

Butterss is obviously not on the same page as the CEO as he immediately issues a counter statement saying the club will be staying at Moorabbin!

Interesting, is it not?

Who on the board was in with Fraser to allow these statements to made in the press, while the president is away on leave?

You do need to be Einstein, in fact even if you were blind freddy, it isn't very difficult to see that this was orchestrated by Gdanski, who has already admitted to be the clandestine operator who ( in his words ) divided and broke the board up!

I am absolutely convinced that the Frankston relocation was a part of Gdanski's agenda which FF embraced wholeheartedly and it is also interesting that once the result of the ballot was announced and FF were elected, almost within 5 minutes they announced that we are off to Frankston!

Mind you, the members were never told of their intentions regarding the location of the reloaction before the ballot, even though they knew at the time!

THEN when the Frankston park location falls over, the immediate response of the board is to drive around the Frankston area looking for a vacant lot.

Gdanski is the architect behind this, he's already admitted to shafting the previous board, who under Butterss were committed to staying at Moorabbin and in the event of this not happening, relocating the club back to the St kilda area!

How hard is it to negotiate with the Kingston council filled with ephemeral people who are probably not even on the council anymore and have everything fall over for what amounts to about 8 pokie machines, unless of course there are hidden agenda's at play!

I would suggest that it is a member of the current board and the current CEO that everything to do with, not only the choice of location for the relocation but in making sure that the negotiations with Kingston went pear shaped, while the president was away on holidays!

Remembering of course that, in the event of Moorabbin no longer being an option Butterss was keen to locate the club back close to the St kilda area!

But unfortunately the club has once again done, what it has a history of doing, shooting itself in the foot!

Seriously basing an AFL club in the back blocks of Seaford is fair dinkum lunacy!
You go on and on about Seaford being in the back blocks but maybe a few facts mightnt hurt your arguement. Sorry it would hurt your arguement. Do you realise that Seaford is 32km from the city and premiers who are located at Waverley are 26km form the city. Is that extra 6km going to be the downfall of our club where as the Hawks have won a flag since going to Waverley. The arguement that being in Seaford will stop star players staying or being lured is rubbish. They are training at Seaford I dont think they have to live there or does everyone who has a job in a certain suburb live in that suburb.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

Interesting, is it not?

Have I read this before?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

Interesting, is it not?

Have I read this before?
YES many times, in many different threads !!

GrumpyOne

PLUGGER14 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Some times when you read through all his reposts you find a little gem like this. LMAO
Don't celebrate too much plugger, if B4 creates a good line, he repeats it, repeats it, repeats it, repeats it, repeats it, repeats it, repeats it, and repeats it.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

a few are playing the man a bit here, yes B4E is being repetitive. But the aim is to drum into people, there were opposing voices at the time not if/when it all goes pear shape.

He has proffered an alternative location.
He doesnt have to run for the board in order to have an opinion.

I have no idea if the move will be successful, logically it doesnt "sound" right.
But I know one thing, if the facilty doesnt rival the Lexus Centre or the new Bulldogs project, then we will quickly look like the Roos, poor facilities and dwindling supporter base.

Seeya