Clint Jones V Kerr

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saints11
Club Player

Clint Jones V Kerr

who won that battle
With 14 tackles 13 of them on Kerr I think Jones beat him easily
thoughts?
Last edited by saints11 on Sun 12 Apr 2009 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus1232
Club Player

Jones won the battle i thought kerr had little to no impact on the game i thought.
25 possies, 14 tackles and 1 goal is a fair return aswell

|Andy|
Club Player

yeh definitely jones. quality of quantity.. plus jones was quatity plus quality

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Clint Jones V Kerr

I'm a big fan of "casey" Jones. I know that the kid has had plenty of detractors within the supporters base, and that his decision making and disposals aren't always top quality, but he gives the side a lot of heart and his enthusiasm for the contest is something that has value to the side in my opinion. I do believe that giving the boy game time and persevering with him is going to pay dividends ultimately. All teams need their share of GOP's to complement the "stars".
One of the most heartening things for me yesterday (V Eagles) was the fact that Kerr was kept so quiet, and that the win was built on solid TEAM PLAY!!!
I expect the Fremantle Dockers to be no pushover, (even after todays loss to the Crows) but if we can reproduce the same levels of intensity that we saw today, then we are an excellent chance to make progress.
Good on young Clint! and good on those Sainters in Aisle 18/19 level one who got revved-up and chanted so loudly!!!
Love to all as ever

Dave :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stkfc1
Club Player

Let's see McVeigh,McCloud now Kerr. Make no mistake watching the replay

most of Kerr's disposals were made under duress and mostly ineffective

upon the game,because Jones was on his hammer. RL has found his position

and now he's relishing in it.

saintbart
Club Player

I agree that CJ beat Kerr BUT...

Did anyone else hear RL on SEN after the game. He said something like how disapponted he was as Kerr had outplayed Jones and that Kerr had won that matchup. I remember RL saying that Kerr had more influence on the footy than Jones did. The other SEN commentators basically laughed at this after with Ox then stating that RL's knowledge of the game is basically zilch if he believes that.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintbart wrote:I agree that CJ beat Kerr BUT...

Did anyone else hear RL on SEN after the game. He said something like how disapponted he was as Kerr had outplayed Jones and that Kerr had won that matchup. I remember RL saying that Kerr had more influence on the footy than Jones did. The other SEN commentators basically laughed at this after with Ox then stating that RL's knowledge of the game is basically zilch if he believes that.
Was RL maybe being sarcastic in his comments?
I didn't hear the interview so I can only presume he was trying to make a point?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

here's the audio of the interview-

http://sportal.com.au/mediaplayer/audio ... -away-5058

I'm not sure whether he was just seeing from a differant angle or trying for sarcasm

listening again I get the impression Ross was " pleased" with the result

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
markp
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

I didn't hear the interview so I can only presume he was trying to make a point?
He's just giving them (the media) nothing.... and I'd guess he's a man who is sparing with praise and keen to discourage players from resting on their laurels.

From what I heard he didn't say he was disappointed or anything either, just that he thought Kerr may have slightly won the match-up in the end.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Matters not what the sound bites say - on paper it is evidenced - last year if CJ was lined up on Kerr - everyone - media - supporters and players would have groaned knowing we were going to reamed by Kerr!

This year - CJ to Kerr - we all knew he would make a contest of it - and he did with flying colours!

But more importantly - the kid was named by RL as being equal to Kerr's challenge - not as a last resort - Bakes was in the team - but as the preferred option.

Say what you like after the game - RL made CJ's day by naming him against Kerr!

McVeigh, McLeod, Kerr - CJ has bested them!!!!

CJ - I wear your jumper with PRIDE!

Believe or Burn!!!!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

He's just giving them (the media) nothing.... and I'd guess he's a man who is sparing with praise and keen to discourage players from resting on their laurels.

From what I heard he didn't say he was disappointed or anything either, just that he thought Kerr may have slightly won the match-up in the end.
Agreed markp, I'm sure what RL says to the media as opposed to what he says in front of the players is quite different, he's definately one who 'keeps his powder dry' (much like his wit). I'm sure CJ received a well deserved pat on the back from the coaching staff and the players with a final sentence something like, "This is your benchmark, don't lose your intensity or concentration and we expect you to improve.", ringing in his ears.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:
markp wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Agreed markp, I'm sure what RL says to the media as opposed to what he says in front of the players is quite different, he's definately one who 'keeps his powder dry' (much like his wit). I'm sure CJ received a well deserved pat on the back from the coaching staff and the players with a final sentence something like, "This is your benchmark, don't lose your intensity or concentration and we expect you to improve.", ringing in his ears.
Exactly, raise the bar or set this as the benchmark... don't act like he exceeded his potential and expectations.

