Changes Going Into Round 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Changes Going Into Round 2

A win is a win. Built in the midfield and defence - the forward line wasn't amazing. Next week against the Crows the midfield will again be key. Let's hope they're out of energy already - sounds like a draining game in the sun against the Pies.

Out:
R Clarke (hamstring)
J Gwilt (not up to it)

In:
C Begley
R Eddy

Emergencies: L Fisher, N Heyne, B McEvoy

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes Going Into Round 2

bergholt wrote:A win is a win. Built in the midfield and defence - the forward line wasn't amazing. Next week against the Crows the midfield will again be key. Let's hope they're out of energy already - sounds like a draining game in the sun against the Pies.

Out:
R Clarke (hamstring)
J Gwilt (not up to it)

In:
C Begley
R Eddy

Emergencies: L Fisher, N Heyne, B McEvoy
How did all those players go in the Sandy practice match today?

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Personally, I'd be putting Hayes in...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:How did all those players go in the Sandy practice match today?
should i edit the original post to say "pending outcome of practice match/training during the week/injuries/everything else"? since i'm not going to see it anyway, i don't see how my opinion is going to change by this evening unless there are injuries.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:How did all those players go in the Sandy practice match today?
:lol:

hopefully someone from here is going and can give us a report.

i'll be interested in hearing how l. fisher, goose and heyne go.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:Personally, I'd be putting Hayes in...
Yep, one would think Hayes is a shoe in for next week lol

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

thirty-seven!? wrote:Personally, I'd be putting Hayes in...
Couldn't let that slight oversight by the op go, could you?

Haha

Ice Wolf
Club Player

OUT: Connex
IN: A public transport operator who isn't monumentally incompetent.

JABBER
Club Player

Changes going into round 2

R Clarke (inj) out maybe lenny back in if fit if not Begley

trevor barker
Loyal
Club Player

To state the blindingly obvious: Lenny would be a huge inclusion for Adelaide.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:To state the blindingly obvious: Lenny would be a huge inclusion for Adelaide.
True, but luckily they cannot pick him.

So he will be a huge inclusion against Adelaide.. :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:OUT: Connex
Geez it was a shocker wasn't it.

The switchboard on platform 9 said the train at 10:02 was a Frankston (I need Frankston/Pakenham/Cranbourne) and I confirmed this with one of them yellow goons patrolling the platform. So all is good untill I see my train pull up at Prahan :shock: Bloody Sandringham line.

Out: R.Clarke (INJ), J.Gwilt (OMIT)

In: L.Hayes and whoever shows best signs today for Sandringham.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:
Geez it was a shocker wasn't it.

The switchboard on platform 9 said the train at 10:02 was a Frankston (I need Frankston/Pakenham/Cranbourne) and I confirmed this with one of them yellow goons patrolling the platform. So all is good untill I see my train pull up at Prahan :shock: Bloody Sandringham line.
Ive forwarded the issue to Ask Archie to see if they can put some pressure on Connex because this craps been gong on for years, surely it must affect crowds because of the hassle trying to get home.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:Out: R.Clarke (INJ), J.Gwilt (OMIT)

Agree, we must wait to see who put their hand up.

I thought CJ was a bit quiet... Could be repaced

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:
SaintBot wrote:Out: R.Clarke (INJ), J.Gwilt (OMIT)

Agree, we must wait to see who put their hand up.

I thought CJ was a bit quiet... Could be repaced
Yep agreed although Jones was doing a tagging job.

If enough players put their hand up today (looking at Xavier, Eddy, Begley, Steven, Lynch) then Jones and Geary could also find themselves under pressure.

SaintDebi
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Loyal wrote:To state the blindingly obvious: Lenny would be a huge inclusion for Adelaide.
True, but luckily they cannot pick him.

So he will be a huge inclusion against Adelaide.. :wink:
Funny. That was exactly my thought when I read that post. Lol.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I second that motion.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I'd agree that Gwilt and CJ would want to improve on that effort.
Both could lose their spots, but its really dependent on Sandy match and Lenny's fitness.

