Sack pain burns Grant Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintm
Club Player

Perhaps Hutchy is "beating up" the story to attract more viewers to Footy Classified tomorrow night.....

kaos theory
Club Player

In Thomas' defence (and I can't stand the guy), he was asked a direct question on his online blog about what he regretted about his time at the Saints.

The journalists did the rest.

It's not like he set out to whinge
All he has to say was something like: "We had our differences, but nothing much is gained going over old ground...etc."

Its not hard.

But what a stupid, immature and unthurthful thing to say. So, after years of failure, just when the club was getting some rare success, the board was trying to engineer his & the team's failure???

What a joke. I'm no RB fan, but to suggest that RB and the board were trying create conditions so that team failed is madness, and in my book liable.

The man is a disgrace. FFS, shut up & move on.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
In Thomas' defence (and I can't stand the guy), he was asked a direct question on his online blog about what he regretted about his time at the Saints.

All he has to say was something like: "We had our differences, but nothing much is gained going over old ground...etc."

Its not hard.

But what a stupid, immature and unthurthful thing to say. So, after years of failure, just when the club was getting some rare success, the board was trying to engineer his & the team's failure???

What a joke. I'm no RB fan, but to suggest that RB and the board were trying create conditions so that team failed is madness, and in my book liable.

spot on with comments

disgrace?? hmm but yes move on.

saint4life
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:

Its not hard.

says it all really.

still....we'll get some supporter telling us all on here to "move on"...maybe they should tell Grant?

Say nothing Rod - perhaps the greatest act as President you did was cut out this leech finally....I mean what a joke "Board willed me to fail"...what a turnip.

Im tippin Lyons success is killing this clown......keep winning Roscoe.....lets do him week by week.... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Its not hard.

says it all really.

still....we'll get some supporter telling us all on here to "move on"...maybe they should tell Grant?

Say nothing Rod - perhaps the greatest act as President you did was cut out this leech finally....I mean what a joke "Board willed me to fail"...what a turnip.

Im tippin Lyons success is killing this clown......keep winning Roscoe.....lets do him week by week.... :wink:
Teflon - when I saw that you had posted on this thread, I could almost predict what you'd written before I read it. You're even more predictable than the Darwin weather. :roll: :roll:

Yet, I agree with you. By choosing to comment on the matter even as much as he did, GT showed a distinct lack of class. And I agree that he is probably hurting a bit ATM. I think he'd do better to stick to talking about other stuff: Terry Wallace's problems, the umps, etc.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I thought the OP was about a medical problem.

Glad to know his scrotum is okay.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:Im tippin Lyons success is killing this clown......keep winning Roscoe.....lets do him week by week.... :wink:
It's like the classic Paul Keating barb to the opposition in Parliament (and I can see it oh so clearly!) ......

"I want to do you slowly"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:

As bizarre as that claim is I was interested to note that Thomas has not actually said that was his belief but it was the belief of his Assistant Coaches. Whilst not a GT fan I thought he was better than to use a phrase that hides him behind others to get a thought out there.

This will go on for years, the media know that if they want some sort of adverse story about St Kilda they can just call GT or RB and bait them for a comment. It appears now GT can't wait for the reporters so is opening himself up on a blog to be fed leading questions by supporters.

We may very well be a working experiment in perpetual motion as we continue this GT saga.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Slow news day????? We had about 3 threads on this last week!
Storm in a tea cup. Time to focus on Port!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Slow news day????? We had about 3 threads on this last week!
It is and somehow I think your pushing proverbial up hill if you thibnk supporters on a saints footy site arent gonna comment on a petulant ex coaches continued mud slinging about their club.

Just aint gonna happen - Id just accept that IMO.

“Yeah….nah””
linz
Club Player

Ego is not a dirty word for individuals. Too many egos can cause problems particularly when opinions diverge.

I am glad they're both gone to be honest.

