Saints Round 7 team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:RL has been very consistent. Unless you are star there are no changes from a winning side. No stars in the emergency line up so no change.
there's something to be said for that approach as it rewards the guys who have been doing the job.

but there are drawbacks with it, too, like when changes need to be made for the sake of structure and balance.

for instance, eddy (a runner) was brought in for an injured kosi (a tall) in wet and windy conditions in adelaide.

last week (in dry and windless conditions at the dome) we found ourselves arguably one tall short (without a second goalkicking marking target), placing a lot of pressure on riewoldt's right boot.

so i'm not sure it should be a hard and fast rule, even though anyone who is dropped from a team that has won six in a row would be stiff.

if it were me, i'd bring in raph (who i believe is a starting 18 player) to play in defence, allowing bj to play forward with kosi also spending a fair bit of time down there.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Personally, I'd like Armitage for Eddy.

Again, nothing against Eddy, who I feel has been alright in the past few weeks.

However, Armitage is player who looks to me as though he will respond to a confident group around him. Got the feeling that if he could rack up four or five games on the trot of 18+ touches, it could spark his career to life.
I dont think Eddy is ever going to be a real star but I dont think Armo has done enough in a lower grad of footy this year. If Armo was picked up at say pick 40 would you still think the same way. I think like you I suppose because he was a top 10 pick he will kick on but i am really not so sure.
Without question I am influenced by that.

However, would we have given McQualter another chance if he wasn't taken at Pick 17? Or would Raph Clarke still be on the list? Would we have recycled Farren Ray?

Fact is, we give top picks extra grace for a reason. They all have talent, it's just about whether you can get it out of them.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Personally, I'd like Armitage for Eddy.

Again, nothing against Eddy, who I feel has been alright in the past few weeks.

However, Armitage is player who looks to me as though he will respond to a confident group around him. Got the feeling that if he could rack up four or five games on the trot of 18+ touches, it could spark his career to life.
I dont think Eddy is ever going to be a real star but I dont think Armo has done enough in a lower grad of footy this year. If Armo was picked up at say pick 40 would you still think the same way. I think like you I suppose because he was a top 10 pick he will kick on but i am really not so sure.
Without question I am influenced by that.

However, would we have given McQualter another chance if he wasn't taken at Pick 17? Or would Raph Clarke still be on the list? Would we have recycled Farren Ray?

Fact is, we give top picks extra grace for a reason. They all have talent, it's just about whether you can get it out of them.
Not all have talent. Michael Frost was pick 7. :wink:

rexy
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:RL has been very consistent. Unless you are star there are no changes from a winning side. No stars in the emergency line up so no change.
there's something to be said for that approach as it rewards the guys who have been doing the job.

but there are drawbacks with it, too, like when changes need to be made for the sake of structure and balance.

for instance, eddy (a runner) was brought in for an injured kosi (a tall) in wet and windy conditions in adelaide.

last week (in dry and windless conditions at the dome) we found ourselves arguably one tall short (without a second goalkicking marking target), placing a lot of pressure on riewoldt's right boot.

so i'm not sure it should be a hard and fast rule, even though anyone who is dropped from a team that has won six in a row would be stiff.

if it were me, i'd bring in raph (who i believe is a starting 18 player) to play in defence, allowing bj to play forward with kosi also spending a fair bit of time down there.
Good point, I felt we were one tall short also, We looked most dangerous in the short bursts when we had two talls in the forward line. So rather than going in to another indoor game one tall short i feel we should cut short theseason of one of the shorts and bring in a tall.

Not sure who though, Eddy looks slow with the ball but tackles very well, Gwilt doesnt hold enough marks but kicks very well, Geary marks and kicks ok but doesnt always get a lot of it?

Maybe this year?
Saintersss
Club Player

McEvoy needs to come in as second ruck, so Kosi can stay forward. Means either eddy or gwilt to go. Before people start saying, why should eddy/gwilt go... blah.. blah... it's not that I don't like them its that for structure its much better we play 2 rucks with Kosi and the forward line and therefore someone has to make way. And eddy and gwilt have peformed the worst out of the 22 (not saying they have done bad).

And I would love to see Armitage and R.Clarke to come in, but I agree that they will have to wait their turn.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Good point, I felt we were one tall short also, We looked most dangerous in the short bursts when we had two talls in the forward line. So rather than going in to another indoor game one tall short i feel we should cut short theseason of one of the shorts and bring in a tall.

Not sure who though, Eddy looks slow with the ball but tackles very well, Gwilt doesnt hold enough marks but kicks very well, Geary marks and kicks ok but doesnt always get a lot of it?
+1 for a tall too few....
I really want to see McEvoy get a game, now is the time, bring him in....

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

I heard NDS say that King may play depending on two more training sessions, is this possible now? (being he hasnt been named)

Before Im 85
send out the runner
Club Player

Bring in Raph take Blake as second ruck against an incipid Fraser, and let Kosi go forward. Dawson has Rocca, Give Sammy Cloke and we free up Fisher & Goddard.

