Should Gwilt Keep Goose Out?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Should Gwilt Keep Goose Out?

IMO Goose in
Gwilt out

He's been ok (Gwilt) but not doing enough to keep the Goose out..

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saintDal
Club Player

Apparently Gwilt struggled with asthma tonight. Wouldn't hurt to give him a rest with the 6 day break. Goose has certainly done plenty to get a call up.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintDal wrote:Apparently Gwilt struggled with asthma tonight. Wouldn't hurt to give him a rest with the 6 day break. Goose has certainly done plenty to get a call up.
i'm sorry for the kid if his asthma is playing up, but he was poor again tonight and really shouldn't be taking a spot in the side away from better prospects.

maguire's had a long time out of footy but seems to be standing up to the rigours of vfl football. this is the perfect time to see if he can also stand up to afl football. he's unlikely to play a consistent season, but getting some games into him now would stand us in good stead, i reckon.

SaintDebi
Club Player

I think Gwilt has improved heaps, but in a side where most of our players have really stepped up to play at a better level it really shows the gaps between the good and the very good. Had he been playing like this the past couple of years he would have slotted in and been as good as the rest of the playing group. I'd like to see him keep getting opportunity to improve, but as far as I'm concerned he's only ever really been holding the spot for Goose to return.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I thought Gwilt was good last night, took a few high pressure marks on the lead, in yesteryear he would have dropped the mark, lost his feet and been forced to watch his opponent strem in for an easy goal.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The ideal "other" player on the forward line is someone who can take a contested mark, provide many leads and work around his feet (like Hamill). At the moment, Gwilt half fills this role. On the other hand, while Matt Maguire is a much better player, it remains to be seen whether he is a more straight ahead player at senior level than a run out and turn player.

The media people, especially Watson, say Lyon wants Gilbert for this role. I hope he doesn't. The one thing we don't need now is GT type experimentation half way through a season. Taking Gilbert from the backline - statistically the best performing back line after 7 rounds of all time - would be a gift to every opponent from now on.

Until and unless a player gets injured or fails miserably - leave things alone!

widereceiver
Club Player

Watching the game, Gwilt did a lot of good things and was hard at it.

Watch the replay, Gwilt did a lot of good things and was hard at it.

He's doing his role, FFS.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I think Gwilt's last month has been pretty good, should keep his spot.

IMO Geary was the one who let us down last night, he was raelly undisciplined at times and his disposal was just that little bit off.

Having said that I would be happy for no change this week, or even King/Eddy in for McEvoy.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would have Raph back before Matt. He was our best player in the final series, and probably B.O.G until injured in Round 1. Makes no sense whatsoever for him to be 23rd man and not play this round. We will need his class if we are to match up with Geelong and Hawthorn.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Having said that I would be happy for no change this week, or even King/Eddy in for McEvoy.
if we do eddy in for mcevoy then kosi will have to help out in the ruck, leaving us with just the one key forward (which I hate).

we could bring in goose (to play chf) and raph (who i think should come before eddy) for mcevoy and someone else, probably gwilt.

that would give us another runner and allow kosi to play second ruck without robbing us of a key forward.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Having said that I would be happy for no change this week, or even King/Eddy in for McEvoy.
if we do eddy in for mcevoy then kosi will have to help out in the ruck, leaving us with just the one key forward (which I hate).

we could bring in goose (to play chf) and raph (who i think should come before eddy) for mcevoy and someone else, probably gwilt.

that would give us another runner and allow kosi to play second ruck without robbing us of a key forward.
But we would have to bring in King and possibly Hudghton eventally too and that is essentially 4 players out of a winning team in a couple of weeks...

I am so glad I'm not on the selection comittee.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Gwilt was great last night... Really adds to the forward pressure, and is improving his decision making by the week...

I would not bring Goose in for Gwilt in a forward role... I think Gwilt is doing a better job that Goose would... We'd be too top heavy and loose that link up player Gwilt is playing to great effect...

Despite his 5 goal effort, I think Goose's future lies in defence...

Raph, on the other hand, may be a better option to play the role Gwilt is, purely because he is a similar, only more talented player....

IMO Raph is next cab off the rank... Must come in, and soon....

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I'd be very surprised if Lyon dropped Gwilt. he has shown with selections so fars that a winning team does not have to be tampered with.

Gwilt has done nothing wrong.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's change for the sake of change IMO. The only thing I can see happening, is King in for McEvoy when he is ready.

saintjake
Club Player

this could seem a biased post because i love gwilt
but that jsut means i watch him so closley
and last night.
he only had 11 touches, yes.
and he faded a lot at the end got most of his touches in the first half.
but if you watched him
he layed many tackles in the foward line
he used his bulk.
big goosey has played one game up foward and kicked 5 goals at vfl.
wooo hooo go goosey
thats one game
fergo kicked 1.4 didnt he at afl, and still everyone called for him to get dropped.

why is gwilt always the one who is questioned.
kosi didnt have that many touches but im sure
"the contest he makes"
is your excuse for it.

thehandbrake
Club Player

7-0... 208.2%... Only used 25 players... And we just beat Collingwood by 88 points! Why do people continually call for players to be brought in?

The exact reason St Kilda is performing so well at the moment is because players like Gwilt, McQualter, Geary etc are performing their roles. Doing a job week in, week out. To say any one was "poor" last night, to the point of being dropped, is ridiculous.

