Jason Gram

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Jason Gram

his kicking again was terrible last night...to back it up it was awful against the swans...

his kicking never was great however the first few matches has seen it go down the proverbial toilet

injury???

not entirely thrilled that a good ball runner as he wastes opportunities going forward when it comes time to dispose by foot

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I think Gram's kicking improves with time. The fitter he gets the better his kicking gets. He's had an interupted pre season,so might take him a while to get his skills back.

Our most underated player by far

Bring back the Lockett era
claystreet
Club Player

When on song he is a beautiful long kick of the footy but its been a long time since he has put his running kicking talents to use.

I dont believe hes carrying an injury, i believe its just an over inflated ego.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:I think Gram's kicking improves with time. The fitter he gets the better his kicking gets. He's had an interupted pre season,so might take him a while to get his skills back.

Our most underated player by far
no way in hell he is under-rated...if anything over-rated

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Gram had a simular start to last year, but mid year he began to come good.

He does have some problems with his knees, gathered from a rumour I heard last year.

Not everyone is going to be in form after round 2.....it's just not possible.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:Gram had a simular start to last year, but mid year he began to come good.

He does have some problems with his knees, gathered from a rumour I heard last year.

it just sounds like an excuse though...

he is dreadfully out of form...back to the two's

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

In the two's...turn it up.

He is vital to our side..and for some reason people don't see this which staggers me!?He is our biggest distance and ball carrier in the side,and one of the biggest in the league for that matter. Sure he coughs it up a bit,but his positives far outweigh his negatives
Last edited by jonesy on Sat 04 Apr 2009 12:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:Gram had a simular start to last year, but mid year he began to come good.

it just sounds like an excuse though...

he is dreadfully out of form...back to the two's
His defensive work appears to have improved.

T'was a nasty wind last nite. At least he backs himself in.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
claystreet
Club Player

Definately not 2's material and i would love to see him turn his game around starting next week. Some long runs out of the backline with some nice long ball delivered with perfection into the forward line.

8-)

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Gram's disposal by hand and foot have been a problem for a while.

At least two of his disposals resulted in goals to Adelaide.

He seems to try to kick the ball too hard which results in a clanger kick, he just needs to focus more on this at training.

People bag Clinton Jones on his disposal, but Gram's disposal is not much better

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Disposal has been poor but he's worked hard and provided a lot of run... certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

IMO the difference between good Gram (which can be very good) and GOP Gram (who often seems to take over when Gram's under pressure) is a matter of focus and confidence.

He's fast.
He's a long kick (though nowhere near as good a shot from outside 50 as he seems at times to think he is...)
and his commitment to tackling last night was really pleasing.

The big clang to set up Porp was a lazy kick, no step just lofted it.

His first outisde 50 shot at goal he could have taken another step or two to straighten up. His second hit the post, and I for one was impressed by how long and flat that kick was.

I'm not sure what could click him into the next gear, but it's visibly there.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Statsman
Club Player

jonesy wrote:In the two's...turn it up.

He is vital to our side..and for some reason people don't see this which staggers me!?He is our biggest distance and ball carrier in the side,and one of the biggest in the league for that matter. Sure he coughs it up a bit,but his positives far outweigh his negatives
What are Gram's positives? Offensively he turns the ball over frequently with his indiscriminate "kick and hope" mongrel punts inside 50. Defensively he refuses to put his body on the line in a contest and rarely sticks a tackle. There was a good example that last night when he stuck out his arm in an attempted tackle instead of getting his body behind the tackle and making it stick. His opponent broke through easily and left Gram nursing a sore shoulder.

We would be a far more dangerous side if Gram could convert his "run and carry" into opportunities for our key forwards. Just once I'd like to see him kick a proper drop punt and put it on the chest of a leading forward. Instead we get long bombs inside 50 that spray out to the pocket and from there it's up to the forwards to make something out of nothing.

Gram might get 20 dangerous possessions a game, but I'd much prefer 10 effective ones.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Is this for real? Yes he may spray some of his long kicks but still gets plenty of it and does a lot of good defensive things and gives off plenty of effective handballs.

He can't be doing too bad I don't have my heart in my throat when he has the ball like some other backmen in recent times.

I'd much rather him in the side than out.
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Sat 04 Apr 2009 1:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:Gram's disposal by hand and foot have been a problem for a while.