I respect Stan Alves for looking back on his coaching tenure & laughing about his rough deal & still supporting the Saints. I can't say the same about Grant right now.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Buckets
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
It is and somehow I think your pushing proverbial up hill if you thibnk supporters on a saints footy site arent gonna comment on a petulant ex coaches continued mud slinging about their club.

That's your opinion and you quite able to have that. I just believe IMO that yet another thread on something that has already been covered on this site last week. We just seem to rehash old arguments and get nowhere!
Time to focus on the field and how the boys are travelling right now!
We are currently 4-0 and have probably have the biggest month of football for the year! Time to get onboard and forget about things that really dont have an effect on the playing or coaching staff. Let them to the talking with their results.

If we want to complain about something maybe it should be that Hutchy was doing what he always does and that was writing total dribble like he does all the time :shock:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Teflon wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Its not hard.

says it all really.

Teflon - when I saw that you had posted on this thread, I could almost predict what you'd written before I read it. You're even more predictable than the Darwin weather. :roll: :roll:

Yet, I agree with you. By choosing to comment on the matter even as much as he did, GT showed a distinct lack of class. And I agree that he is probably hurting a bit ATM. I think he'd do better to stick to talking about other stuff: Terry Wallace's problems, the umps, etc.
Look to be truthful I like everyone am sick of this clown but I am glad in many ways....cause while people like you pretend that I "just dont like him" blah blah blah...the fool himself proves my point.

I had concerns very early days of Grant Thomas the repetitious cliches wore thin on me early (sure sign for me...someone in the top job doesnt really have a plan to be honest...big hi to "Kev Rudd" also...).

I was against Butters going to be honest. I didnt vote for Westaway.

I truly see now that Butters had to go cause even though his administration oversaw our financial future in many respects...theyd also sewn their own demise with a shonky appointment of a man who as one poster eloquently described "speaks with forked tongue". My only annoyance is that this man BEFORE St Kilda and Butters allowed it to happen had NO authority as an AFL coach (FFS he coached Warnambool...) now he'll use our club every chance he gets to have a shot at the previous administraion to somehow validate himself as credentialled to the footy world (and explain away any deficiencies he had as a coach..."it wasnt me it was the Board...Training Services or good old John Beveridge...."... :roll: )

I admire Sheedy - he steps away in bitter circumstances with many at Essendon.....and maintains his dignity and integrity. Cant say Thomas has Im afraid.

I also get the feeling your slowly coming to recognise this, again just like you eventually came round to Lyon....I guess it takes some longer....regardless...welcome.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
Teflon wrote:

That's your opinion and you quite able to have that. I just believe IMO that yet another thread on something that has already been covered on this site last week. We just seem to rehash old arguments and get nowhere!
We are currently 4-0 and have probably have the biggest month of football for the year! Time to get onboard and forget about things that really dont have an effect on the playing or coaching staff. Let them to the talking with their results.

If we want to complain about something maybe it should be that Hutchy was doing what he always does and that was writing total dribble like he does all the time :shock:
And thats your opinion and good luck to you also - theres plenty of other game threads for you if your angst at these topical and dare I say "current' Thomas discussions upset you.

Why blame Hutchy for reporting what Thomas said.....thats just odd IMO. As has been pointed out...there were many other answers open to Grant that he KNOWS would attract far less publicity....ahh...but theres the rub.....its the publicty he wants...

“Yeah….nah””
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:I admire Sheedy - he steps away in bitter circumstances with many at Essendon.....and maintains his dignity and integrity. Cant say Thomas has Im afraid
And so in lies the difference between a 4 time Premiership coach who's all class and a 2 time Preliminary Finalist coach!

Buckets
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
Buckets wrote:
Teflon wrote:

And thats your opinion and good luck to you also - theres plenty of other game threads for you if your angst at these topical and dare I say "current' Thomas discussions upset you.

Why blame Hutchy for reporting what Thomas said.....thats just odd IMO. As has been pointed out...there were many other answers open to Grant that he KNOWS would attract far less publicity....ahh...but theres the rub.....its the publicty he wants...
Very true.
Grant has to move on and so do we.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Grant who????

