Decision by Friday. Rd 14 !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Decision by Friday. Rd 14 !!

I heard on radio this morning that the AFL have until COB on Friday 29/5 to decide whether or not the Rd 14 match between St Kilda & Geelong is to be moved from Etihad Stadium to the MCG.

This seems to have died off over the past week and unless the hype is ramped up over the next 24 hours I can see the game staying at Etihad !!

Loyal
Club Player

I for one would prefer that the game be held at Docklands, but that's just MY opinion and I doesn't make a difference what I think. I also believe that my opinion is what the broader population agree with.
However, I don't believe that the game should be moved on the basis of what the disassociated media think would be best for everyone. What the media may believe is good for St Kilda may not and is not in this case what is best for St Kilda.
We are the best team on the park at the moment and I for one do not believe that we need to start moving games at the whim of and for the disassociated media's appetite.
This is OUR home game. Why should we sacrifice the distinct advantage that we have with this fixture. It's OUR home game. We need to keep it that way, for the Members and the Fans.

Footy Classified - NO ROOM FOR THE, who farted?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Decision by Friday. Rd 14 !!

has to be at the mcg.

i'll bet not one player would turn down the challenge of playing the benchmark team before a huge crowd in a finals-type atmosphere at the ground where premierships are won.

we also need a look at the venue before september.

it's a no-brainer imo.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 28 May 2009 8:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

StSteven
Club Player

It is in Saints interest to have it at MCG. H&A is not an issue now,finals preparationi s a priority.

Loyal
Club Player

big picture: we dont need to play at the MCG any more than four (4) times. why put ourselves and our members at a disadvantage?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

If both Geelong and St.Kilda win this weekend, they are guaranteed to be 1st and 2nd after round 13.
The game should be at the MCG. It's in the best interests of St.Kilda, Geelong and the AFL.

Loyal
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:If both Geelong and St.Kilda win this weekend, they are guaranteed to be 1st and 2nd after round 13.
The game should be at the MCG. It's in the best interests of St.Kilda, Geelong and the AFL.
why? why is it in the best interests of st kilda? the gate?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

It is in St.Kilda's best interests because -

1 - the gate.

2 - playing on the ground the finals are played on against a side that will play finals.

3 - our players will play in a finals atmosphere infront of 70,000+.

4- a bigger ground is better preparation ahead of the game at subiaco the following week.

5 - big games are played and won on the MCG.

Loyal
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:It is in St.Kilda's best interests because -

1 - the gate.

2 - playing on the ground the finals are played on against a side that will play finals.

3 - our players will play in a finals atmosphere infront of 70,000+.

4- a bigger ground is better preparation ahead of the game at subiaco the following week.

5 - big games are played and won on the MCG.
well i disagree.
1. the gate does not neccessarily translate into a dramatically improved taking.
2. we will get plenty of practice in round 22 and without demonstrating what we know we are capable of to an audience ie. keeping the rabbit in the warren.
3. we are going to be there in any case come finals. we do NOT need to experience atmosphere until we experience atmosphere.
4. we do NOT need to wear ourselves out at the MCG prior to a game at Subi that is of same or equal importance in the context of a H&A season.
5. so what big games are won every week and at the MCG. big H&A games are won at Docklands within the context of securing the fact that what we need to do above all else is finish 1st on the ladder.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

well i disagree.
1. the gate does not neccessarily translate into a dramatically improved taking.
2. we will get plenty of practice in round 22 and without demonstrating what we know we are capable of to an audience ie. keeping the rabbit in the warren.
3. we are going to be there in any case come finals. we do NOT need to experience atmosphere until we experience atmosphere.
4. we do NOT need to wear ourselves out at the MCG prior to a game at Subi that is of same or equal importance in the context of a H&A season.
5. so what big games are won every week and at the MCG. big H&A games are won at Docklands within the context of securing the fact that what we need to do above all else is finish 1st on the ladder.
Each to their own, there's obviously valid arguments either way. But if I believe the people sponsoring, running, coaching and playing at the St.Kilda Football Club would prefer this match to be at the MCG. For the club to have this proposal put infront of them is an excellent achievement.

HarveysDeciple

Im not sure any bad can come out of playing more games at the G.

Not ideal to go into the finals on the back of one game at the MCG in the whole season.

Especially when it's round 22 against a wooden spoon favourite who may not even want to beat us in the game, if they say have 4 wins for the year.

