will the goose return this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints94
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:I can't believe people are wanting Geary dropped still...

He has been our fourth most prolific tackler in a side that has been building wins around tackling... He has also shown a couple of moment of magic which to me indicate he has the potential to take his game to another level...

IMO he should stay in the side as a forward stopper, CJ has forced his spot in the midfield so Geary should take his old role, Geary can give the oppositions rebounding defenders something to worry about and also apply immense pressure when they've got the ball.
I agree with you Armoo................ they want Geary dropped for X :roll:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:We need to consider bringing the Goose back soon and especially when playing weaker sides.

Goose was once close to the best CHB in the comp, he may never return to that form after what he's been through, we need find that out and the only way is by rolling the dice. But we cannot have him and Max coming back at the same time, this would put too much pressure on our back six.

IMO opinion Goose needs to come back in the next couple of weeks, followed by Max a couple of weeks after. We need to know by about the mid way mark of the season whether these guys are going to be part of our finals campaign.

This needs to achieved with as little disruption to the side as possible, who would be dropped I'm not sure as yet...tough call.
Not a bad theory at all.

I was against changes, but having Goose play at CHB this week would be an excellent time to re-introduce him into senior football.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Won't happen. Our defence is functioning beautifully at the moment. Why change it? The only possible omission would be Dawson and he'll stay in until Max is right.
If Goose wants to get a game he's going to have to be patient and prove he deserves a game by displaying some form in the VFL.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

He has been our fourth most prolific tackler in a side that has been building wins around tackling... He has also shown a couple of moment of magic which to me indicate he has the potential to take his game to another level...

IMO he should stay in the side as a forward stopper, CJ has forced his spot in the midfield so Geary should take his old role, Geary can give the oppositions rebounding defenders something to worry about and also apply immense pressure when they've got the ball.
is also a very good mark for his size, nice long arms for a midfielder

no chance kiddies, no change!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:

is also a very good mark for his size, nice long arms for a midfielder

no chance kiddies, no change!
Yep there is a bit to like about Geary, I can't believe that some posters wanted him delisted after his first season as a rookie.

He will only get better, and to win the Best and Fairest for Bendigo under 18s ahead of Joel Selwood, means to me that he is a player and a player for our future

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
rexy
SS Life Member

Whilst i cant see anyone who obviously deserves to be dropped and I agree that we need to be completely sure on the fitness and form of any player who is bought in, regardles of their reputation. I disagree with the never change a winning side mentality, would rather make a posotive change based on key indicators observed by the coaching panel and stay a winning side than wait until we lose and then make a change for the next week? Teams like Brisbane Geelong Essendon and Hawthorn have gone on long winning streaks in recent times, their sides have not remained unchanged due to this though.

At the end of the day a fit Max or Goose are better players than Dawson or Blake for that matter. A fit Raph is a better player than Gwilt and a fit X is a better player than CJ, Geary Schneider or mini. IMO. They may all get a run at a some stage and prove not to be better any longer and if so will be duely dropped again, but at this stage that is how i see it.

Maybe this year?
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I can't wait to see Goose again.
However, his time is not now.
Needs to be in the first half of the year though.
He is a natural leader and hard man who makes others stand tall like Bakes

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'd put money on

None
Zilch
Zippo
Nardo

Changes this week.

NIL Changes puts out a very strong message to the comp.

As for Schneids - he'll be in for sure, and most likely fire and kick 5 goals.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Not a snowmans chance in hell.(At least not this week) :wink:

santazzi
Club Player

This is a very interesting thread as it reminds me of a recent convestion I had with a soccer crazy freind of mine. He follows Europian as well us Aussie soccer big time.
He asked me over to watch the last international match Australia played a couple of weeks ago.
At the end of the game I commented how awed I was at the fitness level of the aussie players who played for their club a day before, flew in, playeyed a game for their country and flew out the next day and play in some championship for their club the next day or so...........
this started a rather lengthy debate he insisting on how precious AFL players were complaining about 5 or 6 days breaks....and i trying to point out how diffrent the two games were and the physicality of AFL etc.......and he pointing out players in the Europian league actually having two to three demanding games a week in various competion etc...etc...............

At the end, the lesson i took was that he pointed out to me the massive diferrence in style/attitude between soccer coaches/manager and AFl coaches.

Soccer managers tend to mange their players over the long season. This involves regular planned rest whether the player is in hot form or not. AFL coaches tend to play their players until they are injured/suspended or run out of form.............

So I think Lyon is probably thinking along the line of the soccer manager.....you can leave inform players to keep on improving and getting more and more match fitness in the less intense comp with the zebras.........this players are all deadly weapons in the weeks to come and he can then rest some of his star performers at will............just a thought...!!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

For anyone suggesting dropping sneider - go have a look at his goal assists/efforts that have resulted in scoring opportunities for others. No way known hed be dropped.

Goose - no chance. Needs to play WELL consistently before coing back (he was struggling to do this pre-broken leg).

Max - Nup.Its a calf they take longer and hes old.

X - Id like to see in for Mqualter. No,Mqualter hasnt been bad but IMO X's output is greater than Mini's.

Raph will be interesting when fit....Dawsons done enough....not been overawed.....great to see spots just not handed back.

“Yeah….nah””
Schillaci
Club Player

Goose is still many weeks away IMO.

Max should come straight into the side when he's right to go...Dawson will probably be the unlucky one.

Raph should waltz straight back into the team when he's right as well...let Goose get a string of games under his belt as he's been rushed back in before and it didn't work out very well at all.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Schillaci wrote:Goose is still many weeks away IMO.

Max should come straight into the side when he's right to go...Dawson will probably be the unlucky one.

Raph should waltz straight back into the team when he's right as well...let Goose get a string of games under his belt as he's been rushed back in before and it didn't work out very well at all.
Tell me what has Dawson done wrong to get the axe if Max is fit and ready?
Last edited by Saints94 on Thu 16 Apr 2009 10:05am, edited 1 time in total.

Schillaci
Club Player

Saints94 wrote:

Tell me what has Sawson done wrong to get the axe if Max is fit and ready?
Nothing. I said he'd be unlucky...just that Max is our best defender and comes straight back in for mine...automatic selection.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Schillaci wrote:
Saints94 wrote:

Tell me what has Sawson done wrong to get the axe if Max is fit and ready?
Nothing. I said he'd be unlucky...just that Max is our best defender and comes straight back in for mine...automatic selection.
Yeah but if Dawson and Max play in defence then that releases Chips into the midfield with BJ and Grammy

Schillaci
Club Player

Nothing. I said he'd be unlucky...just that Max is our best defender and comes straight back in for mine...automatic selection.[/quote]Yeah but if Dawson and Max play in defence then that releases Chips into the midfield with BJ and Grammy[/quote]

That works for me too but someone's has to come out for Max.
Max is probably still 1-2 weeks away so injuries/suspensions dare I say it may factor at selection time in the weeks ahead.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Schillaci wrote:Nothing. I said he'd be unlucky...just that Max is our best defender and comes straight back in for mine...automatic selection.
Yeah but if Dawson and Max play in defence then that releases Chips into the midfield with BJ and Grammy[/quote]

That works for me too but someone's has to come out for Max.
Max is probably still 1-2 weeks away so injuries/suspensions dare I say it may factor at selection time in the weeks ahead.[/quote]Well we should take out Gwilt or Mini.