Teams STK vs SYD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
I really think Gwilt's best role is medium sized forward, but I really think he needs to realise how strong he is. He wouldn't be far off Fraser a few years back through the lower body.
Good call - I'm always amazed this guy doesn't go harder. Could do anything but doesn't seem to have much self belief.

He needs to develop a bit of Akermanis style about him - not hair, just attitude. Take the game on and f*** what anybody thinks.
Thats what concerns me about Gwilt much like the Fiora article...its self belief and if after this long on an AFLlist he still doesnt have it you'd have to ask will he ever?

He reminds me of that kid at school that you knew was built like a monster that could murder anyone but just had no mongrel.

shame.

“Yeah….nah””
PJ
SS Life Member

Thats what concerns me about Gwilt much like the Fiora article...its self belief and if after this long on an AFLlist he still doesnt have it you'd have to ask will he ever?

He reminds me of that kid at school that you knew was built like a monster that could murder anyone but just had no mongrel.

shame.
We live in hope. Sometimes something just has to click.

His team mates have absolute faith in his kicking ability I'm sure of.

What I don't get is the Adelaide final where he let rip - how does that happen and then just disappear!!! I mean he was just desperate and in everything - it's like schizophrenia.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
zebraman
Club Player

Art Vandelay wrote:Good to see ol' Rossco trying some of the new kids....Fair Dinkum, Geary, McQualter, Blake etc, etc.

Another Nuthin' year for the Saints I'm afraid.
Bit odd writing the year off before a game has been played

chook23
Saintsational Legend

ordinary looking team........

saint4life
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else concerned about Baker and his ability to make the grade at the moment?

Agree we are a bit light on.

I just hope Goose isn't rushed back.

Loyal
Club Player

long season

saintbob
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:a little surprised to see that both king and gardiner are in. is it going to leave us light on for run?
You've got to be kidding, its what we missed all last year.

The only wrong selections were Mini and Gwilt, surely Steven and Lynch would have been better options!!!

Loyal
Club Player

you're right.
i think jimmy needs to chow down on a good dose of harden the phuk up frankly.
mini i'm not unhappy with he has shown signs regardless of what ppl say.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok...

Lenny...obviously injured.

X....if not injured surprised he did not make it..

Gwilt.....surprised he did make it...

Geary....hopefullya good sign that he is ready.

King and Gardi...as pointed out already the Swans are a high stoppage team...so we want every advantage we can get in the ruck.

Comments:

The Swans are a very hard working team...and RL seems to have erred on the side of players who will work hard and follow instruction.

I quite like the look of our forward line. It has a nice balance and structure...but without Lenny our midfield group lacks enough class.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintWodonga
Club Player

After seeing the Blues smash tonight.. With 4 new players (+ Johnson)

I am wondering why we do not pick some youth.. Maybe some impact players, back them. We do not back our draft picks. Team looks flat (on paper).

Love to to see Heyen & Steven given a go.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:After seeing the Blues smash tonight.. With 4 new players (+ Johnson)

I am wondering why we do not pick some youth.. Maybe some impact players, back them. We do not back our draft picks. Team looks flat (on paper).

Sydney are a different prospect to Richmond. Richmond has been the softest - worst tackling team in the past 6 season - Sydney would have been one of the best.

You can afford to blood small bodied players against a Richmond team - against a close checking Sydney - they would get absolutely smashed.

Mini gives us some close checking - Gwilt gives us something up forward and can also play down back.

Steven and Heyne are class players - they WILL get a go.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:After seeing the Blues smash tonight.. With 4 new players (+ Johnson)

Carlton smashed Richmond...lets remember that.

Im not sure Carlton would have gotten the same free wheeling run playing against Sydney.

Lyon knows how Sydney like to play.

I also would like some youth to spark us this year and am not a fan of mini or gwilt to be honest but I understand the logic behind the selections.

gonna be a grind this game for sure.

“Yeah….nah””
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Teams STK vs SYD

clarky449 wrote:B: Farren Ray, Jason Blake, Zac Dawson
HB: Jarryn Geary, Sam Fisher, Brendon Goddard
C: Jason Gram, Luke Ball, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Stephen Milne, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Schneider
F: Andrew McQualter, Justin Koschitzke, Sam Gilbert
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Clint Jones, Leigh Montagna
Int: Steven Baker, Raphael Clarke, James Gwilt, Steven King, ,
Emg: Colm Begley, Ben McEvoy, Robert Eddy
I doubt the team will start the game like this..

Positives:
Good to see Jarryn Geary getting a game and he will only improve this year. It's also good to see Farren Ray and Zac Dawson both come in and I think they can add something to the team, but not if Ray is used as a tagging player.

Negatives:
Andrew McQualter being in the team before Leigh Fisher. McQualter has a crack but is to small and can't kick.

Clint Jones being in the team before Jack Steven and Nick Heyne. Like McQualter, Jones gives his all but has shocking foot skills. I thought Heyne and Steven looked good in the pre-season and added a bit of spark and youth into the team. I look forward to watching the game.

emmdee
Club Player

any possibility we could back the coach in , on our first game...geeezzz... i reckon the men in charge should be given a bit of support here...they have picked the players based on what they believe is the right matchups & can implement the game plan....just get the feeling a few posters seem a bit insecure/worried/lacking positivity about OUR coach & his ability to do the right thing....lets see what happens & show the people in charge a bit of faith....bag them on sunday if things turn out not as we hoped... :D we're in it together, lets stick fat....

