INS: X.Clarke, Mc Evoy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Personally I find it amazing that this discussion has filled 3 pages while nobody has suggested Gilbert play forward. This was the big talk all pre-season... was Gilbo crap in the role, or what?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Had Kozi or even another tall who can take a grab, have played at FF against Freo for the entire night. we would have won by even more. A good team effort is what will beat Port, who attack well from their backline. I still think it would be McEvoy for Kozi if Kozi is out.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Personally I find it amazing that this discussion has filled 3 pages while nobody has suggested Gilbert play forward. This was the big talk all pre-season... was Gilbo crap in the role, or what?
no, he's a very good player who can play at either end.

he's been absolutely flying in the backline, but him playing forward is certainly an option.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:PA Game.

Ok Kosi will not play.

Conditions: Will be Friday night outside and such games are often slippery over there.

Therefore we may not necessarily go like for like....and an extra small may be preferred.
If so this will most likely be X.

Other Options

Goose is not quite ripe, but is looking ok. Therefore if a big body is preferred Goose may be the man. This would mean rotating Zac, Gilbert, BJ all through the forward line.

Like for like. McEvoy rucking still leaves a lot to be desired but he has been moving and marking very well. This option does have the advantage that you gets to have another look at McEvoy at AFL level...and this may be handy to know if someone breaks down come finals time. However the downside is that Ports run and pace out of their backline has caused us troubles in the past.
if you don't have kosi in and you don't go for like to like, the possibily of just 'kicking it to Roo' as what partially happened in the freemantle game would happen even more so in the port game! You need another tall to counteract this.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:the possibily of just 'kicking it to Roo' as what partially happened in the freemantle game would happen even more so in the port game!
he's such a good player it is something we'll always have to be wary of.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

X in as a utility with Goddard resting up forward from midfield efforts.

McEvoy simply means we have three large, lumbering, slow types. Over there we'll need run.

X to get his comeback chance.

Where's Raph Clarke at?

JABBER
Club Player

ins X Clarke Mc Evoy

in R Eddy
out Kosi

trevor barker
Mr X from the West
Club Player

Just on Gram - saw him on tele on the weekend and he had trouble talking, sounded like he had a virus. That could have contributed to what some on here perceive as being a "below par" performance from him on the weekend.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx
"Do you bring up a defender to free up a runner or do you bring in McEvoy who was probably best on the ground (for Sandringham) and [Michael Gardiner] can play a bit more up forward?" Lyon said.

"You love continuity in the group but that’s a fact we’ve got to deal with and we’re paid to make decisions and pull the right reign and I’m a bit nervous about it at the minute."

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Re: ins X Clarke Mc Evoy

JABBER wrote:in R Eddy
out Kosi
I suspect this willbe correct....

Eddy has been our first emergency for the past few weeks, and RL often just replaces with next cab off the rank, not like for like..

Eddy in, only change...

SaintSimmo
Club Player

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Im glad ive got some support on this. Look Im not trying to be mean I love grammy but he seems a little complacent OR then again he could be slightly injured.

Whatever it is Xaviers disposal would be better and deserves a chance (we forget how good he is) and everyone wont be so easy on Gram when his disposal costs us 4-5 goals against port or the doggies in the next few weeks!

Gram got 64 dream team points and had what countless possies what does that tell ya?
I Have no idea what you are on about gram has been in our best 5 players each week so far this year. I feel that gram is excatly what we need in our team a player that runs fast down through the corridor and bombs in long towards goal. Ok Gram sometimes turns it over but he does alot more things that help us then turning it over. Now i almost died of laughter when i read you wrote xavier clarkes disposal is better than grams, xavier clarke can not kick more than 30 meters and he falls over every time he gets the ball. BTW....When has gram ever cost us 4 or 5 goals a game???? tell me.

Also just so you know dream team is make believe...ITS NOT REAL..who cares how many points he got its not how many points he gets in supercoach and dream team its what he does in the game.

This Week Changes: Out: Kosi IN: Eddy or Steven.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx
"Do you bring up a defender to free up a runner or do you bring in McEvoy who was probably best on the ground (for Sandringham) and [Michael Gardiner] can play a bit more up forward?" Lyon said.

"You love continuity in the group but that’s a fact we’ve got to deal with and we’re paid to make decisions and pull the right reign and I’m a bit nervous about it at the minute."
This sounds to me like he is looking at either Begley or McEvoy, with neither Eddy nor X getting a look in. My money is therefore on Begley.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

This sounds to me like he is looking at either Begley or McEvoy, with neither Eddy nor X getting a look in. My money is therefore on Begley.
Following that line..Howard could be a smokey.

He has played well this year in shut down roles in defence and has good pace...as does PA with some quick players on their list.

Lyon does however often punt on the experienced side.

However he also clearly pick players for roles he has in mind and is not afraid to pick whivever player he best believes can fill that role.
ie Attard a bit back...and Gwilt this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

4 straight solid wins, top ladder leaders with over 200 percentage (almost double to next team below us), playing great team formula yeah lets mix it up and make some changes and drop some players. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:4 straight solid wins, top ladder leaders with over 200 percentage (almost double to next team below us), playing great team formula yeah lets mix it up and make some changes and drop some players. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Forced change. Injury. We need to pick a replacement for Kosi.

So you're suggesting we go in one short?

