MAXed out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

animalenclosure

MAXed out

It lothes me to say, but I think Max may have passed the batton on.

His soft tissues injuries have caught up with him as has age. It would be remiss of me not to acknowledge his contribution over many years but we must look forward. We have a young back line that at this stage has answered all questions all be it only 5 weeks. Continuity, stability, youth and to a degree experience are core for any football team or any team for that matter.

It is nice to be sentimental about Maxy but business is business and in business 5 year plans are the rage. He, I'm affraid doesn't fit in that scope.

I look forward to the next 5 years.....Thanx Maxy

saint vince
Club Player

Are you off your rocker. He is still ourbest back man. Not as good going forward as other but as a pure stopper there are none better.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

For good or bad he is still our number one defender.

If as many people think we are a chance this year why wouldn't you have our best defender on the ground playing. Zac Dawson is doing OK but he is nothing compared to Max.

He still has a role to play in this team and we need him to play that role.

5 year plan hey... Well better drop Hayes, Kosi, Gardiner, King and few others because they probably wont be around in 5 years
Last edited by ausfatcat on Sun 26 Apr 2009 10:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam23
SS Life Member

Re: MAXed out

animalenclosure wrote:It lothes me to say, but I think Max may have passed the batton on.

His soft tissues injuries have caught up with him as has age. It would be remiss of me not to acknowledge his contribution over many years but we must look forward. We have a young back line that at this stage has answered all questions all be it only 5 weeks. Continuity, stability, youth and to a degree experience are core for any football team or any team for that matter.

It is nice to be sentimental about Maxy but business is business and in business 5 year plans are the rage. He, I'm affraid doesn't fit in that scope.

I look forward to the next 5 years.....Thanx Maxy

quoted for pure hilarity.

Goddard.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I like how you tried to come up with a clever news bulletin style headline. :lol:

Sam23
SS Life Member

seriously i'm still laughing at the OP.

Goddard.
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Had a few to many tonight buddy?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:Had a few to many tonight buddy?
I reckon any Sunday night posts should be given their own forum

:lol:

Legendary
Club Player

Hudghton the best season of his career in 2008, culminating in the utter destruction and shameful embarrassment of Lance Franklin, the competition's best forward, in a Preliminary Final.

When he does the same thing this year, look out ...

SaintDebi
Club Player

You're kidding, right? Still a lot left in our Max.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Some full backs are good at handling gorillas, other are good at running off lazy full forwards but there is one type of full back that is extremely rare.

When the full forward gets a few metres break on the lead, this full back has the closing speed to be up the full forward's backside when the ball arrives.
This full back either gets his fist in to punch the ball away or crashes the full forward to the ground in the contest - play on.
These are the full backs that the best full forwards hate.
Just ask Buddy Franklin.
The full forward may get the odd goal but never a bag full.

Max is this type of full back.
Gilbert may one day develop into this type of player but until that happens Max is our best full back for September.
Last edited by ace on Sun 26 Apr 2009 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SaintDebi
Club Player

That last comment was in answer to the OP, not to Legendary who popped up while I was typing!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Max will be bax.

With the team playing well we have the luxury of nursing him along.

Look at the Cats in their Pemiership year...they nursed King along making sure he was fit and ripe for the GF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
animalenclosure

May I reiterate I acknowledge how good Max was/ is/ can be. I am only speculating on his history with injuries and his age. There has been many a great player to fall by cronic injuries. Oh how I would love to bring HAMILL back

If Max comes back to anywhere near his best I will eat my words with some extra chilli. I also would like to be realistic with an unbiased opinion.

Note:
1/ interupted pre season
2/ another injury
3/ re injured

Every time Max unleashes his closing speed fist aways, I cringe thinking when he gets up he has a hand on a part of one of his limbs, hand in the air.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

So whats the point of this thread then?

You started it saying we should say goodbye to max now you are saying he wont get back.. I am confused. And he doesn't fit a 5 year plan rubbish.

Also check how many games he has missed over the last two years, 5 this year and two last year

savatage
SS Life Member

Righhhtt.....

saintly_safes
Club Player

If we a going to be half a chance to win the flag Max will be a vital cog in the machine.

animalenclosure

[quote="ausfatcat"]So whats the point of this thread then?

You started it saying we should say goodbye to max now you are saying he wont get back.. I am confused. And he doesn't fit a 5 year plan rubbish.

Also check how many games he has missed over the last two years, 5 this year and two last year[/quote]

To responds to both of your posts here, and once again my opinion.

He is 32, two years older than Kingy,Gardiner( Fillins, until juniors develope) 4 years older than Hayes & 6 older than Kozy. He is the oldest on our list. !!!!!! Can you seriously see him playing in 2010'11'12'13', ......please

If he had a motor like Harv's I would say he's going to still have it in him, but he hasn't. Even Harv's had soft tissue issues, but I am sure his body would handle these injuries much better than Max's

How many games missed in the pasted is irrelevant, it's what he can do moving forward. How many soft tissue injuries has he had over his career
Unless you want to put him over a hoist and put in new hammies and calves, these injuries especially calf injuries can have long term problems

Once again "IF" he gets back, and he manages to get back in the side, I would not expect a tag of our "best defender " (Quote: Pass the batton on)

The way we are set up now we generate so much run from down back where we are hurting teams. Zac is no Max- in his time, but he's doing a job. I would give him a go at Buddy or even Gilbo would get a shot

one more year at least for our second - just cleaned the glasses!!!!

Beej
Saintsational Legend

He's just a pure competitor. Hates to lose more than he loves to win. They make the best defenders.

If only we could find a 20yo Max.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I heard Max say in an interview pre-season that hes seriously thinking about 2009 being his last year.

Still a vital cog in our defence though. Much as Zac is improving, Buddy. Lloyd and Fev (especially Fev!) will walk far less tall to see #8 striding down to stand next to them :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

animalenclosure wrote: He is the oldest on our list. !!!!!! Can you seriously see him playing in 2010'11'12'13', ......please

Your responding to my posts but your not reading them. I never said Max will play even next year, but he is still vital to the team this year and we need him this year!!!! If we are to be a chance.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yep. The backline has really choked this year without him, like it did in the first five rounds of 2004 when he didn't play. Too old, can't mark and can't kick. And he's more injury prone than Kosi. His role this year should be as backup in case of injury to one of the others. Matt Maguire is way ahead of him anyway in terms of the road ahead.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Max can just cruise in the VFL, get his strength up, and come back in and play off the bench. If he gets injured again, I would expect he would find it hard to get a game again as RL is definately not playing guys who are not 100% proven match fit.

repta
Club Player

Max is still one of the best Fullbacks in the competition. Zac is what the Saints need to enable Max to get FULLY rehibilliated before coming back into the side, and not rushed back like every other time he has been injured (and hence spent more time on the sidelines).
Take your time Max as your spot is just being kept warm.
Once Max is back, it should release Fisher into the centre ... or Goddard into his rightfull position .. the forward line.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Hopefully, & I mean this with all respect to his career and his place at the saints, I hope Max has to fight for his spot over Zac.
I want Max's rabid, scrambling, grunt and never say die in the backline, but this year it is even tougher for a defender, you have to play so clean and I think Max might give away few free kicks. Besides Zac has been ok
The ONE person I am looking forward to getting back is Dempster.

Seeya