Frankston move - the plot thickens

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Craw
Club Player

Frankston move - the plot thickens

Frankston may fold as AFL funds dry up

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/fr ... tml?page=2

What intrigues me the most is this
Barry said the Dolphins' potential path to joining last year's VFL team Tasmania Devils on the extinction list began when they expected St Kilda to form an AFL alignment after ending an association with Casey Scorpions last season.

The Saints will move to an $11 million training facility at Belvedere Park in Frankston next season but ignored the Dolphins and signed with Sandringham for two years after Melbourne forged an alignment with Casey.

"We expected that they (St Kilda) would have talked to us about it and they should have but they didn't. There's a lot of fors and againsts for alignments and one of the fors is the financial gain. As it stands right now, there's no available AFL partners."
My understanding is that they (Frankston) didn't want anything to with us.

Something doesn't add up here..... :?:

Not Craw, CRAW!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Frankston have always said we are a stand alone team and not interested in a AFL team.

But seeming the saints didn't ask maybe it's an excuse.

zebraman
Club Player

FRANKSTON FOOTBALL CLUB -

Front page of their web site

Quote "working together to stand alone"

That has been Frankston's choice since 2000 when the 1st of the alignments started..

They have chosen to go down the stand alone path...that is their choice...they could have tried the alignment path but they chose not to

Can't go around blaming St Kilda for not talking to them when they had made it perfectly clear that they did not wish to align with an AFL club

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

unfortunately the plot doesnt thicken. not relevant to saints.

saints will remain affiiliated with zebras and have training venue at belvedere.

im not sure frankston vfl team has anything to do with price of fish in taiwan.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Over the years the Saints have approached Frankston on at least three occasions to be affiliated with them and Frankston has refused.

A few years ago Carlton also approached Frankston and they refused.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
GrumpyOne

Bit poor for Frankston to expect us to approach them. :shock:

They should have been knocking hard on our door. :roll:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:Over the years the Saints have approached Frankston on at least three occasions to be affiliated with them and Frankston has refused.

A few years ago Carlton also approached Frankston and they refused.
thats how I remember it.....

very very strange comment to make

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
casey scorp
Club Player

An important thing to appreciate is that there's a different President in place now at Frankston.

The previous President while wanting to maintain a stand-alone status, was expecting that things might develop over time with the Saints based at Frankston Park.

What also would change over time was the General Manager. Nobody at Frankston was going to push for an alignment between Frankston & St Kilda, or even enthusiastically embrace the Saints going to Frankston Park, while Bryan Mace was the GM. He was, and is, passionate about the Dolphins and couldn't stand the thought of the Saints even getting a toehold at Frankston Park.

However, I think eveyone expected such an alignment would develop over time. In the interim, Frankston expected that St Kilda would maintain its alignment with the Scorpions, and at what would have been considered an appropriate time (ie new GM) the two clubs would have embraced each other in an alignment. The Scorps would have been left out in the cold.

The comments in the article don't make sense, and don't reflect the views of Frankston FC at the time.

The decision by St Kilda and Sandy to ditch their respective partners and sign an alignment in June 2008 threw the cat among the pigeons. Fortunately for the Scorps, Melbourne was already interested in developing a presence at Casey Fields, and an alignment with the Scorps became a logical extension once St Kilda had broken the alignment.

Those two changes left Frankston without the prospect of an AFL partner, and in the current climate that's a problem for them.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

hmm teams in the VFL struggling without a AFL club........

I can see in the near future only clubs aligned with a AFL club will be alive and the VFL will become a proper AFL reserves comp.

Nth Ballrat even became aligned and they were similar to Frankston always prided themselves of standing alone don't need a AFL club ect ect.

Loyal
Club Player

casey scorp wrote:An important thing to appreciate is that there's a different President in place now at Frankston.

The previous President while wanting to maintain a stand-alone status, was expecting that things might develop over time with the Saints based at Frankston Park.

What also would change over time was the General Manager. Nobody at Frankston was going to push for an alignment between Frankston & St Kilda, or even enthusiastically embrace the Saints going to Frankston Park, while Bryan Mace was the GM. He was, and is, passionate about the Dolphins and couldn't stand the thought of the Saints even getting a toehold at Frankston Park.

However, I think eveyone expected such an alignment would develop over time. In the interim, Frankston expected that St Kilda would maintain its alignment with the Scorpions, and at what would have been considered an appropriate time (ie new GM) the two clubs would have embraced each other in an alignment. The Scorps would have been left out in the cold.

The comments in the article don't make sense, and don't reflect the views of Frankston FC at the time.

The decision by St Kilda and Sandy to ditch their respective partners and sign an alignment in June 2008 threw the cat among the pigeons. Fortunately for the Scorps, Melbourne was already interested in developing a presence at Casey Fields, and an alignment with the Scorps became a logical extension once St Kilda had broken the alignment.

Those two changes left Frankston without the prospect of an AFL partner, and in the current climate that's a problem for them.
All mostly true CS however the main thing for Frankston at the time was in managing to secure some sponsorship.
Frankston were needing to get some money coming in at the time when AF was making his approach to Frankston.

AF sort of f**ked it up once he had alligned with Sandy.
If AF had have held out and focused on one thing at a time STK may have alligned with Frankston and been gifted FP.

Masey wasn't dead against it. Masey would have done almost anything to ensure that the Dolphins were financially stable.
Masey would have alligned, but STK had already got into bed with Sandy, a fact that AF did not understand the gravity of.

