Structure without Kosi

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Loyal
Club Player

Structure without Kosi

Is it simply Roo playing FF? I think it is.

We know that we are a better team than Port Adelaide however, Roo needs to take pack marks inside fifty.
The rest will look after itself.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Off the cuff I reckon we need a larger framed player to leave their second 'Roo' defender in two minds. I reckon Gwilt will spend a considerable amount of time forward leading to the space Roo doesn't. That he kicks on his left might help in this regard. JG leads left, Roo stays deep or leads to the right pocket.

Thoughts?

On reflection I reckon Goddard needs to be in the middle competing. Not sure I want him forward this week.

Geez I'm getting fired up about this game.

Loyal
Club Player

port are a couple of mids down from what i understand and cassisi may struggle for condition. we should win most of the ball from the middle.

what we do with it is what counts.

roo has to play deep inside fifty take marks and kick goals.
we have to stack our forward line and kick a winning score.

teams like collingwood would dearly love us to drop this one.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

we're going to miss kosi's contested marking ability including the bit where he brings it to ground for the crumbers, milne and schneider.

structure isn't everything but it is important.

initially i favoured bringing in someone who can play that role (ie provide a strong, physical aerial contest) like goose or maybe mcevoy, but conditions and that the game is being played at night might be a factor.

JABBER
Club Player

stucture without kosi

Roo and the resting ruckman will play up front Gwilt Goddard can rotate as a third tall Milne and Schneider Geary and Eddy (if he plays )can be our small forwards

trevor barker
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Structure without Kosi

Loyal wrote:Is it simply Roo playing FF? I think it is.

We know that we are a better team than Port Adelaide however, Roo needs to take pack marks inside fifty.
Something I've also noticed Loyal. His ability to take a contested mark seems to have fallen away. Not laying a criticism on him - he's an elite player and delivers in spades, but this aspect of his game does seem to have fallen away a bit.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

Something I've also noticed Loyal. His ability to take a contested mark seems to have fallen away. Not laying a criticism on him - he's an elite player and delivers in spades, but this aspect of his game does seem to have fallen away a bit.
he's always been better on the lead rather than in a pack situation.

Loyal
Club Player

st.byron wrote:

you're right and he HAS dropped a few early and fortunately it hasnt mattered.
i just think we need to take port seriously. this is not a game that we need to lose.
one feels we'll win a lot of the ball in the middle and that we will get a significant percentage of the clearances.
we need to have a structure in the forward fifty.
honestly, most of our mids can kick the ball further than roo at the moment. most of our mids can kick it from fifty, roo cant at the moment and i dont know why.
thats why roo needs to be @ FF.
clearly BJ will go forward at some point.
i reckon grammy and others will come in and help out.
dal and joey will put on a show together. i love it when they run off each other.

just a game that needs to be taken seriously in terms of having some structure. i dont want to be seeing jimmy forward early-on.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
he's always been better on the lead rather than in a pack situation.
reckon you're right there Carl. I can though remember Roo often taking contested marks a few years back. Now he seems to get too far under the flight of the footy when going for a contested mark, resulting in him looking unbalanced, overstretched and consequently it slips through his hands.

Loyal
Club Player

i reckon carl is right but if he keeps leading beyond fifty he is as useful as tits on a bull.
by the time he turns around and kicks it they've manned-up in a contested situation against our smalls.
if he can take the mark and dish the handpass to a grammy on the run that's where we are dangerous.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Loyal"
you're right and he HAS dropped a few early and fortunately it hasnt mattered.
i just think we need to take port seriously. this is not a game that we need to lose.
one feels we'll win a lot of the ball in the middle and that we will get a significant percentage of the clearances.
we need to have a structure in the forward fifty.
honestly, most of our mids can kick the ball further than roo at the moment. most of our mids can kick it from fifty, roo cant at the moment and i dont know why.
thats why roo needs to be @ FF.
clearly BJ will go forward at some point.
i reckon grammy and others will come in and help out.
dal and joey will put on a show together. i love it when they run off each other.

just a game that needs to be taken seriously in terms of having some structure. i dont want to be seeing jimmy forward early-on.[/quote]

I don't think there's any danger of not taking Port seriously. They've had the wood on us, we're playing on their patch, it's an 8 point game in terms of ladder position and both teams have surprised with their form to date. What better time to knock them off.
Have read a couple of articles now where Lyon refers to the dilemna of selection this week.
I reckon they'll go for adding X to the side and using a combination of BJ and Gardi up forward.
The midfield battle should be a good one. Their midfield, if the stats are anything to go by, is quality and under the radar.
They have five players in the top 25 disposal winners for the season so far and that doesn't include either of the Burgoyne brothers.
On the flip side we have three of the top five tacklers in the comp and they have only two in the top fifty.

Not sure what all that means but for sure we'll have to be on our game big time to beat them on their patch.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: On the flip side we have three of the top five tacklers in the comp and they have only two in the top fifty.
Hmmmmm. Telling...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

when is the team named, anyone?

Loyal
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:when is the team named, anyone?
thur 5pm

jay young
Club Player

if that useless goof treadrea starts looking dangerous someone should barrel through his knee area (making out they are going for the ball of cause) he has kneecaps made of fairyfloss . And port are lucky at home what silvagni needs to teach our defence , say gilbert and s fisher to lift baker in the air (rugby style) on the goal line to stop the ball going through for a goal . Port allways get that lucky goal that only just clears the defenders heads . k cornes should be tagged and every time he is tackled, drive him into the ground with both arms pinned like the time pickett got him hes as slow as a useless harley davidson . GET THEM AND BELT THEM SAINTS

Quixote
SS Life Member

jay young wrote:if that useless goof treadrea starts looking dangerous someone should barrel through his knee area (making out they are going for the ball of cause) he has kneecaps made of fairyfloss . And port are lucky at home what silvagni needs to teach our defence , say gilbert and s fisher to lift baker in the air (rugby style) on the goal line to stop the ball going through for a goal . Port allways get that lucky goal that only just clears the defenders heads . k cornes should be tagged and every time he is tackled, drive him into the ground with both arms pinned like the time pickett got him hes as slow as a useless harley davidson . GET THEM AND BELT THEM SAINTS

LOL :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Loyal
Club Player

the bakes-chips rugby move i like.