I loved seeing Goose kick 5 on the weekend and would love to see him in the Seniors. But at the moment, he doesn't deserve to displace anyone in this side.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

If its not broken, don't fix it. Keep the team as it is.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
d roit
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:If its not broken, don't fix it. Keep the team as it is.
Thats a fair assessment, and one that is used quite frequently on this forum, however what does a player need to do to get a call up? I agree that no one was TERRIBLE last night, but why do we need for someone to have a bad game before we reward someone like maguire, raph and even possibly armo?

I'm not arguing in favor of someone being dropped this week, and i agree that our structure and bottom 3-4 players have performed to their required roles, but why wait for a bad game before one of them goes?

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

d roit wrote:
Thats a fair assessment, and one that is used quite frequently on this forum, however what does a player need to do to get a call up? I agree that no one was TERRIBLE last night, but why do we need for someone to have a bad game before we reward someone like maguire, raph and even possibly armo?

I'm not arguing in favor of someone being dropped this week, and i agree that our structure and bottom 3-4 players have performed to their required roles, but why wait for a bad game before one of them goes?
It's a very good point, and the way ive been thinking myself...

Yes, the players currently in the team must be rewarded for their effort... but so too must those who have missed the start of the season, but are now showing a real case at Sandy...

It's a real dilemma i guess for the match committee on where to draw the line?

If Max is fit and firing, when do we put him in the side for Dawson?

And same goes for King, Raph and Goose...

If it was the Grand Final next week, would you want Dawson or Max? McEvoy or King? Gwilt or Goose? Geary or Raph??

They are all VERY hard decisions to make, but all of them have the potential to make the team EVEN BETTER!!

Btw, i am in no way saying that those playing aren't performing... its just a matter of whether some higher class could make us run even better...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Gwilt was great last night... Really adds to the forward pressure, and is improving his decision making by the week...
i was watching him pretty closely last night and thought he added very little. but maybe i'm biased because i think he's not up to afl standard at this point. when i look at the stats it's also not particularly impressive:

11 disp, 64% eff, 0.1, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 clearance, 1 clanger, 1 inside 50

0 goals, 0 assists, 0 contested marks

but obviously stats aren't everything. so i'm interested to hear of any specific good things anyone can remember from him?

Hugh Drod
Club Player

for once we have the amazing luxury of havin an unchanged lineup and people want to meddle with it.

saintjake
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Gwilt was great last night... Really adds to the forward pressure, and is improving his decision making by the week...
i was watching him pretty closely last night and thought he added very little. but maybe i'm biased because i think he's not up to afl standard at this point. when i look at the stats it's also not particularly impressive:

11 disp, 64% eff, 0.1, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 clearance, 1 clanger, 1 inside 50

0 goals, 0 assists, 0 contested marks

but obviously stats aren't everything. so i'm interested to hear of any specific good things anyone can remember from him?
Koschitzke, J 11 touches, 27%eff, 1 goal 3, 0 contested marks 0 tackles, 2 clangers.

hayes and mini lead the team in tackles with 9, spiderman had 5
then you had
ray
roo
jones
GWILT
on 4

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

funny how ppl's perceive things differently, now I'm no major Gwilt fan but I thought he did ok last night.

The idea of swapping Gwilt for Maguire makes little sense coz they don't play the same role. Gwilt is just a bit more run and carry at the moment. His attack on the ball is first rate and his delivery is really good.

On Maguire, I think he really needs to do a long apprenticeship in the 2s. Question does Maguire have the endurance to keep with an opponent that would try to exploit his fitness???
I'm not entirely sure but my impression is no. He plays a bit more like ur traditional lead from the square forward. I think those forwards went out with the G-Train.

older saint
SS Life Member

d roit wrote:

Who says they will have a bad game and deserve to be dropped after 1 poor performance? The great thing with this team is it is being selected each week on performance over the past few weeks, alng with balance rather than name and reputation.

Watching the 2's Maguire was good taking contested marks, however there is no spot for him at the moment. Gwilt is a different type of player filling in a Hamill type role of med size,good mark, ok pace and hard body. For Maguire to come in either a Kosi or Blake would have to go down as i see it at the moment.

Glad to se McEvoy get a game and i thought he showed a bit as the game went on. Armitage was ok in the seconds in what was a very ordinary skilled game, so hard to take a line through it.

Hopefully Max gets a couple games in the 2's also to condition himself and then comes back with some base.

Perhaps they may go with a Raph or Eddy this week for McEvoy with Essendon's pace and mobile ruck being a factor, looking at either Kosi or Blake to back up Gardi in the ruck. Expect Gardiner to try to expose Ryder the other way and possibly Blake a run with role.

saintjake
Club Player

gwilts in the team
for his pressure
i think everyone on here agrees to this
his stats are this season

Kicks 47
Handballs 52
Disposal 99
Disposal Efficiency 75%
Uncontested Possessions 67

contested possessions 33
tackles 20
3 goals
3 behinds
5 score

he has had more tackles then
baker
blake
eddy
fisher
gards
gilbert
king
kosi
roo
equal to gram and milne

more contested disposals then
baker
blake
eddy
gards
geary
king
kosi
schneider

exactly 1/3 of his touches have been contested.

i think the young man is doing alright.