The Buckley on Life

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Loyal
Club Player

The Buckley on Life

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/de ... 82939.html
Nathan Buckley wrote:IT'S easier to destroy than it is to create. This is true in life and in football
is it just me or does it immediately call into question a journalist's perspective when they start an article with the word "It's..."?
we all that it's bullcrap nathan. nothing you can do or say will detract from the fact that you are soft in the head mate.

suss
Club Player

I thought the article was well written and I think he's right - it is easier to destroy than it is to create. It's certainly easier to punch than it is to mark, easier to defend than attack.

And what's wrong with starting an article with "It's"?

Loyal
Club Player

starting an article with the word "It's..." immediately means you are an idiot and that you have nothing to say.
voss, suss, used to do it all the time when he wrote for the age. he would say "it's great .. and it's wonderful .. it's really scientific and it's a sign of the future..."
starting a paid presentation with the word "It's..." means that you are struggling for ideas and really have no opinion or ability to adequately express your thought's on a subject.
starting an article with "It's..." simply means that you are unable to put into words a concept of thought.
"It's..." simply means that you are unable to express yourself adequately and/or in a way that represents any value.
"It's..." simply means that you are an idiot that is unable to string two words together.
"It's...." means that you are unable to tie your own shoelaces.

Loyal
Club Player

suss wrote:And what's wrong with starting an article with "It's"?
"It's..." from a literary perspective is the equivalent of a clanger in football.

asiu

it's evidence i'm an idiot then ?

Loyal
Club Player

gazrat wrote:it's evidence i'm an idiot then ?
in as many words gazrat yes, yet however you've several thing's that one may forgive you of.

asiu

go on ....don't be scared

saint3d
Club Player

It seems to me you're just desperate to bag Buckley no matter what. Since his opinions hold their own (or you don't have a strong enough differing opinion), you're resorting to criticising his literacy skills?

'Nathan Buckley doesn't know anything about football. He couldn't tell a conjugation from an infinitive! Ha!'

He's a retired footballer opining on football. It's a fair bet he didn't study journalism at university. I'd still be more inclined to read an article by him than Caroline Wilson.

saint3d
Club Player

Loyal wrote:"It's..." from a literary perspective is the equivalent of a clanger in football.
Loyal wrote:in as many words gazrat yes, yet however you've several thing's that one may forgive you of.
Hmm... from a literary perspective I'd say you just gave away a 50 metre penalty for arguing with the umpire after you kicked it out of bounds on the full.

suss
Club Player

loyal wrote:starting an article with the word "It's..." immediately means you are an idiot and that you have nothing to say.
voss, suss, used to do it all the time when he wrote for the age. he would say "it's great .. and it's wonderful .. it's really scientific and it's a sign of the future..."
starting a paid presentation with the word "It's..." means that you are struggling for ideas and really have no opinion or ability to adequately express your thought's on a subject.
starting an article with "It's..." simply means that you are unable to put into words a concept of thought.
"It's..." simply means that you are unable to express yourself adequately and/or in a way that represents any value.
"It's..." simply means that you are an idiot that is unable to string two words together.
"It's...." means that you are unable to tie your own shoelaces.
Loyal, you certainly are one of the more unique individuals to have ever graced this forum.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Buckley's opinion? It's worth reading.

Loyal's opinion? It's not worth reading.

It is simple really.

Loyal
Club Player

it's a joke! buckley is a bloody idiot...

asiu

no,no,no

play

this could be an interesting afternoon on the boards

added with a tinge of sarcasm
as it used to be

bungiton
SS Life Member

I like Buckley, since He has left the Pies, his commentary is refreshing and thoughtful. His articles are also fairly informative.

The guy is obviously highly regarded in footy and will one day be a fairly decent coach.

Pity he played for the maggots really or else I'd almost put him up there with Harvey.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
asiu

it's a joke! buckley is a bloody idiot...

just in case anyone on the good ship ss , misses the significance

It's a pity

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I thought there might be a separate thread on this but I couldn't find one so I'll post it here.

Why would you use the word "easier" as the second word of your article?

He always takes the soft option.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
SteveStevens66
Club Player

The word "It's" or any other poorly chosen word or expression didn't have to be in the article if the Age had an editor doing what they were paid to do. They have no pride in their own papers and will publish anything, not matter how poorly written or how puerile. The level of print sports journalism in the Age and the HS is appalling.

Even if you hate soccer, log on to read any match report of an English Premier League game in the Guardian, Telegraph or The Times. You will be amazed at how superb the English is and then outraged at the rubbish that is dished up to us in Australian footy journalism.

Carna Saints!!!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:I like Buckley, since He has left the Pies, his commentary is refreshing and thoughtful. His articles are also fairly informative.

The guy is obviously highly regarded in footy and will one day be a fairly decent coach.

Agreed.

sankilda

so glad hes a filth icon lol

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

This thread has my nomination for worst thread of the year....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:This thread has my nomination for worst thread of the year....
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=52081

It's not the the worst.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
starsign
Club Player

loyal wrote:
[quote]"It's..." simply means that you are an idiot that is unable to string two words together. [quote]

you have be very wrong here because that is exactly what "it's" is ..... ie two words "it" & "is" strung together !!

asiu

This thread has my nomination for worst thread of the year....

awwwe....dont be like that ....get some vision

could have been a pearler if cousin it had of come out to play

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:I like Buckley, since He has left the Pies, his commentary is refreshing and thoughtful. His articles are also fairly informative.

Pity he played for the maggots really or else I'd almost put him up there with Harvey.

not quite...but he's a good special comments man these days ...enjoy lisrtening to him....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Loyal
Club Player

starsign wrote:loyal wrote:
you have be very wrong here because that is exactly what "it's" is ..... ie two words "it" & "is" strung together !!
starsign is a very bright light.

i'm just tired of the age and the way they present their article's. i don't know who 'it is' down there that loves it but they clearly have an issue.
michael voss was the worst at it. i think i counted around four-hundred-and-fifty "It'ss" in one of article's once:

"It's astonishing that it's really good and it's a sign of the time that it's come to this point. It really amazes me that it's all about brisbane and it's my right to say that it's all because of me that brisbane won its three premierships in a row. It's great, and when i say that it's great what i mean is that it's really really good or something and nothing"
- Michael Its Voss, no it isn't yes it is.