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Buckets wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Very true.
Grant has to move on and so do we.
Do we? why?

We are nobody's on the internet.

To some...Grant is the father of modern st kilda....(he even had the russians in for weight loss....maybe Stalin?)

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote: ....If memory serves me right, he was the one who wanted to control everything, including the football department.....

Your memory is misguided.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:
THEY ARE NOT STKFC THEY ARE NOBODIES LOOKING FOR AN EGO BOOST
Exactly.

Which is why I'm constantly staggered at the amount of interest people have in this stuff.

Some people are even worried that this sort of stuff could destabilize us on-field??!!!!

Hilarious.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Thomas and Butters, both destructive egotists. Lyon now coach, Saints on top of the ladder.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I also get the feeling your slowly coming to recognise this, again just like you eventually came round to Lyon....I guess it takes some longer....regardless...welcome.
FWIW (because who really cares what I think, or you think, or anyone else on here thinks)..........

My view on Lyon has definitely changed: I thought he was a defensively-minded coach fixated on trying to get the opposition to kick to contests and thereby creating turnovers or stoppages. The corralling nonsense and ridiculous stuff like making Gehrig and Milne retreat into the back half of the field made me want to puke.

After the middle of last season things started to get better. And then, in the NAB cup game against the Lions, we saw a huge transformation when Lyon took over from SoS and suddenly we were attacking, tackling like mad, etc. We looked again as we had done under the last few years of GT and our first few games under Lyon in 2007 until everything suddenly changed (for reasons that I still don't really understand - although a mass of injuries, especially the one to BJ, certainly didn't help).

My view on GT remains what it was since 2001. The man is a fatuous wanker, albeit one with a fair bit of native intelligence and a gift of the gab. But what I like about the guy is his swagger. He was the first coach at the Saints since the 1970s who made us walk tall and look straight in the eye of the wankers on the AFL Commission, the umpires and "blue ribbon clubs" like the Scumbags, Bummers and Filth.

This was the good side of GT: it is why we have risen from being one of the jokes of the competition to becoming consistently one of the top teams while others such as the Tigers and Freo have continued to struggle in the pits.

A balanced view of GT appreciates these qualities, along with the negative aspects (which, as is often the case with leaders, are more or less two sides of the same coin: ie, people with a lot of self-confidence can also be wankers).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

There is a job coming up at Richmond that would suit him to a tee!
Bottom club needs a re-build - could he do it? Would they have him?
It would get him off our back .... then he can fatuously wank somewhere else - pretend he can coach and blame everyone else when he ultimately fails - lol

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think that there are only about 2 people left that have not realised that GT obtained job by deceit that he was not competent to do...

Just as well there as Bundy to do some strategy or we would really have been up the creek a lot earlier

Thing is when the "leader" does not really understand the business he is in control of it is only a matter of time before things full apart...which they did.

Could the last "believer" turn the light out and close the door after them.

Thanks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Shaggy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:I think that there are only about 2 people left that have not realised that GT obtained job by deceit that he was not competent to do...

Just as well there as Bundy to do some strategy or we would really have been up the creek a lot earlier

Thing is when the "leader" does not really understand the business he is in control of it is only a matter of time before things full apart...which they did.

Could the last "believer" turn the light out and close the door after them.

Thanks.
Whilst you do not see it or understand it SR there are a hell of alot of people around Australia now who need some-one like GT who will walk into their bust business and turn it around before the accountants come.

GT did it with support but he brought them in ... RB, Bundy etc. So you are right it was the GT show.

But he did take us from bottom to finals in 3 years with a bottom budget which also made us financially better (even if we are still not stable). They also believed in youth and we are enjoying the benefits today (compared to the tigers and Wallace :D ).

On the contrary you think its great to accept a retrenchment package when a company has financial trouble :D ... who should one really respect ... the fixer or the quitter :shock:.