Melbourne is a good side

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

James
Club Player

Melbourne is a good side

7 points to Western Bulldogs.
Ran riot over Hawthorn in their second half.

Only getting a six goal win over the bottom side isn't as pathetic as it sounds.

Calm down everyone.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

No we are gone.

How pathetic are we?

We are only 10-0. As someone said last night we should be at least 12-0 at this point of the season.

We need to drop at least ten players including Kosi - Lenny - Dal - Roo - the whole backline - all the assistant coaches - the bootstudder - and the waterboy.

Only then will we be able to get to the top of the ladder with a defence of over 120 better than the next best - ahead of third place by four games and 80% and have a win/loss % of 183.

We are gone unless Ross Lyons stops being such a softc@ck and drops the ten I suggest - bring in Stanley and Eljay - reinstate Grant Thomas - determine the players wellness charts and then take them all to the movies.

We are gone and you know it. You are in denial. Easily the worst most pathetic 10-0 St.Kilda team I have ever seen.

I am extremely concerned at the way we are travelling. I think Ross has lost the players and it is rumoured that Hutchy will break exclusively on the Footy Show that Roo asked Ross to resign and that Rod Butters and zig and zag will become co-coaches.

As i said I am extremely concerned.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
kaos theory
Club Player

Agreed JB.

Its crisis time down at Linton st!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:As someone said last night we should be at least 12-0 at this point of the season.
lol.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:No we are gone.

How pathetic are we?

We are only 10-0. As someone said last night we should be at least 12-0 at this point of the season.

We should be 12-0?, what about those bloody nab cup games, more like 14-0, and im not even including those intraclub games we lost. We still havent beaten anyone above us!

If youre happy with mediocrity thats your business, lets hope the players dont see it your way :wink:

Before Im 85
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

For the statistical inclined out there. Have we in fact beaten anybody above us on the ladder this season?
Where were Adelaide after rnd 1? Above us or below us?
I think they're the only possible team to have been above us?

Thomas
Club Player

We have not beaten anybody worthy, lets take the team to the movies. :twisted:

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:For the statistical inclined out there. Have we in fact beaten anybody above us on the ladder this season?
No, they were below us.

They beat the Pies by a kick in round 1, we beat the Swans by 15 pts and had a slightly better percentage.

The Saints are coming!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

One thing I will say is Melbourne arent a good side.May become one but lets face it have won one out of ten.That isnt a good side.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, you cant call Melbourne a good side

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Give Melbourne a little credit, they are a better side than last year, they are only getting beaten, not smashed every week like last year.
What movie would you recommend the players go see after their 10 wins?

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne aside - do we seriously get lost on new grounds.....

Isn't making me stress less about possible MCG appearances later in the year. It always seems to be a factor.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Melbourne aside - do we seriously get lost on new grounds.....

Isn't making me stress less about possible MCG appearances later in the year. It always seems to be a factor.
Let us enjoy the next 4 weeks at Etihad, no point worrying about venues past the next month...

Saints7
Club Player

demons = woeful....at least 6 years a way and about 18 new players to get any good.

saints play brilliantly on the Dome....hope to god that all the finals are there....

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:For the statistical inclined out there. Have we in fact beaten anybody above us on the ladder this season?
For the record after Round 1

Ladder

1 Carlton 1 1 0 0 150 67 223.88 4
2 W Bulldogs 1 1 0 0 157 94 167.02 4
3 Port Adel 1 1 0 0 107 66 162.12 4
4 Nth Melb 1 1 0 0 101 67 150.75 4
5 St Kilda 1 1 0 0 80 65 123.08 4
6 Bris Lions 1 1 0 0 95 86 110.47 4
7 Geelong 1 1 0 0 111 103 107.77 4
8 Adelaide 1 1 0 0 90 86 104.65 4

After Round 2

1 Carlton 2 2 0 0 269 167 161.08 8
2 W Bulldogs 2 2 0 0 237 159 149.06 8
3 St Kilda 2 2 0 0 181 134 135.07 8
4 Geelong 2 2 0 0 216 188 114.89 8
5 Cwood 2 1 1 0 203 154 131.82 4
6 W Coast 2 1 1 0 211 170 124.12 4
7 Nth Melb 2 1 1 0 166 147 112.93 4
8 Sydney 2 1 1 0 208 185 112.43 4

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
No, they were below us.