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
PJ
SS Life Member

Here here

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It's a very poor looking team compared to what we've put out in the past.

However, I'd like to think it marks a last chance saloon for a number of players to keep their spot before we start giving chances to guys like Steven, Armitage, Heyne, Begley and Eddy.

McQualter is certainly one of those players and Gwilt is another. If Dawson has a Crocker, he could find himself squeezed out as soon as Max and Maguire get fit.

So at the very least, we'll find out if those three blokes want it enough on Saturday night. Maybe harsh on Dawson, but equally, this is his big chance to show us he's worth the punt. If he steps up, it could be the start his career needs. If he struggles, he's going to have a tough time keeping his spot.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The "experienced" cupboard is already empty due to big clean out at the end of last year.
With the one exception of Leigh Fisher every player from the class of 2005 and before who was available, is in the team or an emergency (Begley was originally a class of 2004).

Hayes, X Clarke and Maguire are not yet fully available despite the club website's list of injuries.

That leaves the young brigade from the classes of 2006, 2007 & 2008 to fill any spaces created by injuries.

The club's future is already in the hands of these 22 youngsters.

Class of 2006
DAVID ARMITAGE
BRAD HOWARD
JARRYD ALLEN
CLINTON JONES
ROBERT EDDY
JARRYN GEARY

Class of 2007
BEN McEVOY
JACK STEVEN
ELJAY CONNORS
LUKE MILES
KHAN HARETUKU

Class of 2008
TOM LYNCH
FARREN RAY
RHYS STANLEY
NICHOLAS HEYNE
ALISTAIR SMITH
PAUL CAHILL
TOM SIMPKIN
STEVEN GAERTNER
ROSS TUNGATALUM
SAM McGARRY
BLAKE McGRATH
Last edited by ace on Fri 27 Mar 2009 1:20am, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintbob
SS Life Member

As I was last year, I 'm more than happy to declare that I 'm a un-abashed CJ supporter.

I hope he continues to improve and keeps the pressure on some of our more OVER-RATED and OVER-PAYED players that we continue to pick in our best 22 week in week out!!!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Sydney are a different prospect to Richmond. Richmond has been the softest - worst tackling team in the past 6 season - Sydney would have been one of the best.

You can afford to blood small bodied players against a Richmond team - against a close checking Sydney - they would get absolutely smashed.

Mini gives us some close checking - Gwilt gives us something up forward and can also play down back.

Steven and Heyne are class players - they WILL get a go.
entirely correct...even the new players in the swans are physical axes who know how to tackle and hit hard

if we debuted a few players they would end up with broken collarbones

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
ThePunter
Club Player

Where did McQualter get the reputation that he couldn't kick. Clinton Jones can't kick - they go everywhere. McQualter simply can't drill someone like a Brendan Goddard or Nick Dal Santo, but then, very few can. McQualter can hit a target.

spert
Saintsational Legend

No lightweight under-developed players against Sydney as they play tough and close -the stronger body players and close-checkers are the pick.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Spot on Punter. McQ is a neat disposer of the footy by both hand and foot. Not a long kick, but pretty accurate. He's in the side because he's earned it. A hard tackler, tough inside, can do run with roles, and follows instructions. Why there are posters calling for his removal and replacement with kids still wet behind the ears is somewhat of a mystery.

Surely kids need to earn their spots, not be handed them on potential? If they do the work and show enough form they'll get a run.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:Our depth is being exposed in round 1, heaven help us by the time we get to round 11. Really hard to imagine this line up beating too many teams , maybe Melbourne? One thing in our favour is that Sydney are not normally a high scoreing team so lets hope the trend continues.
As far as I can remember didn't sides similar to this win 8 out of their last 10 games in last years H&A season
They werent as thin as this line up but thats imo only . They might come out & blitz (lets hope so) but on paper imo it looks ordinary.

elvis lives
Club Player

It was obvious going in to the Hawthorn preliminary final and it’s just as clear now. We will never be a serious contender as long was we have more than three genuine battlers in our side. Just about every team has a battler or two, Geelong and Hawthorn at their best have none. Melbourne has several. It’s a simple equation, the more you have in your starting 22, the more you will struggle.

A battler is someone who I would say can do a role for you effectively in 4 out of 10 games, might be in your best once or twice in that 10 games and will go missing in the remaining 4/5 games- particularly against quality opposition.

All of Gwilt, Geary, McQualter, Dawson & CJ have their strengths and weaknesses and are generally good enough to be AFL footballers. But lets be honest, apart from Geary they have all been around a while and the evidence is in – they are battlers. Guys who have shown talent, but over the curse of their careers are odds on to have little impact on any one game – particularly against the best.

At full strength we are a formidable unit, I am confident of that. But we have virtually no depth and just a handful of injuries, particularly to key players, brings us right back with or behind the pack. Unfortunately, there are quite a few of our starting 22 who are seriously injury prone. So the prognosis does not look good.

I am marching in the Saints army
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

So Mini's the new forum whipping boy is he? at 22 or so years old, he sure is past it...

Since his delisting at the end of '07, he's earned a place. Especially against Sydney, there's worse things that having defensively sound hard nut mids. He's hardly an old guy too, with plenty of scope for improvement. The trouble for him is if he doesn't show it, there's plenty of hungry kids that will be looking to take his spot.

By the same token, the Steven's and Heyne's of the world need to earn that chance - the same way Geary has, and Sydney rd 1 is probably not the time for it. This thread ought to be on bigfooty, where if you can't have your best 22, they just want the youngest player possible.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford