What's improved???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

What's improved???

I know our pressure, tackling, set ups, handball and run are vast improvements but psersonally I think it's that old chest nut, our bottom few players.

The games that Geary, Dawson, Gwilt, Jones and McQualter are playing within our current structure are the catalyst for the rest to step up to the levels we expect. Those four are all doing their jobs, they're disciplined, hard at it and growing in confidence.

This takes the pressure off their team mates so they can do what they do do best knowing their backs are covered by these players and that those players can be relied upon.

Special mentions to Gilbert and Gardiner who have raised the levels of their games to those of very good players, Gilbert we always hoped would and Gardiner we prayed could return to somewhere near the players who was AA.

Zac will struggle to keep Max out once he's fit and the coaching staff are confident he can get through a full game of AFL. The others though may very well be making the likes of Raph, X, Armo, Eddy and McEvoy work their butts off playing for Sandy. This will become a domino effect as our first year players like Lynch and Heyne will see first hand (at Sandy) what the level is they will need to be playing at to even be considered.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Yep our younger players are starting to step up

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
matrix
Saintsational Legend

and they believe and trust each other, to help out one another. 8-)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

What's Improved?

Just about everything.

Pressure at the ball and the opponent.

Disposal, although further to go there.

Kicking for goal. (Hawks are in trouble with John Barker).

Bakes is back. Ball is fit. BJ is firing on all cylinders. We have 2 in form ruckmen. Kosi is contributing as he should. Dal has found form.

Best of all we're doing it without Roo being at his best.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

injuries......

How often have we had a fit

Midfield 8
Ball, Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna, Gram, Goddard, Ray, Jones

Ruck Duo
King, Gardiner

Attacking 4
Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Milne, Schnieder

Defensive 4
Gilbert, Blake, Fisher, Baker

Solar
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:injuries......

How often have we had a fit

Midfield 8
Ball, Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna, Gram, Goddard, Ray, Jones

Ruck Duo
King, Gardiner

Attacking 4
Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Milne, Schnieder

Defensive 4
Gilbert, Blake, Fisher, Baker
agree with this

add to the fact that the main core are in their prime and the coach has had 3 years to develop this game plan.

Our structure is so much better. We responded to their flood so much quicker through our half backs creating options on the wing. Our spotting up of the option and use of handball is excellent when pushing into a flood or zone.

Also I believe this team has played enough fooball together to trust and have confidence in each other. They are hunting in packs.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

and rl was ridiculed on here for getting rid of jayden attard...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I know theres 3 games to go in this round..but...at present we have TEN of the Top 50 tacklers in the comp

Amazing

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
stinger
Saintsational Legend

according to some...the whole side has improved since banger ...or is it because banger...retired...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:I know theres 3 games to go in this round..but...at present we have TEN of the Top 50 tacklers in the comp

Amazing
We have 228 tackles in three games. We weren't a bad tackling team before, but right now ... I'm at a loss for words. I really don't think I've ever seen anyone tackle the way we are right now. Harvey would have to be thinking about putting in some more mature bodies next week if he's got them. Someone could get hurt.

Our midfield is looking incredibly deep. We have four guys averaging over 8 contested possessions a game. Dal's averaging 11. With every game, Gwilt, Geary and Mini are gaining confidence and poise. That's just the midfield. Don't get me started on the back six.

I think the most room for improvement was always in the guys we already had. Picking up Ray and Dawson was a good move. The level of improvement from our guys in the 22- to 26-year old range has just been incredible. Obviously the challenge ahead is sustaining that against the top sides over the course of the whole season. I don't think you could ask much more than we've received so far though. All 23 guys who have been selected so far have contributed. They've really bought into the gameplan and are working 100% as a team. It's been a treat to watch. I hope they play like this forever.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SaintWodonga
Club Player

I wonder what effect Leigh Tudor is having...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: What's improved???

Ghost Like wrote:I know our pressure, tackling, set ups, handball and run are vast improvements but psersonally I think it's that old chest nut, our bottom few players.

The games that Geary, Dawson, Gwilt, Jones and McQualter are playing within our current structure are the catalyst for the rest to step up to the levels we expect. Those four are all doing their jobs, they're disciplined, hard at it and growing in confidence.

This takes the pressure off their team mates so they can do what they do do best knowing their backs are covered by these players and that those players can be relied upon.

Special mentions to Gilbert and Gardiner who have raised the levels of their games to those of very good players, Gilbert we always hoped would and Gardiner we prayed could return to somewhere near the players who was AA.

Zac will struggle to keep Max out once he's fit and the coaching staff are confident he can get through a full game of AFL. The others though may very well be making the likes of Raph, X, Armo, Eddy and McEvoy work their butts off playing for Sandy. This will become a domino effect as our first year players like Lynch and Heyne will see first hand (at Sandy) what the level is they will need to be playing at to even be considered.
A Big factor is CJ being a tagger this year...

Kerr had 28 disposals and 4 goals last week
this week he had 27 disposals (most under pressure) and no goals, and just 8 kicks, because of the pressure put on him...

The Sydney game up against McVeigh, McVeigh just had 16 disposals and the following week had 33 disposals (last years B &F)

CJ is averaging over 7 tackles a match, and just a brilliant inclusion to a tagging role, where his disposal does not mean that much but his opponents lack of disposal is the key.

This is just one of the keys to our improvement this year....

We have a stopper that can run and chase and if CJ can restrict a talented midfielder and reduce his effectiveness by foot or hand, that is a real bonus...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!