not everyones a fan- Main?/

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

not everyones a fan- Main?/

http://insidefootballonline.com/main.html
Jim Main had a surprisingly anti saints article a few weeks ago and has again cast the negative vibes around'
whilst I know not everyone has to be a "FAN" - But
_____________________________________------

Let’s hope Saints’ luck doesn’t run out
St Kilda fans will hate this, but here goes anyway: the Saints have been bloody lucky this year.
This is not casting doubts on their right to be where they are on the AFL ladder and the comment is not intended to denigrate the Saints, but they have been blessed with an almost injury-free run.
And, by and large, keeping your best cattle on the ground goes a long way to winning premierships.
Just a couple of years ago St Kilda could have gone broke just through its spending on tape, plaster and bandages.
Now, however, the Saints barely need a Band-Aid. Sick and tired of long injury lists, the club revamped its medical department and is reaping the rewards. So good luck to them.
Other clubs never seem to learn. They refuse to adopt the latest medical advice and procedures and even commit that cardinal sin of playing unfit players.
No names, but we all have seen this season how players can exacerbate fitness problems in being sent back into action with a niggle, or something worse.
One particular club once followed the credo that if a player could walk, he could play. Busted jaw, busted finger, wonky knee, whatever. Just get out there and do your best.
It always has been a recipe for disaster and, fortunately, we are seeing an increasing awareness of the benefits of the latest medical thinking and technology.
However, this does not mean players can avoid broken bones, torn or ruptured knee ligaments or hamstrings pulled from the bone.
Take Essendon’s David Hille, for example. He had a knee reconstruction following the most innocuous incident imaginable. He simply landed awkwardly on a knee in the Anzac Day match against Collingwood and was ruled out for the rest of the season.
How many times have we seen players land like this and not twist a toenail?
Luck can have a hell of a lot do with it and, if you look at the recent premiership sides, few have had more than the occasional injury worry through their respective flag seasons.
Every man and his dog remarked that the Sydney Swans had a remarkable injury-free run over the 2005-06 seasons when they made consecutive Grand Finals and, to a certain extent, they were fortunate.
Ditto for the West Coast Eagles, runners-up in 2005 and premiers in 2006.
Geelong had the occasional injury worry in 2007, but nothing too serious, and likewise for the Hawks last season.
But look at the Hawks this season! Their list has been decimated by one injury after another and Hawk fans must be wondering if there in some post-premiership curse.
Essendon has had the worst run imaginable over the past season and a half and, to its credit, has still been able to impress.
Melbourne also has had its injury problems and surely deserves a change of fortune, while North Melbourne is learning all about the need to have player depth.
St Kilda, however, has been able to play basically the same side week after week this season. Its team sheets in the Friday morning papers generally reads “no changeâ€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Inside Football? Still in circulation, is it? That's a surprise.

Jim Main's opinion? Yikes. I rate his view as highly as those who write the Football Record. Irrelevant and outdated.

Even if he was pumping us up, I couldn't lend his view any more credence than our more learned posters on here.

Pass.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

We played swans in the prelim

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

we've got most positions covered in case of injury imo.

we've two very good key position players waiting in the wings in max and goose, a good reserve ruckman itching for another chance and guys like raph, eddy and armitage and leigh fisher to bolster defence and the midfield. and that's only scratching the surface.

in fact i can't think of one player we can't cover in case of injury (touch wood). so long as there is not a spate of bad ones to key players.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 20 May 2009 7:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

a bit of the article is fair comment....but he is dead wrong on the prelim game against his swans...i think the writing was on the wall long before 3 quarter time...the saints had run out of luck and players by then......he doesn't even get the game right ffs...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Some of it is fair, but if I prepared an essay that full of generalisations in HSC I would have failed.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:a bit of the article is fair comment....but he is dead wrong on the prelim game against his swans...i think the writing was on the wall long before 3 quarter time...the saints had run out of luck and players by then......he doesn't even get the game right ffs...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yep in hindsight you are right..we'd hae struggled to field a competitve side in the GF if we'd made it..but I guess when Rooey kicked that goal in the 3rd quarter we did get a bit excited ;-)

Hmm..so injuries are 100% luck eh? Might as well save some cash and get rid of our rehab and fitness staff eh?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

He's just a bitter and cranky old bastard. Enough said

Another opportunity awaits!
saint1974
Club Player

Jim who???????????

