Rookie list management

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

blames

Rookie list management

I was just wondering about the rules regarding rookie elevation with Dempster, Goose and Max all returning from long term injury. Under what conditions are players returned to the rookie list? If Dempster, Goose and Max are all fit at what point are rookies like Dawson forced to return to the rookie list. Is it in the hands of the club or are there specific league rules regarding this?

While Dempster appears a long way off still it would seem the Saints have some very difficult decisions to make leading up to the Geelong game. I think Ross Lyon would want to test what he believes is his best possible against Geelong. With Goose, Max, and Armitage in the twos he might want to trial them in the seniors before the Geelong game to see what he has got.

It might seem I am placing too much emphasis on the Geelong game, but I believe this is the team that we have to get past to win a flag. Ross Lyon, I believe, would want to know exactly where he stands with his best possible team now rather than in September giving his time to make adjustments. Obviously there maybe injuries before the Geelong game that decide team selection for him.

This is my first post so please forgive me if I have stated the obvious or appeared naive at any point.

Please, just one more flag
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Dawson is elevated for Allen and he is still a fair way off from playing at any level so don't have to worry about it untill then, but we now have Xavier Clarke on the long term injury so no worries with keep Dawson on the list.

BTW once a player has returned it's not a choice the rookie goes down again. And the rnd 14 game is a just a Home and Away game the same and just as important as the previous 13.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rookie list management

blames wrote:I was just wondering about the rules regarding rookie elevation with Dempster, Goose and Max all returning from long term injury. Under what conditions are players returned to the rookie list? If Dempster, Goose and Max are all fit at what point are rookies like Dawson forced to return to the rookie list. Is it in the hands of the club or are there specific league rules regarding this?
i think you'll find that x clarke and allen are still on the long term injury list, although allen might be back before the end of the year? can't remember.

but that means that dawson can take xavier's spot for the entire year without an issue. the only other rookie who looks like being elevated at this point is miles, who's been emergency a couple of times. he can easily have allen's spot now.

also there's a rule starting this year that a rookie can be elevated after round 12, without needing to take someone's spot. this is only three rounds away so we shouldn't have too many issues unless another rookie starts playing well enough to be promoted, which seems unlikely at this point.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Miles has already been elevated.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

St.Kilda are also allowed to elevate an extra rookie (which is Dawson) all season because we only have one player on the veterans list.