HAWKS v SAINTS Compared

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Quixote wrote:As it turns out I watched last year's GF for the second time, tonight.

Hawthorn were the luckiest litter of bitches I've ever seen win a flag.
I couldn't aggree more. They will struggle this year.
Yes they will struggle. They only finished 4-5 games clear of 4th and only won the prelim by 10 goals and yes they are a very young side and most young players improve so I have no doubt they will struggle. Makes sense really.
So just because they won last years GF and they have a very young side does not mean they will enjoy the same success this year. For the past 20 years only two teams have bean able to win back to back flags. Port Adelaide were in the GF in 2007 and didn't make the finals the following year so why is it so hard to predict that the Hawks will slide this year. They are already hit hard with injuries so it is more than likely they are going to get off to a slow start.

nathan000
Club Player

Riewoldt is a 9 for sure. Franklin kicks more goals but Nick is all around the ground, consistently kicking 2 - 5 goals a week, taking around 10 marks and collection around 20 possessions. Always assisting with goals, a thing Lance Franklin doesn't even know the meaning off.

To the top
SS Life Member

Guerra gets a game for Hawthorn.

Enough said.

Mind you the reason he gets a game is their tactics which mean they have players in defence who do not have an opponent.

St Kilda allowed him to sit back and rack up easy possession after easy possession (30, weren't there?) as they went backwards and lo and behold, Geelong did not learn the next week!

So he got another heap of uncontested possessions.

Their key defenders do not have to be much because they play with such numbers back and around the ball - also forcing opposing dangerous attacking players up the ground in search of space and therefore not dangerous on goal.

The tactic to negate and beat them is obvious.

Refer St Kilda v. Hawthorn at Docklands when Riewoldt was not forced up the ground (6 goals) and Blake (3 goals) ran forward in the second half meaning we were actually opposing their very ordinary players.

Because they are a team of very ordinary players.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Guerra gets a game for Hawthorn.

Enough said.

Mind you the reason he gets a game is their tactics which mean they have players in defence who do not have an opponent.

St Kilda allowed him to sit back and rack up easy possession after easy possession (30, weren't there?) as they went backwards and lo and behold, Geelong did not learn the next week!

Their key defenders do not have to be much because they play with such numbers back and around the ball - also forcing opposing dangerous attacking players up the ground in search of space and therefore not dangerous on goal.

Refer St Kilda v. Hawthorn at Docklands when Riewoldt was not forced up the ground (6 goals) and Blake (3 goals) ran forward in the second half meaning we were actually opposing their very ordinary players.

I think that we got caught out during the prelim and don't think it will happen again. I think that a lot of coaches would have since looked at that game where we beat them at Docklands. We beat them convincingly, moreso than any other team was able to last year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Enough said.

Yes ordinary players. I agree i just wish we had some ordinary players who would win us a flag. As for the tactic to negate and beat them being obvious you should coach an AFL side because only about 3 sides beat them last year so you better get into that caper.

It smacks of jealousy saying they will not make the 8 or a team of very ordinary players

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Enough said.

Yes ordinary players. I agree i just wish we had some ordinary players who would win us a flag. As for the tactic to negate and beat them being obvious you should coach an AFL side because only about 3 sides beat them last year so you better get into that caper.

It smacks of jealousy saying they will not make the 8 or a team of very ordinary players
What's wrong with making observations about an opposition team's possible demise, isn't it similar to making observations that there are teams heaps better than your own team.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Enough said.

I responded once to this thread.

Responding a second time would clearly be a waste of my time.

Pun not intended. :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think they will make the eight no doubt, they are not going to do a Port and bottom out.

But I do not feel they will be capable of holding the title "reigning premiers" at the end of the 2009 season.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

6. Gilbert is not in our top ten.

I would have to agree with that. On the form shown in last seasons finals, Sam Gil had one very good game and a couple of fair ones. I would have Raph a fair way ahead of him at this stage, as he had a better final series, and that is what it is all about. Raph would have been in our best 6 in most of the finals.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Sorry Con but Williams a 7......and a few others mentioned before by others just aren't right. Gilbert not in our top ten, don't even think he was in top 0 at B&F last year.
Hawthorn are an excellent team and we will have done very well to finish above them, injuries and other off field indiscretions notwithstanding........

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CeilidhSaint wrote:Sorry Con but Williams a 7......and a few others mentioned before by others just aren't right. Gilbert not in our top ten, don't even think he was in top 0 at B&F last year.
Hawthorn are an excellent team and we will have done very well to finish above them, injuries and other off field indiscretions notwithstanding........
yeah. im wrong there. gilbert out. gram in.