Duggie
Club Player

The Mighty $$$ will dictate. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
Loyal
Club Player

HD, it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't...
.... Melbourne may not want to win four games yet we only need to play at the MCG four times to win the flag.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I'm surprized that absolutely no mention in the media about the Essendon vs Geelong game being played at TD this week.

Why no movement to have this game moved to the MCG. The Bummers have been flying high since the Anzac Day game and there is a greater argument for fans being disenfranchised in this game than there is about the Saints vs Geelong game.
Essendon has far more members & supporters than us, so therefore one would expect an even bigger crowd than the Saints vs Geelong game.

I'm ignoring all the reasons why we would want to contemplate moving the game, just asking why there has been zero discussion in the media about moving the Essendon v Geelong game on a similar basis?

Loyal
Club Player

Again MM the issue remains to be fixturing.
The fact that this game is scheduled for a Sunday historically dictates that it will be a smaller crowd than it would be if it were to be held on a Saturday.
Docklands is OUR home ground. We don't get to play Finals there so why should we avoid playing a H&A game there at any available opportunity.
Ppl in the media are saying 70k+ but why? In all honesty if the game were to be played at the MCG the crowd would likely be somewhere in the order of sixty on a Sunday.

55 @ Docklands or 60 @ the MCG?

asiu

it's a no-brainer imo.
he is isn't he

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I thought early on that it would be moved. Now, I don't believe it will. The AFL issues with the MCG are overriding the ones with Docklands at the moment, so I think they will keep it where it is just to prove a point.

Will be interesting to see the AFL decision and to see whether their feelings towards the 2 stadiums and the stadium deals do influence the decision.

Liam_G
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:I'm surprized that absolutely no mention in the media about the Essendon vs Geelong game being played at TD this week.
There is already a match being played at the MCG on that day (a Collingwood home game). The only reason it has been mooted for Round 14 is because the venue is FREE. If a match was already scheduled at the MCG on that Sunday in Round 14 then discussions on moving the match would never have even been bought to the table. End of Story.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I'm surprized that absolutely no mention in the media about the Essendon vs Geelong game being played at TD this week.

Why no movement to have this game moved to the MCG. The Bummers have been flying high since the Anzac Day game and there is a greater argument for fans being disenfranchised in this game than there is about the Saints vs Geelong game.
Essendon has far more members & supporters than us, so therefore one would expect an even bigger crowd than the Saints vs Geelong game.

I'm ignoring all the reasons why we would want to contemplate moving the game, just asking why there has been zero discussion in the media about moving the Essendon v Geelong game on a similar basis?
Maybe because 3-4 weeks ago when they would have had to move Essendon werent going as well as they are now. Also I dont think both sides are unbeaten and as such non supporters of both clubs probably dont have an interest in the game. Of course our game should be moved but it will not be which is disappointing. Our CEO is happy to move it as he said at lunch on Sunday but I really dont think it will happen.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Liam_G wrote:
There is already a match being played at the MCG on that day (a Collingwood home game). The only reason it has been mooted for Round 14 is because the venue is FREE. If a match was already scheduled at the MCG on that Sunday in Round 14 then discussions on moving the match would never have even been bought to the table. End of Story.
Thanks for the info - that's obviously the reason why no discussion - too difficult to move 2 games.

jb

Am a saints member from perth and dont expect the game to be switched to the 'G'.

Have booked a flight to come over and catch the game.

What do you guys think are my best chances are of getting a ticket to this blockbuster if its held at docklands?
Last edited by jb on Thu 28 May 2009 5:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It'll be a disgrace if the game isn't moved.

St Kilda could get 90,000 to a home match. And we could win. On the MCG. Against Geelong.

If you don't want to be a part of that, geez - get out of the way.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

sainter35
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:It'll be a disgrace if the game isn't moved.

St Kilda could get 90,000 to a home match. And we could win. On the MCG. Against Geelong.

If you don't want to be a part of that, geez - get out of the way.
I'm just really surprised everybody doesn't feel the same way.

bob__71
Club Player

I got the flights booked and will be pissed if I cant get tix

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

jb wrote:Am a saints member from perth and dont expect the game to be switched to the 'G'.

Have booked a flight to come over and catch the game.

What do you guys think are my best chances are of getting a ticket to this blockbuster if its held at docklands?
I think as good as any Cats supporter or non St Kilda member jb. Just get in early with whoever sells the tix. Find out when they go sale and get on the dog and bone, it will be a beauty!!!