The Dogs Always Knock Us Down When We're Up!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

The Dogs Always Knock Us Down When We're Up!

It's about time we beat the dogs while we're up. Everytime things seem to be going right, they get in the way....here's some examples.....

2008, Round 3 - We were two and zip after winning the pre season comp and looking great. 37 points up at quarter time we were home, or that's what the players thought anyway. We then conceded 18 goals to 6 and lost by 38 points.

2007, Round 18 - Half a game out of the eight we were charging home, needing to win four of our last five. We lead the dogs all night and were 28 points up early in the last quarter. They kicked the last five goals and we were lucky to escape with a draw. However we ended up missing the finals by two premiership points.

2004, Round 12 - We'd won the first 10 games, then lost to Sydney. But the following week we had the bottom placed Bulldogs to get us back on track. As it turned out we fell apart in the last quarter and lost by 23 points.

2001, Round 16 - Blight had just been sacked, Thomas stepped in. All the talk was of first up wins for stand in coaches. We started great start and were up by 23 at quarter time. We held the lead til midway through the third quarter before the dogs put us away and went on to win by six goals.

2000, Round 9 - One of the most heartbreaking St.Kilda games ever. We were without a win after 8 rounds, but our first taste of Friday night footy at Docklands saw us lead by 31 points at 3/4 time. We all thought we had our first win of the millenium. Not to be. The dogs booted six goals to one in the last quarter and a Chris Grant point in the dying seconds saw us go down by 1. Max Hudghton couldn't hide his emotions on his way off the ground.

1997, Round 13 - We'd begun our charge towards the top four and we were almost unstoppable at Waverley, until we played the dogs. They kept us goaless in the first quarter and we never recovered. We would only lose one more home and away game for the year and we would not lose again at Waverley 'til Round 7 the following year.

1996, Round 20 - Despite an up and down season we were in with a chance to play finals. But we needed to win the last three. We played the 15th placed dogs out at Princes Park and were comfortably beaten by 38 points. Our season was over.

1992, Semi Final - We'd just won our first final in 20 odd years and we had semi final at our new home ground vs Footscray. Despite losing to them twice during the season, we went in favourites. By quarter time we trailed by 26, at half time it was 37 and at 3/4 time it was 55. If it wasn't for an eight goal last quarter we would have been absolutely smashed. Not a great way to end what had been a very good year.

1990, Round 14 - After many years of drought, the saints were finally looking like a decent side and we sat inside the five after 13 rounds. The dogs were struggling in 9th and were not expected to beat us at Moorabbin. However, in a tight game the dogs got up by seven points, we dropped to 8th and would only win two more games for the rest of the year.

Time for some payback!

Legendary
Club Player

Wow when you put it like that ... what a history!

Hopefully we turn the tables this week :twisted:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Port has been a hoodoo for us and we all know what happened last week -look out Dogs, we have scores to settle!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Another way of looking at it would be that in our last 10 games against them, the Saints are 6 wins, 3 losses and a draw, which makes it sound more positive.

You could also say we haven't beaten them since round 3, 2007, which makes it sound more negative.

I think the truth of it would be that this is the first time since Lyon took over that the Saints have truly been "in form" when meeting the Bulldogs. I think this has been a potential rivalry that just hasn't eventuated due to circumstance since '97.

Both very good side, should be a great game.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Dogs Always Knock Us Down When We're Up!

Beno88 wrote:2004, Round 12 - We'd won the first 10 games, then lost to Sydney. But the following week we had the bottom placed Bulldogs to get us back on track. As it turned out we fell apart in the last quarter and lost by 23 points.
For some reason I can still vividly remember Smorgon's smug grin on the boundary line as the final seconds ticked away in that game.

Second half of 2004 I recall a stat that had Riewoldt and Gehrig kicking something like 75% of all our goals.

That just wasn't healthy.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Wow, awesome memory or research Beno88.

Hopefully we're up and focussed for this week. A great opportunity to put another of our serious rivals back in the pack. If we can take care of the Dogs and then the Pies then all of a sudden we're putting some serious daylight between us and Port, the Dogs and the Pies, all teams we are legitimately fighting against for a Top Four spot.

Let's hope our structure is right this week so Roo is not fighting against 3 opponents...hopefully Kosi plays and Big Ben & Gardi gets a run through the forward 50 to deflect some of the heat that Roo (deservedly) attracts.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote:Let's hope our structure is right this week so Roo is not fighting against 3 opponents...hopefully Kosi plays and Big Ben & Gardi gets a run through the forward 50 to deflect some of the heat that Roo (deservedly) attracts.
Triple-team Roo? Let 'em. Milne, Gards, Dal and Joey will all have a day out. Possibly Schneider, Geary and McQualter too.

Avenues to goal are not our problem this year.

We have had a good ratio of wins against them until recently. But I still think we owe them a hiding. And they're gonna get one. 8 goals.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

You forgot the 1961 First Semi! Actually, I think we have done pretty well against Footscray over the last decade or so. I expect a win on Sunday. Nullifying Ryan Griffen will be crucial, especially making sure he doesn't kick any goals.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The threat posed by the Dogs is significant. Lyon has only managed to coach us to a win against them once out of four attempts, and the embarassment of 2004 still smarts with me!!

They are not a team against which to adopt a complacent attitude: eg, starting with Lenny on the bench a la 2004!!

This is why I hope I am wrong in my suspicion that - if neither Kosi or King come up - we might end up seeing Eddy retain his place and Miles coming into the side, with Blake fulfilling the role of second ruckman.

I think this would be a serious mistake. For mine, if Raph is fit (and he seems to be), he should come in for Eddy, with Gilbert playing further forward. And McEvoy should come in for King. And, if Ross is determined to go with Blake in the ruck, then we should bring in one of X, Goose or Fish.

The less fancied players in our lineup - CJ, Geary, McQualter, Gwilt, Zac - have done us proud in the first few games. But there is a limit to how many of these you can get away with selecting while hardened, experienced AFL players are sitting in the stands watching.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Miles is miles off senior selection,. Meher...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Dogs will be a big test for us...

But I believe that beating our hoodoo team in PA at AAMI was a bigger test.

If our guys staye switched on...then even without King and Kosi I am quietly confident that we will do well.

Key will once gain be our workrate and pressure. The Dogs area team that relies on run and quick ball movement.

If we play such as we have in the first 5 weeks the Dogs will not be able to get their A-game up and running and we will win.

And as to track records....IMO the playing group will not now be phased...as they view themselves post-dropping Dal as a new team witha new ethos.

This self-belief and commitment now has them asa "new" team.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fingers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:The Dogs will be a big test for us...
Yes they will - why is it when we are winning i get more nervous every week? :?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Miles is miles off senior selection,. Meher...
Do you know that for a fact, or is that just your opinion? (If the latter, it's my opinion too, but mine doesn't count for anything at the club!!)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Legendary
Club Player

Curious meher baba as to your thoughts on Eddy? I thought he had one of his better games last week. Certainly would drop Gwilt ahead of him.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dogs are one of the few (maybe the only) teams we have a winning record over.

Saints 71 wins;
Dogs 70 wins;
Drawn 3.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Curious meher baba as to your thoughts on Eddy? I thought he had one of his better games last week. Certainly would drop Gwilt ahead of him.
Eddy tackled well and ran hard, which are his strengths. But he looked rusty and turned the ball over several times. He was ok, but there's a lot of competition for spots in the top 22 ATM and I reckon others have stronger claims.

Gwilt not only made some great disposals, but he had an excellent game off the ball, blocking and bumping and shepherding: watch the tape again.
I didn't think he had much of a game against Freo, but he was one of our better ones against Port.

- Jonathan Swift
*BaLLy iS BeST*
Club Player

one thing you can almost guarantee...
brain lake will try and take roo's head off at some stage of the game. he always does something to him :evil:

i will miss you bally. but i guess you just didn't want to be here.

heres hoping you are regretting that choice on that last day in september 2010 - go saints.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

not this week 8-)
saints to put them under so much pressure that there'll be clanger city.

6-0 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Miles is miles off senior selection,. Meher...
So they just upgraded him for the sake of it and made him emergency for no reason at all and then to top it off took only him and big Ben to Adelaide and lets face it if anyone but a ruckman pulled out before that game Miles would have got the nod. He was next in last week for sure. That may change this week but Miles is at the most kilometre off selection not a mile.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

we've also had some great wins against them

the famous brett voss tackle game, kosi was on fire etc

then there was a game at waverley when we came back from been headed and it francis kicked the winnig goal (from memory)

so yes some bad losses but an upside as well

btw no need to go back to the black day at western oval when templeton kicked a million goals

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Thedogs always knock us down when we're up

The whole point of the game this week is to WIN! :x going back over past losses does nothing to contribute to a win..other than to plant doubt in the minds of some followers of our club. All the listed games have been played and are OVER! If we ALL go to the game with the right mindset and the team play with the intensity they've shown to be capable of then we can put history to bed!!!!!!
GO SAINTS! GO SAINTS! GO SAINTS! GO SAINTS! GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

terry smith rules wrote:we've also had some great wins against them

then there was a game at waverley when we came back from been headed and it francis kicked the winnig goal (from memory)

btw no need to go back to the black day at western oval when templeton kicked a million goals
Don't forget Barry Breen's "300th" game. Round 15 1982 at Moorabbin. 11th v 12th, seven goals to Robbie Mace and four to Con Gorozidis.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:

Don't forget Barry Breen's "300th" game. Round 15 1982 at Moorabbin. 11th v 12th, seven goals to Robbie Mace and four to Con Gorozidis.
Con was a legend. Had a shitload of talent but was forced to work in his old man's fish and chip shop which didn't help his footy. He ate too much of the stuff too

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Moccha wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:

Con was a legend. Had a shitload of talent but was forced to work in his old man's fish and chip shop which didn't help his footy. He ate

too much of the stuff too
Pretty sure I was at that game. Does anyone remember a GIANT card round the back of the stands somewhere that could be signed? If so, its the game Im thinking of. Was only 9 at the time.

Behind Play
Club Player

I have never been more confident.