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:4 straight solid wins, top ladder leaders with over 200 percentage (almost double to next team below us), playing great team formula yeah lets mix it up and make some changes and drop some players. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Forced change. Injury. We need to pick a replacement for Kosi.

So you're suggesting we go in one short?
No I'm suggesting we make Kosi play Injured. I'm sure it's obvious I'm talking about dumping Gram.

sax
Club Player

Only one change I reckon. X in for Kosi. Tall for a small. Meant to be really wet here in SA between Thursday and Saturday.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ross lyon said: "You love continuity in the group but that’s a fact we’ve got to deal with and we’re paid to make decisions and pull the right reign and I’m a bit nervous about it at the minute."
good quote and i can see where he is coming from.

it is easy for us armchair coaches to make the calls, but he is the one who has to carry the can and accept responsibility for the decisions.

it would be more difficult in big testing games like this one, particularly with our lousy record against them.

saintjake
Club Player

gilbo has been flying down back
dont move him.
lenny said that he wants to make the CHB role his own,
so obviously he wants to be down back.
and he is the best match up for motlop

i wouldnt be big mac in.
we have 2 very nice ruckman atm, if we bring him in we will be to heavy.
thats why,
option 1 - goddard plays foward covers kosi.
bring in goose to play down back.
i know your all saying his isnt fit enough, but i watch the game on the weekend, and he isnt that far off, certainly not 4-6 weeks.
he was never a high earning player, good body on body and spoiling.
could easily go to tredrea (yes he has kicked 12 in 2 games, but it was against melb and the hawks, no backline to speak of)
would also free up sam fisher, who has been tied up in recent weeks.

jason blake would play on chad cornes.
gilbo to motlop
baker to ebert.

or we could bring in x (who does not look like he is really working that hard in the 2's not chasing to hard, at all)
play him foward, for pressure (but lack of hight then)
goddard goes back.
sam fisher to tredrea. we lose his run like we did against freo

or we bring in goose.
blake goes foward.
goddard to cornes.
still have fisher free to cut off passes, and to go to as back up
gilbo to motlop and goose to tredrea

i think it is important to try and get fisher free
to cut across and help out
and fill the whole
and to get his run back

thoughts?

Schillaci
Club Player

[quote="Thinline"]X in as a utility with Goddard resting up forward from midfield efforts.

McEvoy simply means we have three large, lumbering, slow types. Over there we'll need run.

X to get his comeback chance.

Where's Raph Clarke at?[/quote]

ST KILDA
Max Hudghton (calf) 1-2 weeks
Justin Koschitzke (hamstring) 1-2 weeks
Jarryd Allen (hip) indefinite
Sean Dempster (knee) indefinite

Off the injury list according to the Herald Sun...so IMO...

Out: Kosi
In: R.Clarke

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Where's Raph Clarke at?
no-one's really factored him in, have they.

very good emerging player who was one of our best performed in the finals last season and i thought was BOG until injured in Round 1.

being short of a run coming back from injury might count against him, but who knows.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote:
CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Im glad ive got some support on this. Look Im not trying to be mean I love grammy but he seems a little complacent OR then again he could be slightly injured.

Whatever it is Xaviers disposal would be better and deserves a chance (we forget how good he is) and everyone wont be so easy on Gram when his disposal costs us 4-5 goals against port or the doggies in the next few weeks!

Gram got 64 dream team points and had what countless possies what does that tell ya?
I Have no idea what you are on about gram has been in our best 5 players each week so far this year. I feel that gram is excatly what we need in our team a player that runs fast down through the corridor and bombs in long towards goal. Ok Gram sometimes turns it over but he does alot more things that help us then turning it over. Now i almost died of laughter when i read you wrote xavier clarkes disposal is better than grams, xavier clarke can not kick more than 30 meters and he falls over every time he gets the ball. BTW....When has gram ever cost us 4 or 5 goals a game???? tell me.

Also just so you know dream team is make believe...ITS NOT REAL..who cares how many points he got its not how many points he gets in supercoach and dream team its what he does in the game.

This Week Changes: Out: Kosi IN: Eddy or Steven.
Spot on

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
Where's Raph Clarke at?
no-one's really factored him in, have they.

very good emerging player who was one of our best performed in the finals last season and i thought was BOG until injured in Round 1.

being short of a run coming back from injury might count against him, but who knows.
He won't be back in without a spell in the twos.
Raf Clarke could come in and play AFL football, but the game is so intense and so brutal that if you're not conditioned … we won't take the risk
Whoever gets the gig in Kosi's absence, will probably do so on the understanding that they will be back in the twos the following week. Unless there's an injury or suspension, or the Saints lose, I think they will be loath to drop players.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Personally I find it amazing that this discussion has filled 3 pages while nobody has suggested Gilbert play forward. This was the big talk all pre-season... was Gilbo crap in the role, or what?
Once Max returns...he may.

However his football has been so outstanding across HB that Lyon may be reluctant to move him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

So what are we thinking with match selections now due to the weather?
Rain and windy. Kosi tweaking the hammy and missing 1 may be a blessing in disguise,as he's generally terrible in those conditions.

I wouldn't be bringing in the big Mac for him,be a poor choice if they did imo. Clarke and Eddy are the two stand out choices. X can play in the wet,and Eddy's game is suited to these conditions also. Be interested too see which way they go.

I think the wind might actually suit us in a slug fest. We might be able to bottle up and choke players like Rodan and Motlop around goal. It will be back to basics football, let's hope our players remember how to play that

Bring back the Lockett era