I don't think we need two rucks for this game, a running Blake can counter and go with Lemonade & Fraserella.

We go head to head with the midfield and maybe a glance at Davis once and a while... I think a little touch will see him off his game.

linz
Club Player

I reckon Eddy will become a good player. He knows where the ball is and he can get it. I don't like his disposal right now though. I reckon gwilt has a fair bit of room for improvement in this regard also. He seems to have sublime skills without the ball in his hands.

I'd be inclined to bring in Raph to replace Eddy. Gilbert & Goddard then to perform backline forward line rotations just to keep the scum confused.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

makes sence to me......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
westy
Club Player

I will be very happy to see Zac 'do a job' on Rocca

I'm livin' in a madhouse
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lyon picks a team...not individuals...

Players earn their places based on contribution to the team...and not individual.

Andrew McQualter from Inside Football,

“The bottom six have got to be consistent enough to stay up there and if you stay up there that’s when you can become more of a side with a top 15 or 16 players rather than your top 12 players.â€

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

saintsrus wrote:I heard NDS say that King may play depending on two more training sessions, is this possible now? (being he hasnt been named)
Bump, anybody!

Before Im 85
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:
saintsrus wrote:I heard NDS say that King may play depending on two more training sessions, is this possible now? (being he hasnt been named)
Bump, anybody!
No not possible also may not be fit for another week or two.

saint vince
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintsrus wrote:
Bump, anybody!
I have a feeling that it is possible under the rules. I don't think it will happen but I believe that the squads submitted on a Thursday are an indication only for the media to show. Final 22 and emergencies wont need to be submitted till Saturday *i think*.

Richter
SS Life Member

I also worried at times last week that we were a Tall short in the forward line.

Interesting to compare last year's game vs the Doggies to this year's...... Last year we went in with 3 tall leading targets, blitzed the first quarter but were ran out of it by the Dogs....... fast forward to this year, we started with 1 tall target, got ahead and stayed there, sealing the game in the 3rd quarter due to a stellar effort by BJ.

Suggests to me that RL is learning to adapt and adopt differential strategies that suit both our team and the match-ups against the opposition better.

For the next few games.....

Pies

The game will be won and lost in the mid; also they only have Fraser in the ruck; so I expect us to go in with MG only and Eddy as the last man picked i.e. no changes

Bombers

Not as strong in the mid; inexperienced ruck combo; dependent on injuries/reports I could see us play an extra tall either in Benny Mac and/or Raph and /or Max

Lions

Definitely want Max/Raph back to defend against the twin tall targets who towelled us up lat year

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saint vince wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsrus wrote:
Bump, anybody!
I have a feeling that it is possible under the rules. I don't think it will happen but I believe that the squads submitted on a Thursday are an indication only for the media to show. Final 22 and emergencies wont need to be submitted till Saturday *i think*.
Posters on here speculate about this sort of stuff a lot, but can anyone recall many recent occasions in which a club brought in a player at the last minute who wasn't named as one of the emergencies?

It has hardly ever happened and I would think that the AFL would expect a club to produce a very good reason (eg, both Gardi and McEvoy going down with injury at the last moment).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote: Posters on here speculate about this sort of stuff a lot, but can anyone recall many recent occasions in which a club brought in a player at the last minute who wasn't named as one of the emergencies?

It has hardly ever happened and I would think that the AFL would expect a club to produce a very good reason (eg, both Gardi and McEvoy going down with injury at the last moment).
Essendon did it last week with Dyson for Mark McVeigh.

I'm pretty sure we did it at some point last year.

It happens, but very rarely - the fines (up to $20k) are enough to persuade most teams not to.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

when will we know the final team?

goodie
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:when will we know the final team?
5pm tonight

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:
bigcarl wrote:when will we know the final team?
5pm tonight

thanks

starsign
Club Player

Looks like MacEvoy and Raf are still in the mix by the way the Zebs have turned out
Raf could be insurance for Fisher and/or an option to come in to free up Blakey for the ruck, and I recon they must still be toying with the option of Big Mac in to return to the structure that sees Kozi up forward almost permanently
Having said that they didn't go with the latter last week and it came off not having the second tall forward as Kozi and Gards both were good when drifting down forward
I recon it still puts to much pressure on Roo though and would like to see either the 2 options mentioned
could even be both if Fisher is out, and i recon Eddy could be the one to go from Mini and Jimbo

saint3d
Club Player

AFL site says:
Collingwood and St Kilda's final squads will arrive at 4pm AEST on Saturday.
Unless I'm mistaken there's no requirement from the AFL to provide preliminary squads before this time, so any penalties that exist could only be based on changes to the team named this afternoon.

henno
Club Player

whennnnn oh when are they gonna post the sides? :evil: :evil:

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:AFL site says:
Collingwood and St Kilda's final squads will arrive at 4pm AEST on Saturday.
Unless I'm mistaken there's no requirement from the AFL to provide preliminary squads before this time, so any penalties that exist could only be based on changes to the team named this afternoon.
Reading the newspaper today the final squads need to be sent in by 5pm AEST...

So where does anyone find it???

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!