What about Steven? Is he a chance?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Sobraz
SS Life Member

i think geary should be first inline to be replaced...

was very poor last night and caused several crucial turnovers...

after last nights performace, next in line to be dropped would be Jones and Gwilt...

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Was Gwilt that bad last night?

I recall him dropping an impossible handpass from Gardi and making an attempt on goal from 55 out that fell short, but I don't recall him doing anything else that anyone could object to. He wasn't on the field for the first 15 mins or so of the game when the Swans kicked most of their goals.

If Lenny comes back for Raph, I would have been inclined to leave Gwilt in as a mobile medium-sized player with good kicking skills. Eddy and Fish are both quite a bit smaller in size, and neither of them - nor Begley (who seems to me to be about the same size as Jimmy) - are anywhere near as effective kickers.

Of course, if the Adelaide lineup has better matchups for Eddy or Fish then I would support Gwilt being omitted. Is that the case?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Was Gwilt that bad last night?

I recall him dropping an impossible handpass from Gardi and making an attempt on goal from 55 out that fell short, but I don't recall him doing anything else that anyone could object to. He wasn't on the field for the first 15 mins or so of the game when the Swans kicked most of their goals.

If Lenny comes back for Raph, I would have been inclined to leave Gwilt in as a mobile medium-sized player with good kicking skills. Eddy and Fish are both quite a bit smaller in size, and neither of them - nor Begley (who seems to me to be about the same size as Jimmy) - are anywhere near as effective kickers.

Of course, if the Adelaide lineup has better matchups for Eddy or Fish then I would support Gwilt being omitted. Is that the case?
I agree totally. Was part of a backline that strangled the Swans. So what did he do wrong? Why change a winning backline combo

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

what on earth is the hype within the saints fraternity about geary???

he looks like a nothing player blissfully unaware of whats going on on the park

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
meher baba wrote:Was Gwilt that bad last night?

I agree totally. Was part of a backline that strangled the Swans. So what did he do wrong? Why change a winning backline combo
The thing that iratates me about him is how long he takes to dispose the ball. The guy is king of hesitation and slows down far too many quick passages of play.

He is also too slow for the type of player he is trying to be. He's had his chances, I'm ready to see someone new.
Last edited by SaintBot on Sun 29 Mar 2009 2:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I think its pretty obvious CJ was asked to sacrifice his game to look after McVeigh...and I thought he did this to great effect. Holds his place for mine...might even get the job on McLeod next week.

Lenny for Raph the only compulsory change..unless someone plays an absolute blinder for Sandy today

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:what on earth is the hype within the saints fraternity about geary???

he looks like a nothing player blissfully unaware of whats going on on the park
Haven't you noticed the career path for younger players on this forum?

1. For as long as they are being usually omitted from the AFL team, they are talked up as if they are going to be the next Harvey/Plugger/Buckley/Voss.

2. For the first few AFL games they play - in which they typically do nothing much - they are described as "promising".

3. Then, if they are dropped for not doing much, we start to get a sort of bandwagon of "give....a go instead of (insert name of current whipping boy here)".

4. When they finally get back to AFL level, there is a lot of excitement, until - finally - they make a monumental stuff-up or two in a big game.

5. After that, they are elevated into being one of the forum's whipping boys. And then it doesn't matter what they do: there will be calls for them to be dropped in favour of someone else who most posters on here have never actually seen play a game of AFL.

Geary is currently between stages 3 and 4. He will need to fumble the ball a few times leading to a turnover or some such before he can hope to get to stage 5, where he can join the likes of Mini, Gwilt and Raph (and, in past seasons, Fiora, Goddard, Blake, Dal Santo et al).

Steven, Lynch and Heynes are currently at stage 1. Leigh Fisher seems to be slowly heading towards stage 3, where he will be joined by Eddy if the latter is omitted again next week.

I prefer to try to judge the players on what I see of them. On that basis, I think the jury is still out on Geary. He was good in the NAB cup game, and a bit disappointing last night: although he did a few ok things.

BTW, I thought Jones was good last night, and his disposal seemed better than last year.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift