Natural Goal kickers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LondonSaint
Club Player

Natural Goal kickers

I was bored at home, so watched some highlights of Hawhorn v Geelong on the internet. What I noticed is that good teams have natural forwards who is capable of kick bags of goals and apply forward line pressure. So, I did a brainstorm of last year's top 4 teams and their forward line. Out of the 4, we are the least potent up forward, with only 3.5 natural forwards and their forward line pressure skills are questionable. (i don't count eddy and Jones as natural forwards btw) On top of that, we have an over reliance on riewoldt and lacking a goal kicking midfield. That's why we will struggle to kick big scores. There's is an urgent need to develop young players like Lynch, Heyne, Cahill, Steven who all seems to be natural forwards as soon as we can. And to think all those 4 young players only got drafted in the last 2 years just reflects mismanagement of our list. I also think we still are short on midfield and backline depth. Don't want to lay any blames coz it's too late and we need to look forward.

Hawthorn
Franklin, Roughead, Rioli, Osborne, Williams

Geelong
Mooney, Longergan, Chapman, Gamble, Johnson, Varcoe, Stokes, Ablett

St Kilda
Riewoldt, Milne, Schneider, kosi (only played forward half the time)

Collingwood
Didak, Thomas, Davis, Medhurst, Anthony, Cloke

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Natural Goal kickers

LondonSaint wrote:
I

St Kilda
Riewoldt, Milne, Schneider, kosi (only played forward half the time)
Good post...but depending by what you mean as natural goal-kickers I would actually have different than you for the Saints..

Milne, Schneider, Armo and BJ (though I would not play BJ purely as a forward as his kicking and ability to set up play are VITAL if we are to be competitive this year).

Armo whilea mid, just knows how to kicks goal..so hence is a natural goal-kicker while perhaps not a natural "all-in" forward.

Roo is definately a natural "all-in" forward when you loo at all the skills...and is an ok kick at goal.

Kosi as a goal kicker is all over the shop.

Of the kids:

***...YES Heyne loos very much so...though remains to be seen if he will become an AFL player or not.

*** and then there is the excitement machine Choo Choo !!!!!!!!!! Most definately a natural goal-kicker from the tapes I have seen.

Gilbert could becomea good "all-in" forward..while not a natural goal-kicker.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

must say gilbo did have a noise for the goals againstthe dogs in the practice match. Some players have a sense of where that goal face is no matter where they are facing.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plus I would add miniand stevens as natral goal kickers

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Foz
Club Player

We also struggle to score because of 2 factors;
- lack of inside 50's from our key midfielders
- lack of penetration with the kicks into F50 (few of Hodge, Dew, Young types)

In 08 , Joey was our leading midfielder providing entries. Bally was well down on this count compared to elite mids in the comp. Our fringe mids - Mini, Eddy, Fish, CJ provided limited entry. Some improvement has to come from this bunch and/or Jack Steven etc

BJ and Grammy will help this cause no end - both with kicking penetration and the ability to spot up targets.

JABBER
Club Player

natural goalkickers

Roo milne Kosi schneider Dal Gram and in the reserves you got Heyne Cahill and choo choo coming through

trevor barker
LondonSaint
Club Player

I am actually talking about purely forward line players e.g. those line up forward of centre, FF or HF line need to be natural forwards. Yes, Armo and Steven could be the answer, however they aren't proven goal kicker and haven't delivered consistently unlike the players i mentioned for the other clubs, even a first player like Rioli has proved himself to be a natural forward.

A forward line put simply is there to kick goals. So i'm talking about having a potent forward 6. Yes, BJ, gram can kick goals to but they are actually midfielders pushing forward. Normally, goals come from the forward line players (forward 6), with midfield players contributing as well. What i'm saying is that we no longer have a potent forward line, part of the reason we
1. Always kick to Nick.
2. Poor conversion rate (natural forwards with goal instincts will have better conversion rate, e.g. milne. his 11 straight is just amazing)
3. Can not convert foward entries into goals (how many goals has clinton jones kicked, been permanently parked on half foward flank)

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Western Bulldogs were top 4 not collingwood

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Ross (Rocko) Tungatalum.
Not Kosi!
PS If anyne watched the doco about the Tiwi Bombers, they played St Mary's and I am sure there was a snippet of Rocko in that if you kept your eyes open.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
the_D_train
Club Player

yeah I watched that, i think he was 32 ?

PJ
SS Life Member

Tunga will be our next forward sensation.

LS you need to look at why Geelong are so successful - they have mids that kick goals not just permanent forwards, in fact their forwards probably haven't kicked more than ours.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.