They beat the Pies by a kick in round 1, we beat the Swans by 15 pts and had a slightly better percentage.
Thanks.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Coincidentally (or not?) The Cats game vs Melbourne was remarkably similar in style, flow and result.

I agree that our performances in recent weeks have been sluggish, but I'd ike to think that when there's a real test our mob will lift markedly.

North Melbourne will be interesting. Back home, under roof, and likely to have a few fresh faces in (McEvoy for Gardiner, possibly Maguire or Max for Gilbert if he doesn't get up, Milney back).

I would expect this game against a side, frankly, that simply HAS to win, will be a very good test. I'm anticipating a fairly convincing performance from St Kilda. If don't get one, well, then I'll start thinking about who might need a spell at Sandy...

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, but I thought Melbourne looked like a headless chicken running around. We were a bit sloppy the other night but could have easily had an 8 goal win.

yipper
SS Life Member

How pathetic are we?

We need to drop at least ten players including Kosi - Lenny - Dal - Roo - the whole backline - all the assistant coaches - the bootstudder - and the waterboy.

Only then will we be able to get to the top of the ladder with a defence of over 120 better than the next best - ahead of third place by four games and 80% and have a win/loss % of 183.

We are gone unless Ross Lyons stops being such a softc@ck and drops the ten I suggest - bring in Stanley and Eljay - reinstate Grant Thomas - determine the players wellness charts and then take them all to the movies.

We are gone and you know it. You are in denial. Easily the worst most pathetic 10-0 St.Kilda team I have ever seen.

I am extremely concerned at the way we are travelling. I think Ross has lost the players and it is rumoured that Hutchy will break exclusively on the Footy Show that Roo asked Ross to resign and that Rod Butters and zig and zag will become co-coaches.

Very harsh on the waterboy Joff. I have it on good authority that he is performing well above average at this stage. Rest of your post I agree. We are not travelling well at all - 10-0 is ridiculously poor at this stage of the year!! Should be better!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

The Dees actually have a good in & under midfield but lack a playmaker & outside runners (with the exception of Davey who was another victim of the Jones boy)

McLean, Mahoney, McDonald are all tough nuts & tackle very well (as we found out). Bruce & Green are not the players they once were & young Morton & Grimes will be guns but not for a few years.

As a bottom side you can pressure the top sides with physical pressure for periods of games (as we did through most of the 80's!) but eventually the class shines through.

Having said that if we'd kicked straight it would have been a 10+ goal win

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:The Dees actually have a good in & under midfield but lack a playmaker & outside runners (with the exception of Davey who was another victim of the Jones boy)

McLean, Mahoney, McDonald are all tough nuts & tackle very well (as we found out). Bruce & Green are not the players they once were & young Morton & Grimes will be guns but not for a few years.

As a bottom side you can pressure the top sides with physical pressure for periods of games (as we did through most of the 80's!) but eventually the class shines through.

Having said that if we'd kicked straight it would have been a 10+ goal win
Agree with what you say, but who is Mahoney? :o

The Saints are coming!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dees are much better than they were...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
d roit
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:Having said that if we'd kicked straight it would have been a 10+ goal win
Exactly. Had we kicked straight and won by 60+ points we wouldnt have been worried about anything as the scoreboard would have truly reflected the around the ground domination.

Also we would be praising our teams ability to once again completely shut out a team for a whole quarter/half.

The only worrying thing is that for two weeks in a row our inaccuracy has prevented us from stifling our opponents into submission.

I think some other team had some problems with inaccuracy last year, especially in a final.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Sorry, but I thought Melbourne looked like a headless chicken running around. We were a bit sloppy the other night but could have easily had an 8 goal win.
Well then, we were less than two goals short of that target.

With some accurate kicking, we would have won by 10 which would have reflected the actual difference between the sides.

Melbourne had a dip in the first half and, combined with some clangers and sloppy play from us resulted in the game being close.

After half time we stepped up the intensity and were more polished in our movement of the ball and they were never a chance.

marksnsparks
Club Player

How pathetic are we?

It was funny the first time you said this JB, not so funny now....