Andrew McQualter and his forward pressure role

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

McQualter has played every game this year, and spent the majority of his time on the ground playing up forward from the flank, and pushing up the ground.

However, his most valuable contribution has come inside the forward 50m.

He has laid 16 tackles for the year, and I would wager most of these have been inside 50.

Not only that, but he has kicked 4 goals and assisted in another 4.

He is playing a very important role in negating the run the opposition normally get off our forwardline, and allowing our structure to work a lot more efficiently.

I reckon he deserves some recognition for this. He's been very important in our forward pressure and in creating scoring opportunities.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:D No argument from the Jiggster mate, I've always rated the kid..and he is STILL only a kid, the experience and game time He has had can only build up his confidence (just as it has with "casey" Jones)

Good that someone is giving some credit to "mini"

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Yeah good call, credit is due here. Has been playing his part, I definitly have been noticing his tackling around the forward 50. How about the goal the other week as well.

Carpe Diem
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The day he was delisted I sighed

Fair enough he didn't play well enough to keep his spot but I just thought to myself what the hell is wrong with this club that we can't develop an obviously talented junior like McQualter

He is a sign that RL knows a thing or 2 about football

Legendary
Club Player

Has now kicked 7 goals for the season (averaging 1 per game), and laid 9 tackles tonight, which brings his average to 4.5 per game.

Having a terrific year, and a VERY important part of our side ... he plays a critical role.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Crucial.....

and when he does get it......he is neat....

Check out his efficiency :shock:

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Also stated in the record that on average, about 47% of his possessions are contested per game! The highest at the club! Fantastic work by him again tonight!!

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Very happy with his game tonight.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Crucial.....

and when he does get it......he is neat....

Check out his efficiency :shock:
Yep, and most are contested possession that wins the ball.....

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Mcqualter is the most improved player, he was given a second chance by RL and he has grabbed with both hands and cementing his place in the side.

He does so many 1% and he is enjoying it.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He made one bad skill error in the first quarter (like a lot of his teammates) but continued to work hard and do his job. The rewards came. Well done to him so far, and well done to him for remembering X.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Has now kicked 7 goals for the season (averaging 1 per game), and laid 9 tackles tonight, which brings his average to 4.5 per game.
that goal per game stat can't be underestimated. geelong have lots of little men who pop up for goals. i'm not sure how, but mcqualter seems to pop up every week and kick one, whether it's a soccer off the ground in the goal square, a great tackle inside 50 to win a free, a mark on the lead, or a crumbing goal at the feet of a contest.

i didn't believe it was possible, but he's a really valuable contributor now.

JohnE
Club Player

Liked him from the moment I saw him running around with a dodgy mo and shaved head a few years back! Go mini!

Kourkoumelis & Beveridge & Traianidis Appreciation Society
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Really maximising he's ability to the full.

IMO he's the most improved out of the tail enders. Demonstrating a perfect example of what you are capable of if you dig really deep and give 100 percent effort 100 percent of the time.

Probably more proud and gained more respect for this kid than anyone in our entire list.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

have a look at the tape ......was responsible for at least two other goals as well......one from a bullet handpass...the other a tackle.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Quixote
SS Life Member

McQualter is a f****** psychopath and I f****** love it.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
claystreet
Club Player

Liked the look of him since he 1st turned up at the club.

Ya gotta love the hard nuts the ones that are at the opponent all the time, mini is fantastic with his all round skills.

Hasnt finished improving by a long shot so watch out opposition.

8-)

Beekay
SS Life Member

Full of admiration for the lad.

Massive improvement with plenty more to come.

Close to delisted! Thank goodness! Would have been SUCH a waste of talent.

Makes you think how many players could have gone on to be something if it was just for that extra chance, that extra bit of effort. Harsh environment.

Really happy for the kid and I'd personally like to see the 35 on his back if the improvement continues (that's if he'd like the jumper).

My reasoning is that he is tough and appears like a great bloke to boot. Perfect fit.

Imagine at the B&F at the end of the year with all the attention on Roo, Hayes, Fisher, Dal... the young gun Gilbert.. then they dust off the 35 and hand it to McQualter. Imagine how over the moon he'd be! Talk about a reward for hard work.
Last edited by Beekay on Tue 12 May 2009 5:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:Full of admiration.

Makes you think how many players could have gone on to be something if it was just for that extra chance, that extra bit of effort. Harsh environment.

Really happy for the kid and I'd personally like to see the 35 on his back if the improvement continues (that's if he'd like the jumper).
He was that close to being delisted that in fact he was delisted. Going well at the moment like everyone but we must keep it up. We will have a slump it is just how we manage it and more importantly when it is. Middle of the season is better than late in the year. Even the Cats have had slumps but being as good as they are have still managed to win when not playing well. That will be our next test.

Beekay
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: He was that close to being delisted that in fact he was delisted.
True, but not delisted for good!
plugger66 wrote: Going well at the moment like everyone but we must keep it up.
I think it is the manner in which he is playing. Ferocious attack on the ball and man, disposal efficiency, etc. He isn't an Embley waiting on the outer for Judd, Cousins, and Kerr to do all the work for him. He gets amongst it and that is a tribute to himself as much as it is to the team.

Come on plugger, crack a smile ya sarcastic grumpy twat! :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
plugger66 wrote: He was that close to being delisted that in fact he was delisted.
True, but not delisted for good!
plugger66 wrote: Going well at the moment like everyone but we must keep it up.
I think it is the manner in which he is playing. Ferocious attack on the ball and man, disposal efficiency, etc. He isn't an Embley waiting on the outer for Judd, Cousins, and Kerr to do all the work for him. He gets amongst it and that is a tribute to himself as much as it is to the team.

Come on plugger, crack a smile ya sarcastic grumpy twat! :D
Always smiling. Dont you read my poor sacastic humour. Just refuse to get ahead of myself because afterall this is the Saints we are talking about. Wasnt on this board in 2004 but the same stuff would have written and also after beating the Crows in 2005. Even if are to win the ----- Sorry cannot even say it I will not believe it till I actually touch the cup myself. I dont know how will do that but I will have to just to believe it is true.

Beekay
SS Life Member

I agree, and don't want people to not get to far ahead of themselves. I've feel like I've learnt the lesson at 21 years of age and it blows my mind to see people well past their 30s going over board.

Winning or losing though, I'd be sharing a good old smile with you on how McQualter has been playing I'm sure. 8-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:Full of admiration for the lad.

My reasoning is that he is tough and appears like a great bloke to boot. Perfect fit.

Imagine at the B&F at the end of the year with all the attention on Roo, Hayes, Fisher, Dal... the young gun Gilbert.. then they dust off the 35 and hand it to McQualter. Imagine how over the moon he'd be! Talk about a reward for hard work.

great idea...so great post mate....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.