Personally I like RL's approach.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I would say that RL was being sarcastic, Jones kicked 1:2 and his last shot could have easily been the last goal of the match, but was tackled during his kick and the ball moved to the right.

Jones also had at least a couple of goal assists, I know the first goal from Goddard was a bullet pass from Jones.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Both Rohan Connolly ini the Age and Nathan Thompson on the Sunday Footy Show gave him 9 votes and clear BOG status

Has totally won the crowds over too it seems..the roar when he headed for goal in the last 10 secs to try and get us that 100pt lead was almost reminiscent of a game in 2004 with a certain No #40 with the ball in his hands. Would have blown the roof off even though it was open if he'd managed to snag it

Big man-crush atm :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Great game from Jones. Kerr was amazing given how close Jones was playing him. Jones did a great job of limiting his impact though. No scores, no score assists, no inside 50s, no marks, very little in the way of handball receives. Kerr had to win most of his touches himself and fire off quick handballs. Jones also ran off Kerr and hurt West Coast the other way. That's what the really good taggers do. They don't just stop their opponent, they hurt the opposition the other way.

IMO RL was looking too closely at the CP column. I imagine when he reviews the game he'll realise that Jones/Kerr was a huge win.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

You're never going to stop Kerr getting the ball you can only try to limit his effect on the game and that's exactly what Jones did. Kerr only had 8 kicks and his impact on the game was minimal.
I thought it was a similar story with Cox. I couldn't believe when they showed the stats during the first half and Cox was one of the leading possession winners. I thought Gards was excellent. Did a great job in the ruck and kicked two goals.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i reckon in the first half it was jones easily. in the second half, i gained an appreciation for just how good kerr is, because i think he leveled the scores by the end. he just kept going, all day, and despite having jones on his hammer every time, he still managed to get the ball in close and usually got it out to a teammate. huge strength and composure; he did get a little annoyed but i was amazed that it wasn't more. a hard tag like that must be horribly frustrating.

but still a great performance from jones, including all the possessions he had running off. 25 touches and 1.2 is a decent game even when you're not trying to lock down another player.

saints11
Club Player

I heard that and I thought it was a pretty stupid comment after they listened to it Ox said that kerr had no impact on the game as most of his disposals were handballs

Marcus1232
Club Player

I think RL saying that CJ got beat was more to keep a lid on it so that he keeps playing to the level that he has been playing at.

savatage
SS Life Member

What a load of crap. He wasn't derogatory - he didn't say he was "disappointed" - he just said he thought Kerr took the points.

Clearly keeping a lid on Clinton Jones. To me it was obvious what RL was doing.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:What a load of crap. He wasn't derogatory - he didn't say he was "disappointed" - he just said he thought Kerr took the points.

Clearly keeping a lid on Clinton Jones. To me it was obvious what RL was doing.
.... you gotta be right.....jones took kerr out of the game in the first half...when it really mattered....also stopped him getting the ball into their forward 50 by stopping kerr's run...forced him to handball..........jones for mine...but i know what ross was doing.......even though he s a bit of a hard task master at times......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Both Rohan Connolly ini the Age and Nathan Thompson on the Sunday Footy Show gave him 9 votes and clear BOG status

Has totally won the crowds over too it seems..the roar when he headed for goal in the last 10 secs to try and get us that 100pt lead was almost reminiscent of a game in 2004 with a certain No #40 with the ball in his hands. Would have blown the roof off even though it was open if he'd managed to snag it

Big man-crush atm :-)

and there is nothing wrong with that..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....good post....

..ps ...cj is a good looking young man....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Personally I thought Jones broke the close tag applied by Kerr and came out on top.

Jones will have to get used to being tagged by the likes of Kerr Judd and Cooney - but going on Saturday he will be able to break the tag and beat them. :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Solar
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Personally I thought Jones broke the close tag applied by Kerr and came out on top.

Jones will have to get used to being tagged by the likes of Kerr Judd and Cooney - but going on Saturday he will be able to break the tag and beat them. :wink:
some wag on saturday, after CJ ran off kerr to kick that goal

"they will make a tagger of you one day kerr"

:wink:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Legendary
Club Player