Being Hunted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Being Hunted

For the rest of the year I think we are going to see games like the Melbourne one - Teams throw everything at us in the first 2 quarters to try and break us - then as the pressure is too intense drop off for the rest of the game. It is against the good teams that the pressure will be all four quarters.

So people dont be dismayed if the so called easy beats are within a few kicks at half time - eventually the Saints pressure will grind them down. Then it is time for the Saints to 'choke the life out of them'!!!!

[Personally - I think Melbourne played a fantastic game for the first half - and against any other opposition (except Geelong) would probably have been leading]

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
claystreet
Club Player

Our boys are tired and i dont think all the 6 day breaks and travelling to a sodden GC helped at all. They still stamped their authority when they needed too and we got away with the 4 points.

If they take that sort of game into round 14 we will get flogged, Geelong will show no mercy.

We have looked to be running out of legs the last 3 weeks but still winning against teams that have taken us on, and now comes the chance to freshen up with a break just around the corner.

Lookin Good with no injuries per se

8-)

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Mick Malthouse commented before the Collingwood game that St Kilda likes to get numbers behind the ball. He was wrong. It's the other teams who put a man in front of Riewoldt that allows the Saints to play a loose man in defence. Malthouse played Maxwell there, and we played what would have been his opponent back too - and won by a 1000 goals.

The next week, Essendon did not do this and played one on one, as did Brisbane and as did Melbourne. The games have been almost identical. When there is no loose man in defence, our defence will obviously be under more pressure and will be reliant on mid fields to get back and help out. The run that we saw though the centre in the first 7 matches has pretty much disappeared.

But, the other side of the equation is this - Nick Riewoldt. He will beat an opponent, one opponent, 80% of the time and win us the game, which he has also done in the last three weeks.

Essendon missed one or two of their opportunities, Brisbane made the most of theirs (10 goals from 10 set shots) and Melbourne messed up plenty, especially in the last quarter.

No doubt teams will continue to play this way on us, and hope for a better return on their chances. However, our last 15 minutes of the three games should give pause for thought if teams think that we will just roll over.

As I have said before, each win takes us closer to out first defeat. We need to play more like when we are challenged with one or two handballs and a direct kick to a contest (Nick or Kosi) rather than four or five, a mess up and a ball up. From what our coach said after the match he is well aware of the over possessing. Perhaps we could try a loose man ourselves on occasion even if they man him up. A crowded opposition forward line is not ideal for scoring.

claystreet
Club Player

Being physically spent and over tired leads to brain fades and yes the opposition have worked us out a bit over the last 3 weeks.

I thought the Brissy game might have cost us and i was preparing for the recession/loss we had to have, going to have. Hope we get it out of the way before the grand final.

:wink:

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

actually Malbourne played 2 players loose in defence at some stages!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
villasaint
Club Player

very well put perfectionist. I could not have said it better myself.

starsign
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:actually Malbourne played 2 players loose in defence at some stages!
pretty much all of the second half I thought

Cirra
Club Player

Melbourne had the super flood going for all of the 2nd half.
Sitting in the stadium you couldn't see a Melbourne player in their F50 after half time which is why they only had it in there 10 times.

No way they went man on man at all.

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
Milton66
SS Life Member

Why is everyone worried about round 14/ so what if they beat us. We beat the Hawks last year. fat lot of good that did us in the prelim.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Milton66 wrote:Why is everyone worried about round 14/ so what if they beat us. We beat the Hawks last year. fat lot of good that did us in the prelim.
I was thinking the same thing myself.. Will everyone be happy if we win round 14 and the Cats win the flag? I couldn't care about round 14, there are much bigger things at stake.

starsign
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:Why is everyone worried about round 14/ so what if they beat us. We beat the Hawks last year. fat lot of good that did us in the prelim.
someone posted an interesting stat a little while ago about the number of premiers who actually got beaten by the runner-up during the season
Can't recall exactly but it was significant evidently

benengel14
Club Player

starsign wrote:
someone posted an interesting stat a little while ago about the number of premiers who actually got beaten by the runner-up during the season
Can't recall exactly but it was significant evidently
Might be another correlation and causation fallacy

kaos theory
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:Mick Malthouse commented before the Collingwood game that St Kilda likes to get numbers behind the ball. He was wrong. It's the other teams who put a man in front of Riewoldt that allows the Saints to play a loose man in defence. Malthouse played Maxwell there, and we played what would have been his opponent back too - and won by a 1000 goals.

The next week, Essendon did not do this and played one on one, as did Brisbane and as did Melbourne. The games have been almost identical. When there is no loose man in defence, our defence will obviously be under more pressure and will be reliant on mid fields to get back and help out. The run that we saw though the centre in the first 7 matches has pretty much disappeared.

But, the other side of the equation is this - Nick Riewoldt. He will beat an opponent, one opponent, 80% of the time and win us the game, which he has also done in the last three weeks.

Essendon missed one or two of their opportunities, Brisbane made the most of theirs (10 goals from 10 set shots) and Melbourne messed up plenty, especially in the last quarter.

No doubt teams will continue to play this way on us, and hope for a better return on their chances. However, our last 15 minutes of the three games should give pause for thought if teams think that we will just roll over.

As I have said before, each win takes us closer to out first defeat. We need to play more like when we are challenged with one or two handballs and a direct kick to a contest (Nick or Kosi) rather than four or five, a mess up and a ball up. From what our coach said after the match he is well aware of the over possessing. Perhaps we could try a loose man ourselves on occasion even if they man him up. A crowded opposition forward line is not ideal for scoring.
Don't fully agree with that.

When you look at the games where we were smashing sides, the possesion count was still very high.

Our biggest issue atm imo is that our skill execution is down a bit. Could be b/c of the one-on-one play, but I also think we are just 'off the boil' a little. This is new territory for us. We need another belting to get us going again...

Look at the pies game - we shared the ball a lot (i.e. a lot of handball). The difference is that is was quick movement of the ball through good skill execution & good decision making.. When you execute the right disposal properly, that adds pace to your game. Not doing that quite to the level we once were.

RL also made note of this as well.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I made a point last week, that teams get up for the big opponents. Being the inform team of the comp, we have certainly found this to be the case with teams throwing everything at us.

Maybe, just maybe....we are guilty of a similar mindset. So far this year, the bigger the opponent, the more we have risen to the occasion? The lower ranked sides, not so much...

Dunno, just throwing it out there.