Legendary
Club Player

Yes, but Archie was acting in the best interests of St Kilda.

Sandy have a tradition of AFL alignment, and their partnership with Melbourne was one of the best in the league.

When the chance to align St Kilda and Sandy (which should have happened in the first place) came about, the Saints rightly jumped.

A strong, successful bayside VFL club that plays at Trevor Barker Oval, and has a history of being a good "partner" club to the AFL.

Was far more in the Saints interests to align with Sandy than with Frankston IMO.

And it's the Saints interests Archie was concerned with.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:
casey scorp wrote:An important thing to appreciate is that there's a different President in place now at Frankston.

All mostly true CS however the main thing for Frankston at the time was in managing to secure some sponsorship.
Frankston were needing to get some money coming in at the time when AF was making his approach to Frankston.

AF sort of f**ked it up once he had alligned with Sandy.
If AF had have held out and focused on one thing at a time STK may have alligned with Frankston and been gifted FP.

Masey wasn't dead against it. Masey would have done almost anything to ensure that the Dolphins were financially stable.
Masey would have alligned, but STK had already got into bed with Sandy, a fact that AF did not understand the gravity of.
For the 500th time..his name is MACE

ALso..dont you have us staying at a revamped Moorabbin as a done deal??? :shock:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Loyal
Club Player

it depends on your point of view/ perspective.
personally st. kilda would have done none better at the time to have taken FP.
now that we are with sandy we will not move from moorabbin.
you can quote me on that if you wish saint66au

GrumpyOne

Loyal wrote:it depends on your point of view/ perspective.
What is the source of your unbridled optimism Loyal?

Its not as if you have runs on the board here.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Brian Mace was a workmate of mine in the early 70's. We often went to Saints games together. He would not have been against an amalgamation, unless he was crook on the Saints over the treatment of Robert.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

anyone want to explain to me how an allignment with frankston would have made it easier and cheaper to develop Frankston park oval.....?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
savatage
SS Life Member

I think it involved the use of pixie dust.

luckysaint
Club Player

Is there anything stopping us with forming an alignment with a second club as well?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

luckysaint wrote:Is there anything stopping us with forming an alignment with a second club as well?

Depends on the current agreement we have with sandy. But it is possible North do it.

luckysaint
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:Depends on the current agreement we have with sandy. But it is possible North do it.
I'm fairly naive about these things, however being aligned with the two bayside clubs sounds appealing with our history and looking forward.

Loyal
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
Loyal wrote:it depends on your point of view/ perspective.
What is the source of your unbridled optimism Loyal?

Its not as if you have runs on the board here.
i'm not a batsman GO and this isnt anything to do with your april fools thread.
this is all about what is best for the club moving forward over the next forty years.
its a pros and cons thing dude.
there are more pros than cons in staying at moorabbin.
there are more cons than pros in moving to seaford.
simply put, moving to seaford and not redeveloping moorabbin would be the worst thing that has happened to the club in a century.

Loyal
Club Player

Solar wrote:anyone want to explain to me how an allignment with frankston would have made it easier and cheaper to develop Frankston park oval.....?
the 'cost blowout' phrase was a line given for the fact that we had alligned with sandy.

if we had have alligned with frankston FP would have been a blank project.

and while there were some added costs associated in turning FP into an MCG sized park the real reason as to why we didnt get FP was because we hopped into bed with sandy.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Loyal..How do you KNOW that we lost Frankston park cos of Sandy? Or is this just guesswork on your part??

FOr someone who cant even spell the name of the Frankston president you claim to be in posession of a hell of a lot of facts

You can wish that we were staying at Moorabbin..thats your right and its probably shared by many..but to claim it as FACT (as you've done numerous times) is just setting yourself up for ridicule..and it will come trust me.

So can I can give you some advice? ..stop getting what you'd like mixed up with what the facts are right now..and thats a move to Belvedere Park

Enough "we are moving and thats fact you will all eat your words" nonsense ok? Unless you have some proof you'd like to share

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:the 'cost blowout' phrase was a line given for the fact that we had alligned with sandy.

if we had have alligned with frankston FP would have been a blank project.

and while there were some added costs associated in turning FP into an MCG sized park the real reason as to why we didnt get FP was because we hopped into bed with sandy.
So how did you come to this conclusion a credible source with a stick up his arse, Frankston footy club said before after we anounced we were moving to Frankston that they didn't want to aline

Loyal
Club Player

saint66au wrote: Loyal..How do you KNOW that we lost Frankston park cos of Sandy? Or is this just guesswork on your part??
its pretty clear that there was an associated political-vaccuum.
saint66au wrote:FOr someone who cant even spell the name of the Frankston president you claim to be in posession of a hell of a lot of facts

You can wish that we were staying at Moorabbin..thats your right and its probably shared by many..but to claim it as FACT (as you've done numerous times) is just setting yourself up for ridicule..and it will come trust me.

So can I can give you some advice? ..stop getting what you'd like mixed up with what the facts are right now..and thats a move to Belvedere Park

Enough "we are moving and thats fact you will all eat your words" nonsense ok? Unless you have some proof you'd like to share
all i claim is that it makes increasingly more sense to redevelop moorabbin.
anyone who has an opinion that is contrary to us redeveloping moorabbin doesnt know their arse.
people can feel free to ridicule me 66AU it wont help and it wont make any difference.