He seems to try to kick the ball too hard which results in a clanger kick, he just needs to focus more on this at training.

People bag Clinton Jones on his disposal, but Gram's disposal is not much better
The difference is one player gets a lot more of the ball than the other.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

maybe when hes dropping the ball to foot the eyes havent 'truely' followed and he's still having a quick look at WHERE he is kicking to....and not watching the ball onto the boot.
maybe just take a slower last step and look at the footy as he drops it...not at the target??

i got excited the three times i saw him in space on the run near the 50....
only to deliver three shanks lol.
s*** happens i spose.

in the magoo's??? (two's)
i dont think so.......... 8-)

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

He needs to start winning the hard ball!

GRAM is a very much an outside player but last night I thought he squibbed too many contested ball where he simply did not attack or committ himself to the contest.

He is the classic St Kilda 'pretty boy' who dances around the outside of packs waiting for a give off to go for a run and look fancy.

He needs to concentrate on the team things like reasonable delivery to your team mates, going when it is your turn and applying some decent defensive pressure when we haven't got it.

Too my mind he is at a similiar stage of his career that Dal Santo was last year and needs to held accountable for his games. If he can turn it around like Dal we will have too ripper midfielders - until then guys like Geary, Mini, & Jones should play before him bcause they play for their team mates.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

ill admit i did see him stop short of attacking the player hard, twice last night.
but that happens......gotta remember he's not exactly big and he prob doubts himself and his physical strength.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Gram is clearly in our best 22, but he has a lot of shortcomings..

I think the problem with his kicking is simply he tries to kick it way too hard...

He is naturally a decent kick, and when he toe-pokes it and focuses on technique as opposed to power, it is often precise and long...

Unfortunately he doesnt balance himself often enough, so he kicks at full pace, coupled with too much power, and more often than not the ball well spray...

All he needs is what Dal has in bucketloads... Poise...

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Gram's kicking can certainly improve but..

It was interesting to note that Neil Craig said in a post match interview that he thought Gram (and Fisher) posed as many problems to Adelaide as Dal Santo did, whilst acknowledging Dal Santo's outstanding game.

hAyES
Club Player

I've noticed that when he tries to kick it more than 50 metres, it's usually a terrible shank. Apart from the one he turned over last night his short kicking is usually pretty good.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

what he needs to work out is that when your are running flat stick, kicking the absolute s*** out of the ball will not work - you just have to use the momentum and guide it down. It is a basic skill that so many at different levels muck up time and again.

running at full pace, you just need to steady and let the momentum take the ball the 50 metres it has to go.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:Gram's disposal by hand and foot have been a problem for a while.

The difference is one player gets a lot more of the ball than the other.
That's because Jones is playing a tagging role where his opponents possessions or lack of, are a factor :idea:

Again at least two of Gram's disposals resulted in goals to the opposition.

He tries to kick the ball too hard which often results in a clanger kick and when he tries to pass the ball by foot they have too much hang time, which just leaves his team mate under pressure.

Don't get me wrong, Gram is in our best 22, but he does need to improve on his disposals by hand and foot IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Lot's of negativity thrown towards grammy,so I'll throw in some stats for statsman who was looking for some positives Gram brings to the side

Currently ranked number 1 in the league for inside 50's....might be enough to keep him in the squad this week...

Ranked 8th in the league for tackles laid....not bad for someone who doesn't know how to lay a tackle...

Has covered the most meters in the league so far..

No,Grammy isn't perfect and makes a few mistakes,probably more than many...however,as I said,his positives FAR outweigh his negatives. Not to bad for a half assed pre season

matrix
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Lot's of negativity thrown towards grammy,so I'll throw in some stats for statsman who was looking for some positives Gram brings to the side

Currently ranked number 1 in the league for inside 50's....might be enough to keep him in the squad this week...

Ranked 8th in the league for tackles laid....not bad for someone who doesn't know how to lay a tackle...

Has covered the most meters in the league so far..

No,Grammy isn't perfect and makes a few mistakes,probably more than many...however,as I said,his positives FAR outweigh his negatives. Not to bad for a half assed pre season
'noice' work 8-)
last night he had 8 inside 50's
24 disposals
6 tackles
2 clangers
2 center clearances
no frees for or against