Solar
Saintsational Legend

so jim's swans were just lucky... and to think some of us thought good management was the key to injuries.....

as everton says, not worth the paper it's written on

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
stinger wrote:a bit of the article is fair comment....but he is dead wrong on the prelim game against his swans...i think the writing was on the wall long before 3 quarter time...the saints had run out of luck and players by then......he doesn't even get the game right ffs...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yep in hindsight you are right..we'd hae struggled to field a competitve side in the GF if we'd made it..but I guess when Rooey kicked that goal in the 3rd quarter we did get a bit excited ;-)

Hmm..so injuries are 100% luck eh? Might as well save some cash and get rid of our rehab and fitness staff eh?
agree with your post.........i was getting a bit more relaxed around half time.......and up until the time you mentioned....extremely pissed off thereafter.........bad play by a couple of sainters cost us dearly too.....and i was completely pissed off by guerra...who appeared to have the s***s...at the time i voiced the opinion that i hoped that that would be the last time he prick played for us.....pity he's come good at the dork tough......

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Am genuinely surprised that Jim Main is still actively writing, and even more surprised that the Inside Footy is still in circulation.

But, I do have a soft spot for the Inside Footy, as I do remember winning a competition run by Inside Footy, back in 1970-71, and scoring a brand new pair of adidas boots handed to me by Ted Whitten.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Am genuinely surprised that Jim Main is still actively writing, and even more surprised that the Inside Footy is still in circulation.

But, I do have a soft spot for the Inside Footy, as I do remember winning a competition run by Inside Footy, back in 1970-71, and scoring a brand new pair of adidas boots handed to me by Ted Whitten.
Used to be a wonderful publication...in the late 1960s and early 1970s. But that's a long, long time ago.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah, it was everton. Used to look forward to it coming out every Wednesday ( I think)

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Yeah, it was everton. Used to look forward to it coming out every Wednesday ( I think)
Ads for OJ Simpson flogging adidas boots, previews of how a 166,000 Waverley Park would look, EJ being named at CHB and CHF in the team of the year....great stuff.

But footy has changed and so has the media. It's pretty much 24/7 now, so the weekly wait for IF has been rendered almost redundant.

The future for magazines lies with things like Football Quarterly, methinks.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Main is stating the obvious...teams without injuries almost always win matches/premierships!!!

His team the swans only won in 05 due to a virtual nil injury list all year and the disgraceful decision to allow Hall to play in the Grandfinal after punching Maguire in the solar plexus...

Love tap and in the play apparently :roll:

Hope he is even less of a fan of ours when we win the bloody thing :x

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:
EJ being named at CHB and CHF in the team of the year....great stuff.

Too true, was a popular man with the media back then.

I also remember the 165,000 capacity VFL Park plans mooted back then.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:the disgraceful decision to allow Hall to play in the Grandfinal after punching Maguire in the solar plexus
it was blatant favourtism towards sydney winning a flag. a black mark on all involved.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Jim Main is a surley w@nker.

He hates the Saints and I hate him...

Give it away Jim, you're past it just like your Swans

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Am genuinely surprised that Jim Main is still actively writing, and even more surprised that the Inside Footy is still in circulation.

got everone of every issue...must read them someday..........

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:Jim Main is a surley w@nker.

He hates the Saints and I hate him...

Give it away Jim, you're past it just like your Swans

true.....

spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure even if we win the flag this year, some critics will still be saying "but who did they beat.."

Superboot
SS Life Member

I would have thought that the essence of being a St Kilda supporter is that you never count your chickens before they are hatched.

Also, did anyone, anyone, think we had the prelim against Sydney in the bag at 3/4 time :?: :shock:

Loyal
Club Player

Jim - you make your own luck!

Footy Classified - NO ROOM FOR THE, who farted?
aussiejones
Club Player

"Main is stating the obvious...teams without injuries almost always win matches"

Poor article ,its been said before but as a positive ie our attention to fitness AND smart recruiting.

main is a hack with a grudge.