Lyon backs new-look ruck duo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Lyon backs new-look ruck duo

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 32,00.html

Lyon backs new-look ruck duoFont Size: Decrease Increase Print Page: Print Greg Denham | May 13, 2009
Article from: The Australian
ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon is not concerned about taking on Essendon with inexperienced ruckman Ben McEvoy at Etihad Stadium on Sunday in what looms as the match of the round.

Lyon said yesterday he was more than happy with his new-look ruck division of Michael Gardiner and McEvoy, who teamed together for the first time against Collingwood on Monday night.

In the absence of former Geelong captain Steven King, who is injured, McEvoy got his chance because of the late withdrawal of Robert Eddy. In just his second game after making his debut against Fremantle last year, McEvoy acquitted himself well with 15 hit-outs.

"I thought he held his end up well," Lyon said of the 19-year-old who was recruited as a first-round choice in the 2007 national draft.

"He's only a second-year ruckman and as it often is with big guys, he's probably eight years away from his best."

King has missed the past few rounds with a hamstring strain, and is unlikely to be available on Sunday.

"He's got a few hurdles to jump before he plays again," Lyon said.

The Saints coach was particularly impressed with Gardiner's form at the bounces and throw-ins.

"He's playing with some presence and his hit-outs gave us first use," Lyon said. "When he's up and about, he makes other players walk tall around him."

Gardiner, an All-Australian in 2003 when at West Coast, is in his third year at Moorabbin and had 28 hit-outs against the Magpies' total of 30.

The Saints' new big-man combination will probably go head-to-head with Essendon's Patrick Ryder and Tom Bellchambers who, like McEvoy, is in his second senior season and last week against Hawthorn played his first game for the year for a career tally of four matches.

Not only are the Saints unbeaten in the first seven rounds, but they will soon have veteran full-back Max Hudghton available for selection as he is on the comeback trail from a serious calf injury.

Lyon said the popular Hudghton, who has not played this year, would make his return on the weekend in the VFL.

Meanwhile, Essendon coach Matthew Knights said Scott Lucas, who was dropped for last week's win over the Hawks, was unlikely to be recalled against the Saints.

Lucas, a two-time best-and-fairest winner for the Bombers, booted four goals in an encouraging display for the Bendigo Bombers in the VFL last weekend, but Knights hinted his match committee could field an unchanged line-up.

"He went back and he did himself proud. He kicked four goals, but more importantly, his effort and his movement were a lot better, which is what we were looking for," Knights said.

Knights said the VFL form of former Geelong player Brent Prismall and Michael Hurley was also encouraging, as both played more than half a game when returning from injuries.

Key defender Hurley made his debut in the opening round this season, but tore a quadriceps muscle at training a few days later. Knights said Prismall, who was traded to the Bombers last October after rupturing an anterior cruciate ligament in the first week of the finals a month earlier, pulled up well from his first hit-out for almost eight months.

Prismall is scheduled to increase his VFL game time to 80 minutes this weekend, and Knights said he would not be considered for senior selection until he was capable of playing an entire match.

"He played 60 minutes of football and he's done a lot of training over the last six to eight weeks," Knights said. "I had a chat to him and the doctors yesterday and he's fine. There are no concerns at all, which is really promising.

"It's been a pretty big operation and we've got to be patient with him."

Knights said midfielder Mark McVeigh was also making significant progress in his recovery from an ankle problem, but he remains several weeks away after being hurt in round four.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Lyon backs new-look ruck duo

saintly wrote: ...

"He's only a second-year ruckman and as it often is with big guys, he's probably eight years away from his best."
Given the reaction of some to the "four year apprenticeship", I could almost hear the heads exploding...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
To the top
SS Life Member

It was interesting that, when Gardiner came back on at one stage in the 2nd half, McEvoy headed for the bench - only to be told he was not coming off - so he turned and lined up on the centre square wing for the bounce.

From there he ran back and forward - so you can guess the message he was given when he attempted to come off.

Thought it was again a promising performance because he got around the ground well, competed in the ruck well, showed a presence with and around the ball and, most impressively, showed how good his hands are including low.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:It was interesting that, when Gardiner came back on at one stage in the 2nd half, McEvoy headed for the bench - only to be told he was not coming off - so he turned and lined up on the centre square wing for the bounce.

From there he ran back and forward - so you can guess the message he was given when he attempted to come off.

Thought it was again a promising performance because he got around the ground well, competed in the ruck well, showed a presence with and around the ball and, most impressively, showed how good his hands are including low.
yes, i enjoyed seeing McEvoy out their playing for half a game. it can only help him for the future.

he certainly played better then his first game last year.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

At the moment, he is clearly our No 3 ruckman. However, it is worth remembering that this was just his second AFL game. He has played a number of VFL games, but the gap is still wide in quality between the two comps. As I have said elsewhere, I think he is carrying too much weight, or at least the distribution of it is wrong. I remember a young Peter Everitt had similar problems and really toned down the bum and thighs area and toned up the arms.

McEvoy is just 19. On the example of about seven current team members, who looked quite dodgy at the start of their careers, if he works unbelievably hard and is 100% committed then any weaknesses can be overcome. I hope he plays against Essendon this week, even if King is 99% fit. The more game time he has against good, but not outstanding, opposition the better. Mind you, the ruck front is pretty thin in the AFL this year, except for us.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:At the moment, he is clearly our No 3 ruckman. However, it is worth remembering that this was just his second AFL game. He has played a number of VFL games, but the gap is still wide in quality between the two comps. As I have said elsewhere, I think he is carrying too much weight, or at least the distribution of it is wrong. I remember a young Peter Everitt had similar problems and really toned down the bum and thighs area and toned up the arms.

McEvoy is just 19. On the example of about seven current team members, who looked quite dodgy at the start of their careers, if he works unbelievably hard and is 100% committed then any weaknesses can be overcome. I hope he plays against Essendon this week, even if King is 99% fit. The more game time he has against good, but not outstanding, opposition the better. Mind you, the ruck front is pretty thin in the AFL this year, except for us.
i think that is a lucky thing for the saints and for Mc Evoy. As a result it should get him some more game time this season

which teams have 2 strong ruckman in their sides???

Port Adelaide

and????

Geelong maybe

most teams have gone from 3 ruckman in the side to 1 ruckman and a makeshift one.

the saints have gone from 2 makeshift ruckmen to 2 strong ruckmen. occasionally git goes bakc to 1 and 1 make shift ruckman