Gilbert a top target for Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shades
Club Player

Gilbert a top target for Coast

THE form of home-grown St Kilda defender Sam Gilbert should be whetting the appetites of Gold Coast Football Club recruitment bosses. The former Coolangatta junior and Southport Shark has not only established himself as regular starter for the...

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/200 ... t-afl.html

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah well he wont be playing for em in 2011.....

saintly
Saintsational Legend

gilbert signed on for another 2 years. Till the end of 2011

Joffa 5
Club Player

And he knocked back a 3 year contract because he wanted to be out of contract in 2011. I reckon he'll definitley be a GC player.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa 5 wrote:And he knocked back a 3 year contract because he wanted to be out of contract in 2011.
Was this stated publicly?

Joffa 5
Club Player

No, it came from someone close to the club but I can't remember who. Sorry I can't be more specific but my old man gleaned this information and passed it on.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I recall being told that Gilbert while drafted from Southport has now actually lived in Melbourne for longer than he actually lived in the Gold Coast. Maybe he's "homesick" maybe not, but if so, 2011 is an odd place to target when the big money will be coming out of GC in 2010.

Since he's signed through 2011, worry about it when it happens. Were I at the point in my career that Gilbert's at right now, I'd want to be out of contract in 2011 too - regardless of geography. He's really starting to establish himself, but can't command star dollars yet... by 2011, he would have good reason to believe that he will.

GC may be the elephant in the corner of a number of negotiations for the forseeable future, but there's a fair bit of water to go under the bridge before they sign their first player, let alone anyone in 2011.

Personally, I suspect when it's all done and dusted, player transfers to the Gold Coast will turn out to be a storm in a teacup. However, Gilbert is exactly the kind of player they should be targetting, rather than the Reiwoldts, Abletts etc.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I recall being told that Gilbert while drafted from Southport has now actually lived in Melbourne for longer than he actually lived in the Gold Coast. Maybe he's "homesick" maybe not, but if so, 2011 is an odd place to target when the big money will be coming out of GC in 2010.

Since he's signed through 2011, worry about it when it happens. Were I at the point in my career that Gilbert's at right now, I'd want to be out of contract in 2011 too - regardless of geography. He's really starting to establish himself, but can't command star dollars yet... by 2011, he would have good reason to believe that he will.

GC may be the elephant in the corner of a number of negotiations for the forseeable future, but there's a fair bit of water to go under the bridge before they sign their first player, let alone anyone in 2011.

Personally, I suspect when it's all done and dusted, player transfers to the Gold Coast will turn out to be a storm in a teacup. However, Gilbert is exactly the kind of player they should be targetting, rather than the Reiwoldts, Abletts etc.
Well said.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I recall being told that Gilbert while drafted from Southport has now actually lived in Melbourne for longer than he actually lived in the Gold Coast. Maybe he's "homesick" maybe not, but if so, 2011 is an odd place to target when the big money will be coming out of GC in 2010.

Spot on....nice to see some real sense of perspective on this forum.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
ace
Saintsational Legend

Brad Howard is from Queensland and he will definitely be out of contract.
He would make a wonderful recruit for the Gold Coast Bikinis.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
kaos theory
Club Player

And he knocked back a 3 year contract because he wanted to be out of contract in 2011. I reckon he'll definitley be a GC player
No, you are wrong, you are guessing.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Read that article closely though. It's not actually based on anything more than the writer's assumption.

He's chucked in a few stats to show that Gilbert's played well this year.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
And he knocked back a 3 year contract because he wanted to be out of contract in 2011. I reckon he'll definitley be a GC player

Yep if that was true he would have only signed to 2010 where the saints wont be allowed to negotiate to trade him. The goldcoast can just take him if he's out of contract, using a set formula. Where as if he wants to goto the goldcoast after their first year they have to negotiate a proper trade, and thats not including West Sydney's concessions for 2011.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

They really have very little idea about anything up here other than surf and rugby league...And even then that's debatable...

goodie
Club Player

Yeah well Gold Coast can just bugger off

Joffa 5
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:
I was told he only wanted to be contracted to 2011. As for the second part that starts with "I reckon", yes, I'm guessing it was to keep GC as an option. I hope I'm wrong.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

It's a speculative filler story in the nations WORST newspaper that was tied to a bigger story about a Telstra GCFC sponsorship deal.

Read NOTHING into it.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

All good.

Three seasons to win a flag with him.

If he wants to go, he will go....Simple as that. No point concerning yourself over it.

Regardless, GC have the TRADE concessions, ie signing out of contract players for season starting 2011.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Joffa 5 wrote:I was told he only wanted to be contracted to 2011. As for the second part that starts with "I reckon", yes, I'm guessing it was to keep GC as an option. I hope I'm wrong.

If he wanted to keep it as a real option he would have only signed for until 2010

Duggie1
Club Player

Thinline wrote:They really have very little idea about anything up here other than surf and rugby league...And even then that's debatable...
How true! :lol:

Always a Saint
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Hey there Labrador. I'm in Currumbin, in case you were wondering.

Hope I didn't offend. In do speak the truth tho... a) surf and league is all there is and b) the Bully is the worst rag ever (rag is too compimentary...).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

agree. of course they will go after gilbo. the guy is a gun and they cant be that stupid not to. he is the perfect age for them.

even he wants to stay at saints - his mgr will do the act of pretending he is considering the GC - even if just to get his price up at the saints next contract.

the bottom line is - if gilbo keeps playing like he is for the next 2 years - he will be the highest paid saint in 2012 (if we keep him). but so what? i have no problem with that. the guy is awesome.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We'll take a first and second round pick.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bigred wrote:All good.

Three seasons to win a flag with him.

If he wants to go, he will go....Simple as that. No point concerning yourself over it.

Regardless, GC have the TRADE concessions, ie signing out of contract players for season starting 2011.
The "trade" concessions are for the 2010 post season only. GC17 can sign one out of contract, listed player per club (total 16). What starts in 2011 is the expanded list/TPP

2011 – 48 senior list, nine rookies with $1m TPP extra allowance;

2012 – 46 senior list, nine rookies with $800k TPP extra allowance;

2013 – 42 senior list, nine rookies with $600k TPP extra allowance;

2014 – 40 senior list, nine rookies with $400k TPP extra allowance;

2015 – 38 senior list, nine rookies in line with other AFL clubs.

Make no mistake, the draft concessions are huge. The Extra money is huge.

The expanded list is to cater for balancing the initial mature players, the glut of 2010 draftees, and actually developing that into a competitive list.

When Gilbert comes out of contract, GC17 would need to trade for him as per normal. The possible issue is the strong possibility of GC17 being awful in their first year and having the #1 PSD pick.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

And FWIW Gilbert's happy at the Saints.

http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx