If King is fit?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

If King is fit?

If Kingy is fit, who makes way for him.
As good as we have been over the last two weeks, I still believe our forward line is far more potnet with both Roo and Kosi as permanent forwards as it makes it harder for defences to gang up on both of them.
If they do, they run the risk of Schneider or Milney kicking goals on them.
Also would like to hear how people feel about Gwilt, thought he did some very impressive things this evening and deserves his spot for now.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt is getting better, harder and faster by the week, he's becoming a very handy player, credit to GT for finding him!!!

As for King, I reckon Sammy Fischer may be pretty sore over the next couple of days from the shoulder knock he received, and may be in a bit of doubt.

Dunno, just a thought....

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Kingy is definately in our best 22. Whoever makes way for him can feel very stiff indeed !!

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Kingy is definately in our best 22. Whoever makes way for him can feel very stiff indeed !!
Eddy

He takes far too long to make a decision and his kicking skills aren't up to AFL standard

Nattens
Club Player

Moccha wrote:
Eastern wrote:Kingy is definately in our best 22. Whoever makes way for him can feel very stiff indeed !!
Eddy

He takes far too long to make a decision and his kicking skills aren't up to AFL standard
I agree. I was thinking this afternoon that he doesnt deserve his place in the side with so many waiting in the Sandringham team.

Needs more time to develop in the 2s.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Eddy.

He has not been bad...but King is better value at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Eddy and Gwilt are our number 21 and 22 players. I agree that Eddy takes too long to make decisions, although to be fair, he is a good hard runner to present an option in the first place. Gwilt is poor around his feet, double or triple touching the ball before he picks it up. He does not have the pace to make break away leads. On the other hand, his disposal and tackling have improved and he has that extra height which gives the coach some flexibility with him. It does make a welcome change having to quibble over which player should get dropped.

Legendary
Club Player

It is all about who plays what role in the team.

That, and fitness, are the two most important criteria when selecting a team for Ross Lyon. We should realise that by now. He doesn't pick unfit players, and he doesn't pick players who don't have a specific role in the team.

Our structure pre-injuries had King and Gardiner as the rucks, and Koschitzke playing permanent forward.

Now with Kosi playing in the ruck, who was the player who played forward instead, and who has been the past couple of weeks?

Gwilt.

Gwilty has been playing ok, but structurally King is his logical replacement.

Otherwise you are starting to fiddle with the make-up of the team and the way they setup, and this isn't something RL tends to do from his track record.

My opinion for those talking about Eddy ... his gut running and marking (he had 10 tonight, a couple contested) were very good, as were his footskills. Can play midfield or forward.

nicko016
Club Player

For me its out of Eddy and Gwilt. I probably lean towards Gwilt only becuase I'd rather have Eddy for his defensive pressure because I'd be inclined to have as many of those tough tackling players as I could.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe I'm saying this but McQualter, Gwilt and Geary are all deserving starting players atm.

If King were good to go it would be Eddy who would make way.

He hasn't improved and doesn't seem to have the potential that other players have.

His biggest strengths were his attitude, work rate and grunt, however it seems everyone else has caught up to him so there is nothing really keeping him in for mine...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

reason eddy gets a game was highlighted when he kicked into the man on the mark, ran hard to the next contest, gave the saints the extra number and it resulted in a contested ball and shot at goal.

would also like to see raph and max in there at some stage. Perhaps a blake or gilbert could go forward? or could raph play that third forward?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:reason eddy gets a game was highlighted when he kicked into the man on the mark, ran hard to the next contest, gave the saints the extra number and it resulted in a contested ball and shot at goal.

would also like to see raph and max in there at some stage. Perhaps a blake or gilbert could go forward? or could raph play that third forward?
Reason why Eddy's spot in the team is in question was because he kicked into the man on the mark, and almost did it again minutes later.

IIRC correctly he kicked into the man on the mark last week aswell?

But in his defence he is young and is still adjusting the to game.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Legendary
Club Player

Geez, am I watching a different game?

Thought Eddy was sensational last week and very good this week.

Hard at it, good skills (hardly turned it over tonight at all), strong marking and lots and lots of gut running.

Gets more of the footy than Gwilt, is harder at it and has a much smarter footy brain.

Owen
Club Player

Had a quick chat to Kingy when he came up to our box tonight .. said only a week or two he'd be right ..

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
Eddy

should not have been in the side in front of x...imhfo.......if x had been picked.......... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Owen wrote:Had a quick chat to Kingy when he came up to our box tonight .. said only a week or two he'd be right ..
great to hear

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: If King is fit?

3rd generation saint wrote:I still believe our forward line is far more potnet with both Roo and Kosi as permanent forwards.
agree. we've got away with roo being really the sole marking target for the past fortnight, but sooner or later it is going to come back and bite us.

gwilt is handy, but doesn't get to enough contests and doesn't impact on the scoreboard enough.

while king is injured i'd bring in mcevoy so we have two genuine rucks and two genuine key forwards.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Geez, am I watching a different game?

Thought Eddy was sensational last week and very good this week.

Hard at it, good skills (hardly turned it over tonight at all), strong marking and lots and lots of gut running.

Gets more of the footy than Gwilt, is harder at it and has a much smarter footy brain.
All of that is true...

But structurally I think Lyon may go with Gwilt as our HF.

Eddy is abetter all-round footballer than Gwilt at present.
But Gwilt is a much better finisher.
So they contibute different things....so it will depend which of these aspects that Lyon will want against the Pies.

Still if King does not come up = no change.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Gwilt is getting better, harder and faster by the week, he's becoming a very handy player, credit to GT for finding him!!!

As for King, I reckon Sammy Fischer may be pretty sore over the next couple of days from the shoulder knock he received, and may be in a bit of doubt.

Why should GT be credited for finding Gwilt?

John Beveridge is the man that should be credited - as our chief of recruiting at the time.

The Saints are coming!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

eddy out....king in......simple as that....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Am I the only one who was impressed with Gwilt today?

He dropped a sitter early but was really good from that point on, he has a booming kick on him, beautiful to watch.

savatage
SS Life Member

True Blue Sainter wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Gwilt is getting better, harder and faster by the week, he's becoming a very handy player, credit to GT for finding him!!!

Why should GT be credited for finding Gwilt?

John Beveridge is the man that should be credited - as our chief of recruiting at the time.
One of Saintsational's own may have also had a word in JB's ear about Jimmy.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Our structure pre-injuries had King and Gardiner as the rucks, and Koschitzke playing permanent forward..
correct, that was a key part of the structure that helped launch this juggernaut and i think it is something we shouldn't stray too far from.

two genuine key forwards. two genuine ruckman.

riewoldt's such a good player that it is a very easy trap to fall into, but i'm very wary of us counting soley on him to kick us a winning score, particularly when the kicking boots aren't on.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 04 May 2009 12:33am, edited 1 time in total.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

savatage wrote:One of Saintsational's own may have also had a word in JB's ear about Jimmy.
Sweeney, OTOH, was clearly Talking Carlton trickery. :)

Personally, given that it's Collingwood next week, I'd be just fine with no change. If King has to come in, bring him in for ********.

(name removed to protect my ego when said player has a blinder next week)

Yeah nah pleasing positive
savatage
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
savatage wrote:One of Saintsational's own may have also had a word in JB's ear about Jimmy.
Sweeney, OTOH, was clearly Talking Carlton trickery. :)
Sorry but you lost me!