A win full of self-belief under trying circumstances

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

A win full of self-belief under trying circumstances

The trying circumstances...

- Saints on a 6-day break
- Bombers on a 9-day break
- King very under-done
- Playing a team whose clear strength is in the area of pace and run-and-carry coming off a 6-day break
- Some of our good-ordinary players were more ordinary than good tonight

Why it was full of self-belief??..
- When both teams were equally fresh at the beginning of the game we smashed 'em
- The pressure was applied and we soaked up everything they had to offer
- Zac was caught 1-out on a quality FF more tonight than in all of the last 7 weeks combined, and he stood up magnificently
- When tired / pressured, our boys didn't revert to their old selves.... maintaining the belief in the new game plan and executing accordingly

Well done Saints... an important mental hurdle overcome tonight.

And FWIW... I HATE twilight games!!!

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

And, Essendon played well to their game plan. They played one on one with no loose man in defence which cut our run out ( Fisher, Gram, etc). They then pushed the ball wide at stoppages and used their pace.

We won it in the first quarter (obviously) when our skill was able to exert itself and while they made simple skill errors. As the game wore on, we were going to need all of the 28 point lead. We (Kosi and Nick) also kicked clutch goals.

Interestingly, most people tipped us to win by about three goals. They were right.
Last edited by perfectionist on Sun 17 May 2009 9:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: A win full of self-belief under trying circumstances

i thought it was unconvincing and a wake-up call, though i take the point about the bombers coming off a 9-day break and us a 6-day break.

they're on their way to being a very good side and took the points in three of the four quarters. they are quick and attacking.

our tackling and pressure isn't as effective against guys that we cannot catch.

perhaps we needed an extra runner to combat their extreme pace.

starsign
Club Player

good comments...my thoughts exacltly We knew it was going to be a tough ask, with their leg speed and confidence building win v Hawks last start and their 9 to 6 day prep advantage The 1st Q showed it all though and we guttsed it out for a good win sticking to the game plan
No doubt we can learn from it , but hell its extremely hard and against most odds to string 8 wins straight these days and we could have nearly been excused for dropping this one , but the boys were not going to do that !
Great stuff and any knockers can bite there bums IMHO!!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't know why people are anxious, Essendon are the in form team in the comp right now....

The saints are fast becoming the yard stick of the comp, and will be increasingly challenged as other sides test themselves against us.

Teams get up for the big games, and can you get much better?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

IMO it was what it was, we won against a pretty good team without really clicking... a good sign.

IMO Dawson played his worst game for the club and was lucky not to get pinged countless times for obvious holding in the last quarter...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Marcus1232
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:IMO it was what it was, we won against a pretty good team without really clicking... a good sign.

IMO Dawson played his worst game for the club and was lucky not to get pinged countless times for obvious holding in the last quarter...
I completely agree with u on dawson.

We did what we had to do never looked like losing but never looked like blowing them out fo the water either

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So why is Dawson getting votes then from a high portion of the Saintsational public? People see such different perspectives in a match, it's quite strange at times....

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:So why is Dawson getting votes then from a high portion of the Saintsational public? ....
From 10 of the first 19 in fact. Easily our best backman tonight, when one on ones were the order of the night. If that's going to be his "worst" effort, he has a bright future.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:So why is Dawson getting votes then from a high portion of the Saintsational public? ....
From 10 of the first 19 in fact. Easily our best backman tonight, when one on ones were the order of the night. If that's going to be his "worst" effort, he has a bright future.
Oh I agree, that is why I brought it up :wink:

Winmar
Club Player

It wasn't a very impressive performance, but I guess the fact that we still beat them without playing all that well is impressive in itself! I'm just glad the game's over with.